IGNORED

Think God I was raped

rmac3

Not going there, not giving them clicks or wasting 3 minutes of my life, but another reason to thank god for horrid things is subtly different than 'it is what made me who I am today'. I remember reading some horrific stories when I was a believer, and then the horror ended when the person was 'saved'. Gratuitous violence was OK in these stories, if it brought you to god. So, thank god for 'insert anything horrible that happened while I was unsaved' because it brought me to god. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK.

I had to stop watching after the women said "Thank God I was raped... Because now I am who I'm supposed to be."

I really take umbrage to stories like that, the whole "thank God for because it made me a better person" bullshit. That shit is very understandably traumatizing and tragic, but saying that kind of implies that you're a better person than people who haven't gone through all that. Especially when it supposedly made you a better Christian.

You know, horrific experiences can be "blessings in disguise" but rape and loss of a spouse are not among them.

I really take umbrage to stories like that, the whole "thank God for because it made me a better person" bullshit. That shit is very understandably traumatizing and tragic, but saying that kind of implies that you're a better person than people who haven't gone through all that. Especially when it supposedly made you a better Christian.

You know, horrific experiences can be "blessings in disguise" but rape and loss of a spouse are not among them.

So so so true.

My husband getting laid off when I was 6 mo pregnant with our son? blessing in disguise.

Rape is NEVER a blessing in disguise. EVER.

So so so true.

My husband getting laid off when I was 6 mo pregnant with our son? blessing in disguise.

Rape is NEVER a blessing in disguise. EVER.

This

SO SO THIS

also

sick.

I'm not even going to watch this because I know it'll make me :angry-screaming: How anyone can 'thank God' for any of these things is beyond me.

Well, since it is all god's doing, I have only this to say.

Thank you god for divorce. Amen.

Amen to that, Sister!

Okay this might start a shit storm but... After being very angry at this video I calmed down, had some 'living-in-sin' sex and came back to this (not right away... there was a shower and a movie somewhere in between) and thought 'hmmm 'thank God I was raped'' well not like that but yeah. Point is I've been raped, sexually molested and a bunch of other things on there but, those struck me the most. I would NEVER be thankful for being raped, ever... but my rape is a big part of who I became as a woman later on in life. Once I dealt with it as best I could... I was able to turn that experience into something good about ME. It taught me a lot of things but... shitman if I could go through life without it I'd probably go THAT route.

This is me trying to be nice and trying to find a nice thing here but the more I write the more I think: fuck that shit, thank God my shiny hispanic ass... fuck you all. Thoughts?

Amen to that, Sister!

Alos, hoorah for divorce!! Cause Gods know I'd be fucked without being able to get one...

Aha. More misunderstanding of timing by fundies. I am not surprised, considering these are the same people who think "thank goodness my mom didn't abort me" is a valid argument against abortion.

My mother's small amount of discomfort is TOTALLY worth my awesome existence.

/sarcasm

If my mother had wanted an abortion and been prohibited from having it, I would not think my existence was worth her loss of bodily autonomy and the suffering she went through (which IMO is way more than a bit of discomfort). If she hadn't wanted me and had exercised that autonomy, I wouldn't be here to complain so I wouldn't be upset by it.

My mother's small amount of discomfort is TOTALLY worth my awesome existence.

/sarcasm

If my mother had wanted an abortion and been prohibited from having it, I would not think my existence was worth her loss of bodily autonomy and the suffering she went through (which IMO is way more than a bit of discomfort). If she hadn't wanted me and had exercised that autonomy, I wouldn't be here to complain so I wouldn't be upset by it.

Fundies don't get that though because... well because they're stupid... I agree though, the whole 'thank God my mother did not abort me' is the most pathetic thing I've ever heard. You know why my mother did not abort me? Because she didn't want to... Lemme tell you, making abortion illegal does NOT stop it. I know quite a few people that have gotten abortions and it's VERY much so illegal here.

Is this what the Westboro church's "Thank God for dead soldiers" thing is about? I assumed they must have some sort of fucked up logic to back that up, but I couldn't figure it out.

Is this what the Westboro church's "Thank God for dead soldiers" thing is about? I assumed they must have some sort of fucked up logic to back that up, but I couldn't figure it out.

Different sentiment. WBC's "thank God for dead soldiers" is about God punishing the US for homosexuality, by killing off soldiers via terrorists. In this video it's not so much punishment as it is a "test of faith" or something else that brings someone closer to God and makes them a better person.

Both are pretty fucked up.

I do know someone, who, while not *thankful* to be raped, isn't sorry it happened, b/c she got pregnant and had a beautiful daughter from that horrific experience. Her daughter is now grown and married and has given her 3 beautiful grandchildren. I don't think she'd say 'thankful' necessarily, but not sorry about it, since she got such wonderful 'blessings' from a bad experience, yes. She actually calls it God turning 'bad into good'.

I thought of one ONE instance in which losing one's spouse would be a "thank G-d" . My great aunt~ Her husband beat the living shit out of her on a regular basis. Beat her even when pregnant to the point where their only child was born severely brain damaged. He was also flagrantly constantly cheating on her. She went to a priest and asked for advice. His advice was to "pray for him" and if she got divorced she'd spend eternity in hell.

He had the decency to die before he killed her. Not that someone dying was a good thing, but he would have eventually killed her had he lived. :(

There's several weird ones that don't seem to fit with the rest (in that they don't seem to be bad things): thank god I'm a virgin (definitely good from a fundie point of view), and thank god I was adopted (generally a good thing if a mother who isn't ready/able to take on the responsibility of a child can let people who desperately want and can care for a child have him or her)

There's several weird ones that don't seem to fit with the rest (in that they don't seem to be bad things): thank god I'm a virgin (definitely good from a fundie point of view), and thank god I was adopted (generally a good thing if a mother who isn't ready/able to take on the responsibility of a child can let people who desperately want and can care for a child have him or her)

I think being a virgin is a good thing for those that want to be so... yeah. I am not a fundie and have never been but I could see myself being thankful I was a virgin when I was...

Archived