IGNORED

As We Suspected, No Reading for Pleasure at the Maxwells

kpmom

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the Maxwells don't like books, sports, tv, movies, and most music. What do they do for fun? Maybe they can keep the girls so occupied with chores that they have no free time, but what about the boys? They must be bored to tears on a daily basis or had secret lobotomies.

The Maxwells, sans Steve. What would that be like?

Let's say that in God's Infinite Wisdom, God takes Steve home ... today.

Who takes over as CEO of Maxwell Books, DVDs, CDs and Touring Lectures?

Nathan? Christopher?

Does the family enterprise continue? if so, who delivers the talks that Steve originally gave?

Does Teri stand at the podium with one of her sons, or is that duty now passed along to Anna [Marie] or Melanie?

Is Sarah suddenly on the courtship market?

Does the family become more reclusive, save for the trips to Home Depot, the grocery store and lectures?

Or does John enroll at ITT Tech for a mechanic's certificate, does Teri subscribe to The Leavenworth Times and add Pepsi to the grocery list, and does ... well, the ideas go on.

Srsly! i wonder what Steve's succession planning is! All good CEOs have one.

That's such an interesting question. I'm betting Nathan would be the head of the entire family if Steve were to pass away.

Since all of the adult children work for Communication Concepts (the Maxwell's family business), I believe much of their work would continue. Since so much of their income derives from their trips, I believe Nathan would get a word from God that he is to continue the speaking trips.

Any man wanting to court any of the Maxwell sisters would have to go through Nathan.

There is no "fun" in the Maxwell household - apparently they believe that it's wrong to have "fun."

This might be whey they're so heavily scheduled. If you don't have downtime, you don't have to figure out what to do with that downtime (reading, doing fun hobbies, etc).

I tend to think that Sarah has a more whimsical streak - she does write fiction, after all, and she "surprised" the family by doing a unscheduled photo shoot. So I think there's a spark of creativity in there. She and I are right about the same age (I turned 30 last year) and my heart breaks for her.

Absolutely. One of the primary reasons I am an editor today is that I love to read. I have a degree in English, but I learned most of what I know about the mechanics of writing, as well as logic, rhythm, and style, from being an almost compulsive reader all my life.

I would not want to live without books, simple as that.

I have to assume that the Maxwells have very dull interior lives. I mean, they do nothing but family activities, they meet no one but fundies and elderly people, they read nothing but the Bible (and textbooks and Moody books). There is no food for the imagination there. Which is, I'm sure, how Steve likes it, but how sad.

Exactly. Reading is excellent for developing writing skills, even the most basic, such as spelling and sentence structure. Around here I'm known as the "Walking Dictionary" and "Grammar Nazi" LOL... Especially helpful is reading books that are interesting and you can't put down (aka fiction). Of course, not all nonfiction is boring to read, but it's much easier to get caught up in a novel than a "how-to". :-D

How can you be a writer without being a reader first? I attempt to be a writer... but that all started with a love for reading first and foremost. Writing isn't just a tool you use to "share" your "wisdom".... It's a medium for an artist to paint a world in words and ideas. I can't even fathom how you could "write" without reading.

But knowing their type, and their crowd, they really love to pontificate on things they know nothing about, and using mediums they have no idea how to. (Gothard? Botkins? :roll: )

I can't imagine not reading for pleasure. I've been a certified bookworm since the age of 6. I have no idea how my 1st grade teacher did it, but I was reading everything I could get my hands on by the end of 1st grade. Still do. My bookshelf is overflowing, and I make use of Project Gutenberg quite often. (Classic books for free - it doesn't get better than that!)

How can one live without reading? :shock: Books take you places and to times and you meet people that would never happen in real life. Everything from thrillers to cookbooks are very needed to enjoy life. Not read? :o When going on vacation I pack the books I want to read first then worry if there is enough room for clothes and such. I dare anyone to walk into any room in my house and not find a bookcase overflowing with books, yes, even the bathrooms have entire bookcases. Maybe its because I am a die hard bibliophile but I can not imagine a life without books. :shifty: Instead of grounding me when young, my mother would take away my books for a few days. It was worse than a beating with a belt.

THIS I have 8 boxes of books that I am going to go through and send to my friends. I filled up a bookcase yesterday and now I have to find a place for the big one that is on the patio waiting to come in. I love books. I have audio books on my Itouch, I have kindle books on my Itouch.

Wonder why the Maxwells don't self publish Sarah's books for Kindle. There might be a market out there for her.... oh wait, that means she'd have to sign her name without her dad holding her hand.

I can't believe Teri has managed to homeschool them properly if the family thinks fiction is a sinful waste of time. That means the kids never read literature, because it would expose them to other viewpoints and ask them questions they don't have answers for. You know Steve wouldn't let his kids get within twenty feet of To the Lighthouse or Wuthering Heights or The Odyssey or even Hamlet. What did they do in English class? Diagram sentences for twelve years straight?
Absolutely, they do not read literature of any sort. If you google around reviews and discussion of the "Homeschooling with a Meek and Quiet Spirit" (and some discussion of their scheduling generally) you will find comments even from other religious parents to the effect that you need to read the Maxwell books with a particular grain of salt - one of the main reasons the Maxwells' schedule works so well for them is that the amount of material they need to cover is quite frankly scanty. That's why they only need to worry about doing school for a few hours a day, if that (more than the usual time savings you get from self-studying that you hear other homeschoolers talking about). Anyone who wants their kids to aim for college (or even just have a good high school education so that they might potentially go further later on if they ever desire to, or not) will need to seriously beef up the recipe.

They don't do much in the way of high level math either.

There is no "fun" in the Maxwell household - apparently they believe that it's wrong to have "fun."

This might be whey they're so heavily scheduled. If you don't have downtime, you don't have to figure out what to do with that downtime (reading, doing fun hobbies, etc).

I tend to think that Sarah has a more whimsical streak - she does write fiction, after all, and she "surprised" the family by doing a unscheduled photo shoot. So I think there's a spark of creativity in there. She and I are right about the same age (I turned 30 last year) and my heart breaks for her.

I can only imagine how awkward they would be on a first date, err, courtship.

Fundie boy: So, what do you like to do for fun?

Maxwell girl: We're not allowed to have hobbies. But I do get some pleasure from looking down my nose at people who do have fun.

I don't understand why they even bothered with homeschool, if it's all about selling family products, cleaning and reading the Bible.

That IS their homeschool. Literacy is to read the Inerrant word of God; math is to make sure "worldly" people don't take advantage of you as you are being a good Steward to the money God gives you, and chores keep you busy so you can't think of fun stuff and tired so you don't lay there at night imagining a better life.

I would imagine the way one lives their life is part of the reason Sarah is still daddy's helper at the age of 30. I can't see that conversation happening because daddy will vet the boy first, and if they have hobbies or do something for fun I am sure they don't get past the first screening.

Thirty years old. That man has eaten his daughter.

We're rereading A Child's Garden of Verses at my girls' request. Memory work is Pagoo, which is a textbook on marine life written as the adventures of a tiny hermit crab. Our world history book is A Child's History of the World, which was written in story form because that's how kids learn. The American history text is The Story of US, ditto. My girls' minds are constantly growing and sending out new branches. I guide their direction but for God's sake I don't snip them off! What a horrible thing to do to a child.

Hopefully one day she'll wake up and realize she was robbed. Hopefully she'll also realize that is isn't too late to begin to live.

P.S. We're taking a break from Ray's Arithmetic by playing Go Fish for math today. Steve's head might explode.

I'd go insane if I couldn't read for pleasure. My choice of books growing up wasn't really monitored at all, and I think I turned out okay. :) In fact, I think it's partly why I ended up a librarian!

I should ask them if Sarah has ever considered donating a few copies of her books to the local library...the Maxwells probably think a library is a special portal straight to hell.

I just found this site! I am glad I am not the only one on Earth that is fascinated by them, but for horrific reasons. The whole family is insane.

Sometimes I wonder if Steve is looking to God as the father figure he never had. He seeks his own father's unconditional love, which he must have never received. So instead, God the Father is the logical answer. Yikes. Calling Dr. Freud.

I should ask them if Sarah has ever considered donating a few copies of her books to the local library...the Maxwells probably think a library is a special portal straight to hell.

a portkey!

I just found this site! I am glad I am not the only one on Earth that is fascinated by them, but for horrific reasons. The whole family is insane.

Sometimes I wonder if Steve is looking to God as the father figure he never had. He seeks his own father's unconditional love, which he must have never received. So instead, God the Father is the logical answer. Yikes. Calling Dr. Freud.

Welcome to the site.

So the Maxwells don't like books, sports, tv, movies, and most music. What do they do for fun? Maybe they can keep the girls so occupied with chores that they have no free time, but what about the boys? They must be bored to tears on a daily basis or had secret lobotomies.

I think their definition of "fun" could be Bible study.

I'm sorry, but who the hell reads an HTML book? Most of those are work books to begin with, so you know, you have to actually be in front of a computer practicing the codes to understand it. I highly doubt this girl is just memorizing HTML coding whilst casually reading. Not the mention HTML is pretty useless these days with the right programs.

This is so depressing, reading has always been one of my favorite hobbies. I could understand if they wanted to censor what their children were reading, but no, they have to remove any and all joy from these kids lives. And I also agree with the commenter above, reading and writing are not mutually exclusive activities. You're going to be a pretty dull writer if you don't study a broad array of writing styles.

Does anyone remember when Steve wrote about how he gave John a book on cement making for Christmas? And Papa Maxwell went on to describe how John "ate up the book" eagerly reading the book cover to cover because he was interested in becoming a builder? I remember thinking, "These kids must lead extremely DULL lives if reading a cement making book is considered the highlight of Christmas!". I mean, the only thing more boring would be reading about watching paint dry. :roll:

The Maxwells used to brag about how they've raised "avid" readers despite "sheltering" their children from "unbiblical" reading materials....yet, it appears their restrictions virtually eliminated reading from their lives. It also could be why the Maxwell children tend to write in such stilted tones. At least the Botkins' can write passably well. The Maxwells write in such a peculiar fashion that it feels like its been written by someone who learned to write through theory work and grammar study, similar to how educated immigrants from other countries would write in English.

Maxwell girl: We're not allowed to have hobbies. But I do get some pleasure from looking down my nose at people who do have fun.

Is it possible she's turned off a suitor or two w/ this attitude? It would be daunting to face a whole family w/ this attitude.

or

Maxwell girl: I clean the cupboards.

(they clean cupboards more than anyone I've seen)

Do they read history or theology books? Those can be both "edifying" and actually interesting/personally enriching.

Well, theoretically, the idea of them reading theology books would maybe be okay. But there wouldn't be that many that Pa Maxwell would allow - all that's allowed is what HE says. Maybe some very focused and specific older writings on death.

I could be wrong, maybe they're allowed to read a wider range of theology books than that.

People here have mentioned before that Steve would record tapes for the kids to listen to - perhaps he also wrote them short notes about what to believe, and that counted as 'reading theology books'.

I don't think they would be allowed to read theology books because then they would see that there are disagreements about things and other points of view. Just even knowing that something in their religion is up for discussion or that reasonable can disagree might be enough to turn them away from the One True Path. Same deal with history. They have to be fed a steady diet of exactly the same ideas or they might start thinking about things.

Archived