IGNORED

To The Bate Defenders

debrand

Slightly off topic here:

I also have many issues with these families. Both "headships" disgust me for the choices they've made in leading their families into the Gothard cult. Again I disagree with pretty much everything they espouse, but I get distinct vibes from each man. Duggar gives me the impression he's an annoying dork, but his demeanor itself (as opposed to his views) doesn't squick me out. Bates, on the other hand, has always given me a major case of the heebie jeebies. There is just something about him that doesn't sit right with me. Am I the only one?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Slightly off topic here:

I also have many issues with these families. Both "headships" disgust me for the choices they've made in leading their families into the Gothard cult. Again I disagree with pretty much everything they espouse, but I get distinct vibes from each man. Duggar gives me the impression he's an annoying dork, but his demeanor itself (as opposed to his views) doesn't squick me out. Bates, on the other hand, has always given me a major case of the heebie jeebies. There is just something about him that doesn't sit right with me. Am I the only one?

NO! You're not the only one! He's always squicked me out too, mostly because he's such a big fat phony. He's the kind of guy you'd hate to be alone in the kitchen with at a party, cuz you just know he's gonna hit on you. Then later you'll see him out with everyone else, talking about how great his wife is. I just really want to sock him in the mouth. :twisted:

Slightly off topic here:

No, you're not alone in this.

I'm so glad someone brought up this topic. I don't see any redeeming value in the Bateses. Ok, so the parents spend some time homeschooling the kids, but why does that count if they're only teaching creationism and revisionist history anyway? Why should I pat them on the back for teaching their kids a bunch if lies just because they seem to spend more time on it than other fundies? And any knowledge that Erin gets at her one college course is likely just as bad.

Saying that the Bateses are less bad than the Duggars is sort of like saying it's fine to hit your kids as long as you're not as extreme as the Pearls.

This isn't glass half full vs glass half empty. It's tiny drop of water in the glass vs glass mostly empty. And people keep grasping at that tiny drop of water like it should count for something.

They are the same bunch of malarkey in different packaging. While one group is a little better in one area, then they are worse in another so it really makes no difference. They both are following Gothard which implies a lot of bad practices, a lack of thinking for themselves, and very little true understanding of the religion that they profess.

Slightly off topic here:

Nope, you're not. I with you, deelaem and donks in being creeped out by Gil Bates.

Gil does have this creep factor.

Is it me or do Kelly and Michelle seem blissed out like they take drugs or something.

Kelly does seem to be more involved than Michelle but we shouldn't be comparing her to Michelle. We should compare them to more normal moms of large families the ones who go go go all day long and while the kids all have chores mom and dad are the parents and the kids are the kids.

I'm another of the ones more creeped out by Gil then JB. They both have serious "ick" factor, but to me, Gil comes across as more...sinister...for lack of a better word.

I'm another of the ones more creeped out by Gil then JB. They both have serious "ick" factor, but to me, Gil comes across as more...sinister...for lack of a better word.

I agree with this. I wouldn't want to be alone in a room with either of them, but Gil somehow manages to go above and beyond JB in creepiness. And they both seem like they would have really bad tempers with their kids (and probably wives). I can definitely see Gil making a kid cut their own switch.

Slightly off topic here:

He definitely creeps me out more than JB. He just has this weird look about him. I also imagine he is a two-pump chump in the bedroom. I can't imagine him being anything other than a fucking jackrabbit. Not that I think of him having sex all that often...I swear I don't. Gross. Ew...now I am going to bathe in bleach.

I find it interesting that at least two families that the Duggars are friends with have shown blatant Confederate/racist leanings, but we haven't seen it in the Duggars. And it feels like I should end that last sentence with "yet."

I find it interesting that at least two families that the Duggars are friends with have shown blatant Confederate/racist leanings, but we haven't seen it in the Duggars. And it feels like I should end that last sentence with "yet."

John David suggested the name "Jefferson Davis" for baby 20. I'd say that's a strong indication of Confederate leanings. God knows what we don't get to see and hear.

I agree with this. I wouldn't want to be alone in a room with either of them, but Gil somehow manages to go above and beyond JB in creepiness. And they both seem like they would have really bad tempers with their kids (and probably wives). I can definitely see Gil making a kid cut their own switch.

I agree that Gil seems to have rage always simmering just below the surface. Obviously this is hypothetical, but if I were to have one-on-one conversations with both JB and Gil, I think it'd be weird with JimBob but not such a big deal (to me, lol), but there's no way in HELL I'd want to be alone with Pa Bates!!

I would want to wear my pointiest boots for a one-on-one meeting with either.

Just don't get them caught in the enormous pleats on Gil's pants.

Slightly off topic here:

I've always thought that if Michelle said that she wasn't having more children, Jim Bob would accept her decision. He might not be happy but he would understand it was his wife's choice.

I think that Gil would be less accepting of Kelly's choice to not have more children.

Hasn't Kelly experienced more problems with pregnancy then Michelle?

I wonder what would happen if Michelle or Kelly required an ER hysterectomy to save their lives during childbirth? If death is imminent without an ER hysterectomy is that something doctors would do without consulting the husband or next of kin? I don't know what the legalities are about that. Most men would say save my wife (that's what my BIL did & thankfully sis & nephew are alive today). I get the distinct vibe from Gil that he wouldn't care as long as that blessing was born. JB I'm on the fence about. I sense that he loves her, but part of me says he would say save my wife, bu yet another part of me thinks he wouldn't care either.

I wonder what would happen if Michelle or Kelly required an ER hysterectomy to save their lives during childbirth? If death is imminent without an ER hysterectomy is that something doctors would do without consulting the husband or next of kin? I don't know what the legalities are about that.

I don't know about the actual legalities, but Carolyn Jessop (she escaped from the FLDS where women are also expected to have as many babies as possible) said she had an emergency hysterectomy without her consent because otherwise she would have died. Afterwards the doctor came and apologized because he knew how much her religion valued pregnancy/having babies, and she basically told him, "I have eight children already, I don't need more."

I wonder what would happen if Michelle or Kelly required an ER hysterectomy to save their lives during childbirth? If death is imminent without an ER hysterectomy is that something doctors would do without consulting the husband or next of kin? I don't know what the legalities are about that. Most men would say save my wife (that's what my BIL did & thankfully sis & nephew are alive today). I get the distinct vibe from Gil that he wouldn't care as long as that blessing was born. JB I'm on the fence about. I sense that he loves her, but part of me says he would say save my wife, bu yet another part of me thinks he wouldn't care either.

I believe JB would say do a hysterectomy. Josie's birth was high risk due to being so premature. But JB did not want M to have a stroke and /or die.

I think ATI accepts this if it's life and death... I seem to remember another fundy family, with a ministry in Baja California who had about 10 kids under 12 but the mother had had an emergency hysterectomy to save her life after twins. They still seemed to be gothardites, though.

I think Boob would be ok with the hysterectomy (sp?) To save Mullet. The Duggars and TLC would just spin it to their favor. Suddenly adoption would be A-ok in Duggarville-anything to keep those checks rolling in, and the famewhores in the spotlight.

Gil, IMO, wouldn't go for the surgery. I don't get the feeling there's actual 'love' there. She seems more downtrodden than Mullet, more of a belonging to Gil than his love. He'd mourn for a period of time he deems fit, then find a new, brainwashed Gothard Girl and start Bates Family ver 2.0

I'm glad that other people find the Bateses as troubling as I do.

Some of you brought up good points.I'd forgotten about the Bateses horses or that they had a picture of the founder fo the KKK on one of their walls. ...

There are many reasons why I do not like nor approve of the Bates' parents and the way they choose to have more children than they can afford, but the fact that they obviously admire the founder of the KKK is enough for me to find them despicable.

There are many reasons why I do not like nor approve of the Bates' parents and the way they choose to have more children than they can afford, but the fact that they obviously admire the founder of the KKK is enough for me to find them despicable.

I should have written Bates' horses. Sorry about my stupid typo.

Honestly, southern pride concerns me. I don't understand worshipping a group of people who wre traitors to their country. And the KKK was a terrorist orgnaization. The fact that they had a photo of the founder of the Klan makes me wonder what is lurking beneath their sweet demeanor.

The Duggars outrage me, but the Bates rub the wrong way for reasons I can't quite explain. I don't have this same reaction to the Duggars or other fundie families as I do the Bates. I can agree that Kelly is much more involved than Michelle, and education is more important in the Bates household, but still... can't stand the Bates.

I feel the same and I used to think I am the only one.

BTW I remeber one of the earlier episodes where they went skydiving together with the Bateses and Gil said to Jim Bob "If your girls jump, my girls will also jump" (or something like that). To me that sounded like he considers himself as the person who decides if his daughters jump or not. It's possible that I just heard something that wasn't really there but it made me prick up my ears.

Archived