IGNORED

Orthodox Jews and stripes

Conuly

But what is up with Orthodox Jews and stripes? Why is it the fashion choice when it's definitely not so fashionable in the rest of the world?

I can understand the 3/4 sleeves, and the long skirts, and the tights, and the specific religious garb, and dressing all your kids alike as happens in large families of all religions, but... what's with the stripes?

I've asked this in other places, but the only answer I've gotten is "Other Jews think that Hasidim are kinda nuts", which is good to know but not very helpful in answering that question. (Although it does seem to hint that there's no real religious reason for it, because were there I'm sure somebody would have the answer!)

On a similar note, why do women in the FLDS compounds all seem to wear their hair in the same ugly style?

No religious reason for stripes.

I'm guessing that it's not as boring as all solid colors, but also still pretty conservative and not a wild print. In some traditional Hasidic groups, the idea is to look dignified and neat, but not trendy/fashionable.

No religious reason for stripes.

I'm guessing that it's not as boring as all solid colors, but also still pretty conservative and not a wild print. In some traditional Hasidic groups, the idea is to look dignified and neat, but not trendy/fashionable.

But I don't understand. "dignified and neat" is well, in my opinion, fashionable- modesty or not. KWIM? Fashion people talk constantly about "timeless pieces" which won't go out of "style" - which to me sounds like, well, dignified and neat!

AFAIK all FLDS hairstyles and dress are dictated by Warren Jeffs.

They are? Isn't that, um, kinda girly for a fundamentalist man?

Archived