IGNORED

Miss Raquel is giving up all her dreams

formergothardite

Well, not really, but she blogged how she is going to surrendered her dreams to God. Her dreams include:

>>to marry the love of my life

>>to get married

Aren't these the exact same dream? Unless her dream is also to get married to someone who isn't the love of her life because she is that desperate to get married.

>>to publish a book

Yeah, she needs to give up on this one. Her writing is bad, even for Christian writers which are usually not that great.

>>to become exceedingly good at music

Granted I have no musical talents at all, but if she was going to become exceedingly good at music, wouldn't this skill have shown up by now?

>>to become a professional actress

Since she couldn't even make it through an audition at a local theater, I'm not thinking she will cut it in Hollywood.

>>to die at an old age

>>to die peacefully

>>to die heroically

I'm trying to decided how the hell you can die old, peacefully and heroically all at the same time? Usually heroic deaths aren't peaceful.

http://god-sdaughter.blogspot.com/

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting married and getting married to the love of one's life are not necessarily the same thing. Ask anybody in a room full of people and you'll get a room and a half's worth of stories. ;)

ETA: One can die heroically (ie, violently for The Cause) and peacefully (in one's heart). See any number of stories of the lives and deaths of the saints. Oops, except that would be a Roman Catholic collection of stories. Yes, about that ..... :geek:

Guest Anonymous

I think Miss Raquel is using "giving up her dreams to God" as an excuse to be lazy and not actually do anything to achieve them.

I think Miss Raquel is using "giving up her dreams to God" as an excuse to be lazy and not actually do anything to achieve them.

QFT

I think you have a point here. Almost none of Miss Raquel's dreams are things one can accomplish on one's own. Besides "become an exceptional musician" (which requires innate talent), they all rely on other people to fulfill them, as well as a dose of luck. Rather than saying something like "I want to write a novel", which relies only on her own ambition and devotion, she wants to publish a book, which relies on a publisher approving of her book and considering it marketable. Assuming she wouldn't adopt outside of marriage (which I don't see her doing), 9 of the 16 items on her list require her to meet, fall in love with, and marry another individual. It's as if she's deliberately chosen dreams that require "God's" intervention in order for her to accomplish them.

People who die heroically are much of the time not at an old age, and heroic ways to die are never peaceful. I agree that this is her way to not have to take any responsibility for her life. If she never gets married, or never writes a book, she can just say it's God's will instead of admitting she never did anything to make that happen. It sounds like she wants to get married to the first person who expresses an interest no matter who it is. Either that or first she just wants to get married, and then she wants to find the love of her life and get married for a second time to him.

QXT x2

Yep. She's gonna stay home and put her feet up in the name of God rather than take music lessons or participate with the local theater even when she doesn't have a part.

Well, not really, but she blogged how she is going to surrendered her dreams to God. Her dreams include:

>>to marry the love of my life

>>to get married

Aren't these the exact same dream? Unless her dream is also to get married to someone who isn't the love of her life because she is that desperate to get married.

It's weird how the emphasis on doing something very adult--getting married--has probably sheltered her to the point that she's immature for her age.

>>to publish a book

Yeah, she needs to give up on this one. Her writing is bad, even for Christian writers which are usually not that great.

I think her writing could get better if she really worked on it and had people around her to say, "Your writing right now is terrible." Going to college and majoring in English, for instance, would help a lot.

>>to become exceedingly good at music

Granted I have no musical talents at all, but if she was going to become exceedingly good at music, wouldn't this skill have shown up by now?

I don't know what her musical background is. If she's been consistently taking music lessons, she could probably take college-level courses in music which would make her pretty good (that, and hours and hours of practicing required to pass those classes.). If she's picked up the guitar a few times and tried to take lessons but quit because the teacher kept prattling on about scales and what she really wanted to learn was how to play pop songs so she thought she'd learn it faster be being self-taught...yyyyeah.

>>to become a professional actress

Since she couldn't even make it through an audition at a local theater, I'm not thinking she will cut it in Hollywood.

I'd chalk this up to young age because I'm sure there are plenty of late-high-schoolers who think this is possible, but she's too old to want to be an author and a musician and an actress. Too old. She sounds like my niece who wants to become an astronaut and a lawyer and a cheerleader. (Although unlike MR my niece has a good shot at becoming one of those.)

>>to die at an old age

>>to die peacefully

>>to die heroically

I'm trying to decided how the hell you can die old, peacefully and heroically all at the same time? Usually heroic deaths aren't peaceful.

I don't know either.

Talent is important when it comes to music, but almost more important is practice. It's the same with visual art and creative writing. I'm about to start grad school in creative writing and I can tell you that although I have always been very passionate and interested in fiction and writing stories, the most significant aspect of developing my skills involves just, you know, DOING the writing. A lot of crap comes out in the process, but that's just something that happens on the way to writing something good. One of my best friends from high school is an extremely talented artist and is now becoming a successful professional artist, but even at 13 and 14 years old he was spending at least 6 hours a day drawing and painting. Music is the same way. You can't go very far with talent if you don't have the work ethic. She may have some innate talent but it's unlikely that will develop into anything at all if she doesn't have the time/drive to play music as much as possible, something I'd guess would be perceived as frivolous and unproductive by the rest of her family.

People who die heroically are much of the time not at an old age, and heroic ways to die are never peaceful. I agree that this is her way to not have to take any responsibility for her life. If she never gets married, or never writes a book, she can just say it's God's will instead of admitting she never did anything to make that happen. It sounds like she wants to get married to the first person who expresses an interest no matter who it is. Either that or first she just wants to get married, and then she wants to find the love of her life and get married for a second time to him.

I agree...heroic deaths are rarely done peacefully and in old age.

I think that, especially of late, Miss Raquel has become one of the most annoying bloggers I know of.

Talent is important when it comes to music, but almost more important is practice. It's the same with visual art and creative writing. I'm about to start grad school in creative writing and I can tell you that although I have always been very passionate and interested in fiction and writing stories, the most significant aspect of developing my skills involves just, you know, DOING the writing. A lot of crap comes out in the process, but that's just something that happens on the way to writing something good. One of my best friends from high school is an extremely talented artist and is now becoming a successful professional artist, but even at 13 and 14 years old he was spending at least 6 hours a day drawing and painting. Music is the same way. You can't go very far with talent if you don't have the work ethic. She may have some innate talent but it's unlikely that will develop into anything at all if she doesn't have the time/drive to play music as much as possible, something I'd guess would be perceived as frivolous and unproductive by the rest of her family.

THIS.

Miss Raquel's post reminds me of the old joke about the guy trying to escape a flood - first his neighbors come by, then a boat, then a helicoptor to rescue him and each time, the guy says "God's going to save me". Finally, the water closes over his head and he dies. When he sees God, he asks "Why didn't you save me?" God replies "Well, I sent the neighbors, the boat and the helicoptor. What more did you want?"

Why is it her dream for her kids to have children? What a weirdo.

Oh, well, as long as she keeps her bucket list of dancing in the rain with su (is that right?) esposo, wearing a red dress, and painting her nails alternate colors.

I don't understand. I don't. Aren't you supposed to be humble and modest and all that jazz? How can dreams of public recognition (the heroic death, the Marilyn Monroe like IMDB page, the "excess" in musical talent) be related to incarnating an inferior copy of the divine on earth? I just don't get it.

>>to die at an old age

>>to die peacefully

>>to die heroically

At 90 years old, she falls asleep behind the wheel of her car and crashes head-on into another car, driven by a serial killer on his way to murder his next victim, and it kills them both.

Yep. She's gonna stay home and put her feet up in the name of God rather than take music lessons or participate with the local theater even when she doesn't have a part.

College Minus might be just the thing for her :eusa-think: :eusa-think: :eusa-think: .

Getting married and getting married to the love of one's life are not necessarily the same thing. Ask anybody in a room full of people and you'll get a room and a half's worth of stories. ;)

ETA: One can die heroically (ie, violently for The Cause) and peacefully (in one's heart). See any number of stories of the lives and deaths of the saints. Oops, except that would be a Roman Catholic collection of stories. Yes, about that ..... :geek:

I do realize that many people end up not marrying the love of their life, but it is odd to dream that you won't marry the love of your life. So either those are the exact same dreams or she is saying that she doesn't care who she marries or if she loves him, she just wants to get married. Which is probably the truth, she is in love with the idea of love and a big wedding, but I would be surprised to see her actually admit it.

This girl wants to live a heroic life that is unexpected. Those sort of lives don't just fall out of the sky, you have to actually go do something if you want to live a heroic, unexpected life. Sitting at home being a maiden isn't going to get you that.

And this is less a "I"m prepared to do what God wants me to do" thing and more of a "I'm going to brag about how godly my dreams are" type of thing.

Give these young women a few decades and their dreams will be a little different:

To walk without my thighs rubbing together.

To wear a light colored top without fear of getting it stained.

To find a coupon for the grocery item I need

To not have my 401(k) wiped out by these freakin' stock market crashes.

To *have* a 401(k)

To decide which I need more, a new tire or a brake job.

I'll happily surrender all of these to God if he'll help me out with them.

http://quippyquintessence.blogspot.com/2012/06/waisted-life.html

Another fundie took the dream challenge:

"To marry a man on fire for God"

"To die in the arms of my love"

Waisted life, indeed.

Dream:

"To die in the arms of my love"

Reality:

"To die at the hands of my love"

The difference between the two is when "a man on fire for God" translates to "a man who sees me as a submissive broodmare who is the reason for all of his faults, instead of a person"

Well, not really, but she blogged how she is going to surrendered her dreams to God. [/

This made me immediately think of the lyrics to Pat Benatar's "Shadows of the Night", Excerpt:

We're running with the Shadows of the Night Lord our God

So baby take my His hand, you'll be all right

Surrender all your dreams to me Him tonight

They'll come true in the end

I hope if she is still blogging in 10 years I remember her and check back in. Reality isn't so rosy as our teenage dreams!

I am just going to publically declare right now that I am surrendering my dream of being a super model. Also the one of being super rich.

I like her "from a guy's view point" section on the blog. There are some cute guys there...it's a pitty they are so...fundie :lol:

Archived