IGNORED

Doug is deep

thoughtful

I mean really, who else could have come up with such amazing advice?

Doug, I want to ask you what are 1 or 2 things that families can do right now right where they are that could help them to begin discipling their family?

Doug:

I think the very first thing that needs to happen is moms and dads first need to cry out to the Lord, “Give me a vision to love my children more and to obey You.†And it begins by actually repenting from not doing it and it begins by crying out to the Lord saying, “Lord, help me.â€

And then the next step is really to gather your children and to say, “Kids, here’s what we’re going to do. We’re going to read the Bible every day.†We’re going to start there. We’re going to read the Bible. We’re going to go through the book of Proverbs. There’s one Proverb for every day of the month. We can do it that way.

Uh, and then we’re going to have a time for family worship. A lot of parents say, “Well, I don’t know how to do family worship.†It’s actually as simple as opening up the Bible, reading it, and just talking about it with your children and saying, “Kids, what are your prayers? Let’s go before the throne of grace and start praying together.†And it’s, it’s absolutely transforming.

So, Step 1, “Lord, help me. Lord, forgive me. Kids, forgive me.â€

Step 2, let’s just start opening the Bible. Let’s start reading. Let’s start praying. And thus will begin the great journey of discipleship which hopefully, will result in actual home education: walking and talking throughout the course of the day with our children.

www.raisingarrows.net/2012/04/disciples ... -phillips/

Edited to break link, and to mention that her blog header includes the motto "Bringing blunt-edged babes to finely-sharpened arrows."

Does doug REALLY want them to read the bible? The sheeple might just figure out VF is a load of shit and that doug is a tool.

Does doug REALLY want them to read the bible? The sheeple might just figure out VF is a load of shit and that doug is a tool.

Yep, he might have dug his own grave there.

Guest Anonymous

Am I the only person who read this and immediately thought - "ha ... balls deep, maybe." Please tell me I'm not alone.

her blog header includes the motto "Bringing blunt-edged babes to finely-sharpened arrows."

My absolute number one thing that I cannot stand for about fundies is their attitude towards children. This is just... This shit keeps me up at night.

Lucky for them most of the people interested in this kind of lifestyle have zero critical thinking skills. The KJV bible is actually a very difficult thing to read and understand, even for someone with a college education, unless you are especially trained in classical literature (not to mention Hebrew and Greek and the translation process). I really think these people have no idea what they're reading when they read the bible. They take the interpretations by people like Doug Phillips and Michael Pearl to be true because they can't understand it for themselves.

Show me a fundie sheep with a degree in literature and I'll show you a ballet dancing elephant.

Am I the only person who read this and immediately thought - "ha ... balls deep, maybe." Please tell me I'm not alone.

You're not alone. That was the first thing that popped into my mind.

Isn't Jasmine Bauchman's college minus degree in English lit?

I know it's only college minus, but I wanna see a ballet dancing elephant!

My first thought was 'in the closet.'

Lucky for them most of the people interested in this kind of lifestyle have zero critical thinking skills. The KJV bible is actually a very difficult thing to read and understand, even for someone with a college education, unless you are especially trained in classical literature (not to mention Hebrew and Greek and the translation process). I really think these people have no idea what they're reading when they read the bible. They take the interpretations by people like Doug Phillips and Michael Pearl to be true because they can't understand it for themselves.

I never thought of this aspect of KJV-only Bible using. I've had a KJV Bible since high school (I had children's Bibles before then), and there are a bunch of cheats you have to know--words or phrases that mean nothing to you unless you have someone explain hundreds of years old English. I was never dogmatically KJV-only reading, it just happened to be the version I had available most of the time, but I can see where if you weren't allowed to check other translations you could be easy to control when it came to interpreting the Bible. Interesting.

You're not alone. That was the first thing that popped into my mind.

My first thought was 'in the closet.'

:lol:

I'm usually trying to be funny -- glad I could provide the straight line (you should pardon the expression) for others this time!

Nope. I thought "Doug IS deep, or Doug GOES deep?" Inquiring minds...don't really want to know :?

Archived