IGNORED

Miss Raquel is giving up all her dreams

formergothardite

"From a guy's point of view" should be called "Raquel tries to figure out the best way to find a husband" because that is what she is really doing.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have tried to write a comment here several times - each time, as I review Raquel's blog, I'm left speechless.

Valsa and kpmom, A ++. You both said what my jaw was too far dropped to mumble out.

Has Miss Raquel ever posted a schedule of her "busy" stay-at-home days? I'm curious to see how much time she spends practicing music each day. Or for that matter, how much time she spends taking care of that horse God gave her.

Miss Raquel is such a twit, she amuses and infuriates me at the same time. Part of the fury is caused by the sad fact she reminds me of my much younger cousin. She too, is lazy, full of herself, and waiting for a good future to just magically drop in her lap. Plus, like Miss Raquel, she has a sense of entitlement that burns my butt.

The Quippy girl has the following dream.

> To have a home where there are never any strangers

That's within her reach as a SAHD...

And she wants to live heroically too! Heroically must mean "under the protection of my husband and surrounded by many children" in fundy-speak.

It sounds as though Miss Raquel is on the verge of learning what we all had to learn: You have to pick one dream, or maybe two, or three if you're an energetic person. Miss Raquel, kiddo, you have to figure out how to achieve each one, and the first step is always getting off your butt. God gives you the talents. You can bury them in a hole and sulk about how hard it is to make it in this cruel fallen world or you can see what your talents can become.

Protip: You can try hard and you can still fail.

Protip no. 2: You can try hard and still be a mediocre unknown.

Protip no. 3: Every single one of us is going to die and be forgotten. Every legacy decays. To paraphrase Micah, we're supposed to do right by other people, follow God's commandments, and get over ourselves. Everything else is extra.

Protip no. 4: What you think is your talent may not actually be your talent. To be honest, your list of things you want/ed to do sounds pretty generic--things that other people found cute in you as a child, perhaps, or dreams other people had for you. If nobody was ever going to see it, what would you create? What do people ask you about because you are the best at it in your social group? Are there things you do because the satisfaction of having done them is its own reward? Start with these questions and good luck.

I dreamed of getting the house spic and span this afternoon, but my toddler just informed me that he really wants to go outside, and the weather may turn bad for weeks starting tomorrow. So I'll sign off now and try to ignore the sticky floor. Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.

It sounds as though Miss Raquel is on the verge of learning what we all had to learn: You have to pick one dream, or maybe two, or three if you're an energetic person. Miss Raquel, kiddo, you have to figure out how to achieve each one, and the first step is always getting off your butt. God gives you the talents. You can bury them in a hole and sulk about how hard it is to make it in this cruel fallen world or you can see what your talents can become.

Protip no. 3: Every single one of us is going to die and be forgotten. Every legacy decays. To paraphrase Micah, we're supposed to do right by other people, follow God's commandments, and get over ourselves. Everything else is extra.

Protip no. 4: What you think is your talent may not actually be your talent. To be honest, your list of things you want/ed to do sounds pretty generic--things that other people found cute in you as a child, perhaps, or dreams other people had for you. If nobody was ever going to see it, what would you create? What do people ask you about because you are the best at it in your social group? Are there things you do because the satisfaction of having done them is its own reward? Start with these questions and good luck.

I dreamed of getting the house spic and span this afternoon, but my toddler just informed me that he really wants to go outside, and the weather may turn bad for weeks starting tomorrow. So I'll sign off now and try to ignore the sticky floor. Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.

:clap: :clap: :clap: Standing O! :clap: :clap: :clap:

And some of us don't bother to bring god into it at all. We just try to do the right thing 'cause, ya know, it's the right thing.

Since she couldn't even make it through an audition at a local theater, I'm not thinking she will cut it in Hollywood.

when did this happen?

This girl wants to live a heroic life that is unexpected. Those sort of lives don't just fall out of the sky, you have to actually go do something if you want to live a heroic, unexpected life. Sitting at home being a maiden isn't going to get you that.

And this is less a "I"m prepared to do what God wants me to do" thing and more of a "I'm going to brag about how godly my dreams are" type of thing.

I think Miss Raquel will be a maiden sitting at home. I get the vibe that if she had the chance to do missionary work or something similar, she wouldn't do it because she would view it as hard.

Ah, the "Everybody's ahead of me so I'm defeated before I begin" feeling -- in her case, glossed over with "giving it all up to God."

Reminds me of the line from Tom Lehrer's intro to "Alma" (it's just before the 1 minute mark in the video below).

SgTL71yZ3Mo

Becoming "exceedingly good" at music requires (1) talent, (2) an excellent teacher, and (3) an enormous amount of hard work. I have no idea whether or not Miss R has (1); (2) is very unlikely to be available to her due to cost, possibly location, and the fact that many excellent teachers are potential bad influences for the sheltered types; and (3) does not seem to be part of her life as far as I can tell.

At 90 years old, she falls asleep behind the wheel of her car and crashes head-on into another car, driven by a serial killer on his way to murder his next victim, and it kills them both.

Well, that wouldn't be heroical but rather "accidental bravoury". But I'm pretty certain that's as close as we'll get to this mysterious death riddle!

"From a guy's point of view" should be called "Raquel tries to figure out the best way to find a husband" because that is what she is really doing.

QFT.

The From A Guy's Point of View section is also hilarious because these tend to be 16-17 year old boys with some serious misconceptions about pretty much everything. Though, the last one wasn't as bad as some - at least he said that he didn't get why anyone would think girls shouldn't go to college.

Her post was all vanity. I can't believe she would use a "friend's" death for her own glory. She barely even knew the guy, but after he died, they're all besties? And his last quote sparked a post all. about. her. Wow.

1) Just like I hate watching people on TV praying, I hate reading her prayers to God- because it's all fake. "Dear LORD, this is me laying down my dreams..." *ooh lookie here everybody! Look how Christian I am! And I'm so humble to put this for everyone to read!*

2) Her list of dreams were basically a personal ad for any guy reading. Her first 3 dreams are to get married. One is having many babies. One is homeschooling. WTF, this isn't about her and God, she's just flaunting around how she wants to be a perfect housewife, mother, and a movie star...

OT but I also read some of her posts about interviewing guys. I kind of see her as a Rita Skeeter from HP, batting her eyes and putting words in the guys mouth... "So you want a faithful, modest woman, right?... Yess, kind of like me..." 99.9% of the questions about what a man looks for in a girl. Raquel makes it very obvious that she is boy-obsessed... but in a oh-so-modest way, of course. :roll:

The way she is going on in her latest post about having to endure her time of singleness one would think she was a 30 year old Sarah Maxwell who has no hope of snagging a man. For god's sake she is 17! A ton of people, including me, were single at that point in their lives. She isn't getting any godly maiden points for being single at 17. It really isn't that big of a deal.

The way she is going on in her latest post about having to endure her time of singleness one would think she was a 30 year old Sarah Maxwell who has no hope of snagging a man. For god's sake she is 17! A ton of people, including me, were single at that point in their lives. She isn't getting any godly maiden points for being single at 17. It really isn't that big of a deal.

I think at 17 I was more concerned about having a date for prom than one for a wedding. But of course, that would be giving away pieces of her heart :D .

Seriously though, it always scares me a little how much the whole marriage thing is held up in fundie circles as perfection - there seems to be precious little thought to what happens after the wedding is over and the marriage starts. It's the whole "Twilight" fantasy - we'll get married young, have perfect sex, plenty of money, super supportive families, perfect children, be disgustingly in love all the time, and never need to sleep. As someone who got engaged at 20 and married at 22 to my high school sweetheart, I know it's typically way more difficult than that - and we were fortunate that our parents were strongly against us getting married until we had college degrees! I wonder how much more difficult it's going to be for someone like Raquel who seems to believe she'll be a stay-at-home wife/mom, not get an education, and not have an employment history.

I know! I'm 24 and just got out of my first long-term relationship, which I'd been in since I was twenty. I'd been single before that - and even now I have friends in their mid-twenties who have yet to have a serious relationship. It's no big deal. My friends aren't martyrs and she certainly isn't one either.

MEMO TO MISS RAQUEL: YOU ARE NOT SPECIAL. GO AWAY.

It's the whole "Twilight" fantasy - we'll get married young, have perfect sex, plenty of money, super supportive families, perfect children, be disgustingly in love all the time, and never need to sleep.

Bingo, it's Bells & Ed galore. But do fundies get to bite through pillows and make a feathery mess when they finally break down the virginity dam? That is the real question... :D

The From A Guy's Point of View section is also hilarious because these tend to be 16-17 year old boys with some serious misconceptions about pretty much everything.

Not to mention the fact that a 17-year-old geek of the type who post on her blog would probably have a heart attack if a girl said hi to him, much less asked him his feelings on grace vs. works.

Hey, Socrates kind of died heroically, semi-peacefully, and in oldish age. I mean, he was made to commit suicide by drinking poison, but he got to sit around with his disciples while doing so, which made it relatively peaceful, and it was also kind of heroic because he was a badass philosopher, and he also wasn't young...

I'm clutching at straws here. Miss Raquel wants to be Socrates. Great.

A man that i went to church with died of a massive heart attack after a 4 hour budget meeting. I always figured if your last act on earth is voting on the budget, you get a ticket right to heaven...

Archived