IGNORED

Is this for real? Christian in niqab

RR88

I can't decide if she's actually a Christian...Sunnichick31, do you think that this woman is actually a niqabi?

*blink* She says she's an Orthodox Christian. I see a religious picture in the background as well.

I don't get where she thinks she should wear a niqab. I'm taking a painting workshop this week and I'm painting an Orthodox icon of the Virgin Mary. She's certainly not wearing a niqab (if she was, I'd probably have less trouble with the shading on the face). So, if the icons you see in churches don't show the Virgin wearing a niqab or face veil (and I can't think of any icon that has that kind of veiling), why on earth is this woman wearing a niqab?

I wonder if this is an elaborate Poe or troll. If not, I bet she's a real hoot at church, with everyone staring at her.

The man does not have to cover because he is created in the image and glory of God. The woman is not created that way, she is created inferior to the man therefore she is in subjection to the man. The veil is the symbol of her subjection. It has nothing to do with modesty.

:shock: :(

...:cry: I feel so bad for her. What must have happened to her for her to believe something like that?

:shock: :(

...:cry: I feel so bad for her. What must have happened to her for her to believe something like that?

It SO pisses me off when I hear women saying this.

I want to know

a) Who planted that seed in her head?

and

b) Why did she allow it to grow?

I want to know

a) Who planted that seed in her head?

and

b) Why did she allow it to grow?

I believe many are in denial about being in an abusive relationship and are searching for a way to rationalize it.

Well, we can tell that she does not read the Bible:

Genesis 1:27 (NLT):

27 So God created human beings[a] in his own image.

In the image of God he created them;

male and female he created them.

(emphasis mine)

Not sure if she's a real niqabi or not. I've actually seen this video a couple times before, and my first thought was perhaps she is a niqab fetishist. Don't ask me why, I have NO idea, but some people have a fetish for the niqab. The most talked about fetishists are men (the reason they are talked about a lot is because women are always warning each other to be careful and be wary of niqabis you don't know.)

A couple ways to tell if someone is a fetishist rather than a religious person is if they ONLY talk about niqab. A real Muslim (or in this case, a real Christian) might discuss it from time to time, and will be happy to explain and answer any questions, but we also have other interests! We'll talk about the Quran (or in this case, Bible) or the prophets, etc. Someone with a fetish will only talk about niqab and covering and how they cover etc. Frequently the male ones will cover everything including their hands and eyes, because you can tell from a persons eyes if they are male or female. The women don't alawys do this, but sometimes they do.

This one is a little harder to figure out cause she is bringing religion into it, and she does have a religious picture, so maybe she's for real, but I'm not really buying it. There are references in the old testament to veils, but not many, and certainly not enough to justify Christians wearing niqab.

Assuming she is really a fetishist, she could easily use religion to back up her fetish (which offends me. She said at the beginning of the video that she wears it to show she is submissive to her husband. Way to re-enforce the "niqabis are oppressed" stereotype!)

I found this forum dedicated to fetishists. Creepy! http://niqabcders.proboards.com/index.c ... y&thread=4

This blog is run by someone with both a latex fetish and a burqa fetish. http://www.latexlifestyle.blogspot.com/

Not sure if she's a real niqabi or not. I've actually seen this video a couple times before, and my first thought was perhaps she is a niqab fetishist. Don't ask me why, I have NO idea, but some people have a fetish for the niqab. The most talked about fetishists are men (the reason they are talked about a lot is because women are always warning each other to be careful and be wary of niqabis you don't know.)

A couple ways to tell if someone is a fetishist rather than a religious person is if they ONLY talk about niqab. A real Muslim (or in this case, a real Christian) might discuss it from time to time, and will be happy to explain and answer any questions, but we also have other interests! We'll talk about the Quran (or in this case, Bible) or the prophets, etc. Someone with a fetish will only talk about niqab and covering and how they cover etc. Frequently the male ones will cover everything including their hands and eyes, because you can tell from a persons eyes if they are male or female. The women don't alawys do this, but sometimes they do.

This one is a little harder to figure out cause she is bringing religion into it, and she does have a religious picture, so maybe she's for real, but I'm not really buying it. There are references in the old testament to veils, but not many, and certainly not enough to justify Christians wearing niqab.

Assuming she is really a fetishist, she could easily use religion to back up her fetish (which offends me. She said at the beginning of the video that she wears it to show she is submissive to her husband. Way to re-enforce the "niqabis are oppressed" stereotype!)

I found this forum dedicated to fetishists. Creepy! http://niqabcders.proboards.com/index.c ... y&thread=4

This blog is run by someone with both a latex fetish and a burqa fetish. http://www.latexlifestyle.blogspot.com/

Those are creepy links. I feel kind of bad now that I jokingly referred to myself as a "headcovering fetishist" or something back in your Turkish Clothes thread.

Those are creepy links. I feel kind of bad now that I jokingly referred to myself as a "headcovering fetishist" or something back in your Turkish Clothes thread.

LOL don't worry, I know you're not that kind of fetishist.

(btw I would not object to a snark thread about Latex Lady. She is just so WTF I don't even know where to begin!)

LOL don't worry, I know you're not that kind of fetishist.

(btw I would not object to a snark thread about Latex Lady. She is just so WTF I don't even know where to begin!)

Thanks ;)

And I can not imagine how terribly hot a latex burqah would be.

Ugh. Women who believe they are inferior to men? Men who believe women are inferior but want to dress like them anyway because it makes them feel... frisky? Latex burqas!? I think I need to retreat back to the shelter behind my couch for a while.

Big scary world out there, you guys. :lol:

I am an Orthodox Christian and I have never NEVER seen this kind of thing before. You don't see this in our iconography. Even Orthodox nuns don't wear niqab, ever. And FWIW, in Orthodoxy, if you're the only one doing it, you're probably doing it wrong.

As a headcoverer (Christian), I have noticed that there is a segment of the Christian headcovering population who takes it way beyond the symbolism in 1 Corinthians 11. In that passage, which is afaik the only Christian reference to headcovering, it doesn't actually directly mention modesty. There are other reasons given, but covering all your hair (let alone your whole face) isn't in there. But for some it becomes that, and then quite a few end up on this progressive journey to cover more and more and more because it's never quite enough. So there are some American fundamentalist ladies oohing and ahing over hijabs and niquabs and debating whether it's "Christian" to wear them.

So I believe it's entirely possible this woman is Orthodox and started out headcovering for the reason other headcovering Christians do, but got on that gotta-cover-more-and-more train.

I second ImNoSupermom. If this woman is an Orthodox Christian and not an elaborate troll, I suspect mental illness. Orthodox Christian women have never worn niqab, and we have communities that are 1500 years old in many parts of the Islamic world. I cannot see her being able to walk into ANY orthodox church, no matter how strict, and not get a gentle talking to that a niqab on a non Muslim woman in an Orthodox church is not appropriate, and has no basis in either the Bible, church tradition, or cultural custom. As an aside, in first world countries, christian orthodox women only cover their hair in church (with the exception of us greeks, we are sort of the wild child of the OC world). I've known greek women in Dubai and Saudi Arabia to wear headcoverings outside their dwellings, but in SA it was mandatory and in Dubai she just wanted to blend in while in public. Totally floored here.

ETA-Now that I think about it, it kind of reminds me of a group of burqa wearing haredi jewish women in ISR that was getting some press a while back. Same thing, the rest of the ultra orthodox jews were shocked.

These are my thoughts: if you have a latex fetish, what happens if you get sensitized and become allergic? Do you have to become a nitrile fetishist?

These are my thoughts: if you have a latex fetish, what happens if you get sensitized and become allergic? Do you have to become a nitrile fetishist?

The allergy is part of the fetish?

...Rule 34 you know...

Rofl!

I've never seen niqab on an Orthodox Christian woman either. I expect at our church she'd be treated as a visitor and assumed she was NOT Orthodox.

I grew up (for a time) Eastern Orthodox, and I've never seen this, though I'm not sure if its any part of that tradition. To be fair, I've also never heard of it, so I guess I have some research to do.

For what it's worth, if you google "Orthodox Christian Niqab" this video is the only thing that comes up that isn't referencing niqab as Islam while also referencing headcovering in general (which is where Orthodoxy comes in).

One of the references in her video is from the Didascalia, which is considered 'greater' canon in the Ethiopian Orthodox Church, which is far removed from regular Orthodoxy. While not being considered canon it does however have a place in Eastern Christianity so I can't say she is Ethiopian either. And from what little I know their practices are a strange Orthodox/Evangelical Protestant/African tribal combination that is somewhat syncretistic but I have never heard of them being niqabi. And I've seen pictures of them where women have no headcovering at all in worship, so I really don't think that's it.

Of her references, only one comes from the accepted canon of all Christianity, and only one other comes from the Deuterocanon (only accepted by Orthodoxy, Catholicism, and Anglicanism) since she is Orthodox I can certainly understand her using it as a source. So, moving on.

The rest of her sources come from 1) the Catholic Encyclopedia (I don't see the pope telling people to cover their faces, so someone is taking things out of context and somehow I don't think it's the pope.) 2)the aforementioned Didascalia 3)the Orthodox Church Fathers, including St. John Chrysostom, who references what I can only compare to a modern day nun's wimple. But aside from her scriptural references, all the others seem to be talking to women of the day. Just as the modern day g-string and pasties is far removed from the frumper, so too, in the day was a coverless and a covered woman.

The Corinthians quote clearly refers only to the covering of the hair, not the face. The Daniel quote, well, not having much context and not being raised with the deuterocanonicals, I don't know.

But certainly Clement of Alexandria's statement to the women in his community shouldn't have a bearing on whether or not you can see my face. :roll:

That being said, doesn't Orthodoxy subscribe to Scripture AND Tradition? And isn't that to keep people from doing things like suggesting Orthodox women must be in niqab?

Archived