IGNORED

heartsdesire/ Epic COW Talk--Merged

Georgiana

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My little pal over at Hearts Desire was kind enough to post some new drivel.

My husband and kids have been GREAT, in helping pick up my slack. Amy has taken on doing a few extra chores (on her own initiative) just to help me get finished sooner in the evenings! Such a sweet girl! One night last week I felt pretty bad, and went up for a nap after dinner. I woke about an hour later to find Brian putting Meg to bed himself, and when I went downstairs about twenty minutes later, I noticed straight away that most of my chores had been done for me! I was SO grateful, as I had been dreading facing them later that evening!

One FANTASTIC thing that has happened lately, is that my husband has agreed to me home birthing this time around!!!! I'm so excited!!! We will be receiving our care/labouring with the Domino Midwifery service that is run out of our local hospital. We have used this service before (but different local hospital), but had the births in the hospital. I LOVE being in the care of experienced midwives and not a rough, ill-mannered male obstetrician! The reason we've had to change hospital is because, while the one we usually attend does offer home birth, they can't offer it to me because my last two babies have been over 10lb, and that goes against their policy. I was really disappointed; until the other hospital that offered home birth, said their policy was different! :)

Duh your husband stepped up to the plate, no big deal, millions do it every day.

As to the home birth, I hope they treat you better than you treated your cow.

My little pal over at Hearts Desire was kind enough to post some new drivel.

Duh your husband stepped up to the plate, no big deal, millions do it every day.

As to the home birth, I hope they treat you better than you treated your cow.

QFT.

Also, I hate all this demonizing of male OB's by fundies. Deeply and seriously.

QFT.

I agree, hope they don't just go to bed while she labors for over 90 hours like I did with #2 son.

I had good births and bad births, some attended by doctors/midwife and some only by nurses because the doctor hadn't there yet but I can tell you that I was treated more gently by male doctors than female doctors/midwives. The nurses were right in the middle of gentleness but my last doc looked just like Santa's twin brother and he didn't show up until 20 minutes after the birth. He was in tears to have missed it and since I was hemorrhaging really bad he took the time to make sure to stay with me until they had me under control. He also washed my hair(don't ask but from the blood loss), bathed me, changed my sheets and got me into a clean gown. He treated me as lovingly and gently as if I had been his own newborn child. Male OBs can really rock as well as the female OBs.

QFT.

Also, she thinks the threat of Listeria and E. coli is just fear-mongering, and advice given in a book about pregnancy is part of a government conspiracy.

I get that people have reasons for drinking raw milk, and I recently made fun of another fundie for being partial to it, and I really don't mean to bash everyone who drinks it. And pregnant women have the right to weigh risks and benefits of actions they take with their own bodies, and come to different conclusions. But claiming that food has no risk because it's "good farm fresh" is stupid. It's not automatically good because it came off a farm--it might be safer if proper cleanliness is maintained, or if the farmer knows what they're doing. And being pregnant means that an infection that would normally be a mild bout of diarrhea could lead to miscarriage, so the risks associated with a very small contamination is higher for you than non-pregnant people. Someone wants to take that risk, fine, but don't act like there's no risk and the warnings are all a big conspiracy.

Also, I wonder if her husband got fussed at by the vet for how they treated the cow. Sarah was sent away with the children the whole time the vet was there.

The male doctor that delivered my son was also my SIL's OB. SIL went into labor and ended up having twin1 in the car and they weren't able to make it to their originally planned hospital, but to one closer to home that her OB wasn't able to practice at. As soon as he heard she went into labor, he drove to the hospital and made sure to stay there with her and my brother *just as a support person* while the other doctors took care of the rest of the delivery/after care. Amazing man.

My young male (extremely attractive) doctor told a nurse to back off when she was being a little too pushy while I was delivering. He knows I don't like people touching me and she kept grabbing my knee.

Also, she thinks the threat of Listeria and E. coli is just fear-mongering, and advice given in a book about pregnancy is part of a government conspiracy.

I get that people have reasons for drinking raw milk, and I recently made fun of another fundie for being partial to it, and I really don't mean to bash everyone who drinks it. And pregnant women have the right to weigh risks and benefits of actions they take with their own bodies, and come to different conclusions. But claiming that food has no risk because it's "good farm fresh" is stupid. It's not automatically good because it came off a farm--it might be safer if proper cleanliness is maintained, or if the farmer knows what they're doing. And being pregnant means that an infection that would normally be a mild bout of diarrhea could lead to miscarriage, so the risks associated with a very small contamination is higher for you than non-pregnant people. Someone wants to take that risk, fine, but don't act like there's no risk and the warnings are all a big conspiracy.

Also, I wonder if her husband got fussed at by the vet for how they treated the cow. Sarah was sent away with the children the whole time the vet was there.

Wow!! Ecoli and Listeria Really do happen. She's really not that bright now, is she? Even if you keep something super clean shit still happens. There's no such thing as 100 percent clean- the risk is always there.

I haven't given birth but the gentlest pelvic exams I've ever had were by a male GYN. I love love love my nurse practitioner here and she's pretty good but not as good as he was. In and out almost before you really realized what was going on. It almost, but not quite, caused me not to hate such exams with a passion. I do prefer talking about woman stuff with another woman, but competence wins out over sex.

I would only drink (or use, I don't drink milk straight) raw milk if I knew the cow, and I knew the farmer, and I knew their vet, and I knew the conditions said cow lived in -- as in, had been there and seen everything. That being said if I did and everything passed muster, I probably would. I recently found out how ridiculously easy it is to make paneer (yuuuuuuuum) and the thought of using straight-from-the-cow milk leaves me weak in the knees. Even with heating it I'm not using raw.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I would bump this rather than make a new thread for Sarah.

I was cruising her blog today and noted this new post:

Recently I have been thinking about my approach to publishing the negative comments I receive. Normally I don't really mind the offensive, obnoxious comments, but for some reason over the last month or two, they have really started to suck the fun out of blogging for me. Plus the Bible warns about keeping "company" with fools; so here are my new rules for the comments I will allow:

You do not have to have a Google ID to comment; anonymous comment are allowed as long as they meet the criteria in the following point.

You may only leave positive, constructive comments, even if you disagree with my point-of-view.

So, from this point forth any negative, critical, or similar type comments will be immediately deleted, and will not be given a platform on my blog.

In the real world millions of us cope with disagreement daily. What's up with fundies not being able to cope with it?

Yes, pretty much this. First time calvers are supposed to have a bull with predicted low birthweight calves. But that's just for marketing operations- since this a family farm they probably just used the nearest bull, in which case you wait till the heifer is a little older to breed her.

As far as pulling calves, if the hooves and head are put, yes, pulling to get the shoulders out is really very common. But once in a while you get the odd cow that doesn't dilate or just quits, or the calf that is just really really huge. In that case they generally cut the calf up to get it out and cull the cow. If one leg or a head is down, you pull all damn day and it's not going to come.

Dairy cows are different. They are really roomy and dairy cows are;t bred to be huge like beef cows, so birth is usually easier. Either way, if you only have a few cows, what's the difference at calling the vet at the first sign? Pulling a calf or cutting one out is one of the cheapest things to pay for. Treating a sick cow or trying to save a dying one is what costs the big bucks. And of course losing one is a loss into the thousands.

I've never owned a cow(but I want to) however, wouldn't it be more cost effective to either have a vet or an experienced cow person assist in the first few births so that the new owner can learn whatever they need to know? I'd rather pay money for the vet or admit to another cow person that I'm a little ignorant then spend the money to replace the cow.

Paneer, by the way, is the bomb. Yum!

In the real world millions of us cope with disagreement daily. What's up with fundies not being able to cope with it?

So let me see if I understand correctly, it is OK to leave a comment that disagrees with her point of view, buy you are not allowed to leave one that is critical of her point of view. Yeah right. :roll:

Me thinks this is preventive action for a nasty post she wants to get up.

First.....i was always taught if your going to breed, then get a mentor, someone experienced to show you the ropes. Second..if labor is hard or not progressing call the vet. Heck I call the vet witj myanimals everytime they go into labor just to inform him..incase I need him. He laughs at me but tells me he weither have more ownets like me than the ones that call after its to late. Third...why the heck did they put a in labor cow back in the pasture? wtf? Plus, how can one be postively critical?

She is too dumb to defend her stand-point, and she knows it. She never makes much sense when she tries to. She always feels offended when someone disagrees with her.

"I'm not sure why you feel the need to explain your decision here on my blog, seeing as you already know my opinion?"

"I will not belabor the points with you over miles of comments, this is my blog after all. I appreciate you taking the time to explain your points of view, but I do very much disagree with them based on my own Bible reading! "

I'm bumping this instead of making a new post about her. Has anyone been to her blog lately? She had a miscarriage.

I'm sorry for her loss. They only reason why I won't snark is out of respect for the FJs who have also suffered a loss.

going back to the old lady corner to sit on my hands

going back to the old lady corner to sit on my hands

Teehee.

I always feel irrationally guilty when bad things happen to people I don't like. Like, "Universe, you know I didn't ask for this, right? Right?" Because what I wish is that she'd realize she's written stupid things on the internet and have to do a great big facepalm. I also wish she hadn't had to go through a miscarriage, because that's sad.

I may be a terrible, horrible person, but I had a little sigh of relief that at least she won't have to face the potential of a really bad delivery and a husband who treats her like that cow.

Someone should have stuck their hand up that cow to feel where the head was before the feet dropped. If the head was in a good position I would have pulled. Mind you I'm small and never pulled a calf on my own, but I've pulled, lamas, and goats.

I'm interested in folks opinions on this as well. Nothing like speculating on how to pull a calf for some fast Saturday night action :dance:

This if you have the experience like Experiencedd or you call the vet immediately upon seeing the foot. Why do so many fundies seem to lack common sense?

• 2 weeks later...

I grew up on a cattle farm. During calving season we would check the barn, or the Moo-ternity Wing, regularly - about every 3-4 hours - even through the night. Going out at 4 am on a cold January morning really sucked so I usually stayed up for the midnight check. If we saw any signs of labour - raised tail, slime, hooves out, we'd go get the others up and check the cow. Usual case scenario, the cow would calve on her own. If after a half hour the hooves were still out but there was no progresson, we would examine the cow by checking that the head was in position and not flipped back and that there were front legs coming first. We used plastic gloves that went to your shoulder, a lubicant - veg oil. If we had to pull, we would get the stainless steel chains for the feet and attatch them to a puller. We would crank and pull with the cow's contractions. Sometimes if we determined there was not enough room, the calf's feel were huge, twins, we would call the vet who would either pull or do a c-section. As soon as the calf was born we would hang it upside down - very slippery with a 90-100 lb baby and clean it's mouth. We then would give it it's shots and let it's mother take over. Usually we'd go in for a coffee and check an hour or so later to ensure the calf was up and sucking. Teaching a calf to nurse on a cow that would like to kill you is another story... Most, thank goodness, figured that out on their own...

What this Sarah's family did was negligent. They lost a calf and the cow will not be that great either. It takes compassion, hard work and sacrifice to do that job and they don't have it.

Archived