IGNORED

Think God I was raped

rmac3

Um, 'Thank God I had cancer'? Wft! I can assure you that neither my husband nor myself thanked God when he was diagnosed with cancer at 32.

You know, I was raped. And I'll never thank god for it. I'll thank god that two of my guy friend paid him a visit and beat this hit out of him, though.

"Thank God my baby died." :shock:

Yeah, I know. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. I don't hold god responsible for Katherine's death. It was just something that happened.

I don't think any of those things in the video are something to thank god for.

edited for riffle

I'll never thank god I was raped and very nearly murdered. I'll put my money on karma instead, thank you very bloody much.

Guest Anonymous

Video summary:

It is a music video length video that looks like I made it on a Windows media maker when I was 15 (in terms of quality, not content).

'Thank God I...' phrases fade in an out to a background of sentimental music. Thank God I was raped, thank God I was anorexic, thank God I have AIDS, thank God I was homeless... Etc., etc.

At the same time, people talk about how gratitude to God is the greatest virtue and talk about some of the things they are grateful for. One woman is grateful that her husband is dead, another is grateful that she had an eating disorder.

There are a couple of interesting 'Thank God I...'s. One is 'Thank God I am a virgin' which is odd when you consider that this is a Christian video and is supposed to be listing horrific things to be grateful for.

It's weird how fundie videos like these and Rick Santorum's videos have always disabled comments when they want smaller government and more religious freedom but want to enforce their religion on others...

Video summary:

It is a music video length video that looks like I made it on a Windows media maker when I was 15 (in terms of quality, not content).

'Thank God I...' phrases fade in an out to a background of sentimental music. Thank God I was raped, thank God I was anorexic, thank God I have AIDS, thank God I was homeless... Etc., etc.

At the same time, people talk about how gratitude to God is the greatest virtue and talk about some of the things they are grateful for. One woman is grateful that her husband is dead, another is grateful that she had an eating disorder.

There are a couple of interesting 'Thank God I...'s. One is 'Thank God I am a virgin' which is odd when you consider that this is a Christian video and is supposed to be listing horrific things to be grateful for.

So what's the logic - terrible things happened to me but God is great and so I'm thankful to him anyway because He knows best? Or what? Certainly we see the "life sucks but you should never complain because other people have it worse so you should be thankful to God that he didn't deal out those even worse things to you" or similar, but...

...because it seems to me that even if you take that attitude, it still doesn't quite equate to "Thank God for [horrible thing]" but I suppose it might be English fail on my part...

Guest Anonymous

I forgot to mention it in my summary, but the logic seems to be that the horrible things that happen to you in life help to make you the person that you are. (Which is true, I guess, but it does not make me thankful.). When you think about it, this logic is a rather neat get-out for the 'why does God let bad things happen to good people?' thing.

I had cancer when I was 18 and very well damned near ruined my life. The only thing god had to do with it is I cursed him many times when I was feeling sorry for myself.

I don't follow their attempt at logic on this one. Does that mean that they'd be thankful for anything that they could somehow see as a punishment of sorts? What in the ever-loving purgatory is that supposed to teach them or whatever?

This is so unnatural, sick and disgusting!

Of course, terrible things like illness, death and accidents shape us, too, like good things do, and make us the person we are, and it will bring some people to accept a God, so you could say bad things carry also good things with them, but the little good doesn't outweigh the terrible, terrible things.

Thanking God for such things is plain wrong. If I was a believer because God did so many terrible things to me, I'd either have a terrible God, be a terrible person to need so much "persuasion" - or both.

I forgot to mention it in my summary, but the logic seems to be that the horrible things that happen to you in life help to make you the person that you are. (Which is true, I guess, but it does not make me thankful.). When you think about it, this logic is a rather neat get-out for the 'why does God let bad things happen to good people?' thing.

Aha. More misunderstanding of timing by fundies. I am not surprised, considering these are the same people who think "thank goodness my mom didn't abort me" is a valid argument against abortion.

Aha. More misunderstanding of timing by fundies. I am not surprised, considering these are the same people who think "thank goodness my mom didn't abort me" is a valid argument against abortion.

and interestingly on that note - "Thank God I had an abortion" is also included in this piece. They make my head spin, these crazy people.

and interestingly on that note - "Thank God I had an abortion" is also included in this piece. They make my head spin, these crazy people.

I thought the "Thank God I had an abortion" was the sanest thing on there. At least they recognize that women who have an abortion are not victims, Victim or victory? Duh! Tragedy or Triumph? For once fundies are realizing that it is ok to have an abortion and that it can be a triumph.

"Thank God My Husband Died" :o Thinking that this lady probably doesn't want to say she was miserable in her marriage and the life insurance money was in the millions and THANK GOD he died because I can now afford to get my hair done.

Not going there, not giving them clicks or wasting 3 minutes of my life, but another reason to thank god for horrid things is subtly different than 'it is what made me who I am today'. I remember reading some horrific stories when I was a believer, and then the horror ended when the person was 'saved'. Gratuitous violence was OK in these stories, if it brought you to god. So, thank god for 'insert anything horrible that happened while I was unsaved' because it brought me to god. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK.

Archived