IGNORED

MckMama Drama - Including the Fire - Merge

The Archivist

My father-in-law runs a small herd of registered Angus cattle. To my knowledge, calves have never, ever been in the house. If they need to be bottle-fed, they're kept in the barn. But I also know other families in our area bring babies in the house when they need extra care. To each their own, I guess.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My father-in-law runs a small herd of registered Angus cattle. To my knowledge, calves have never, ever been in the house. If they need to be bottle-fed, they're kept in the barn. But I also know other families in our area bring babies in the house when they need extra care. To each their own, I guess.

Angus are BIG cattle too. A lot bigger than dairy goat kids. Having been around Hereford calves and dairy goat kids, I don't think I'd want a beef cattle calf in my house either.

Anybody ever read Charlotte's web? Where they have to save the rejected piglet by bringing it into the house? It's been a pretty common practice for a long time. My great grandpa used to send stuff home with my grandpa (who lived in town, not on the ranch) for my mom and siblings to raise and send back to the ranch in the 50's and 60's.

During my brief foray into goat-raising (shudder) we kept the kids with their mothers because they needed the colostrum, and once the true milk came in there was more than enough for us humans and the kids. I know the commercial goat dairies separate the moms and kids immediately, but it seems rather inhumane, and also more work than I cared to take on. It was enough work bottle-feeding twin lambs whose mother wasn't able to care for them.Power failures, orphans, sick mamas, that's another story. Then you do what you have to do. Including bringing a box full of week-old chicks and a heat lamp into my office during a power failure, when there wasn't going to be anyone at home to keep the woodstove going.

Supposedly mama goat could be infected with CAE? I have no experience with goats so I only know what I read online this morning about it.

She isn't exactly, hmm, consistent? I can't see her being responsible for baby goats day in and day out. She'll tire of it quickly and who knows what will happen then.

I must take time to rip Mcmama a new asshole. First I'd like to address goats in the house.

I've never had my caprines in the house, but our basement has seen its share of puppies, kittens, chicks, ducks and geese. And it came with a floor drain, which made clean up easy. Kids lived in the barn, but we used our brains when breeding and had planned spring births. Moms could graze on spring grass, kids could transition to good grass. We kept the kids on the does until the does weaned them. We weren't dependent on our breeding goats for milk but a nursing dam will produce whats needed and I did hand milk.

What pisses me off about this whole situation is the kids are isolated from the moms due to CAE (a virus). The dams were likely suffering from very painful joints at the time they were pregnant, a situation worsened by carrying their offspring. Now this idiot bought her two goats for $800 and never had them tested for a CAE antibody. Stoopid. And she bred them without testing. At some point she did test, perhaps because she noticed their lameness, or neurologic problems?? So now she has more goats, which shouldn't be introduced into a stall the infected goats in habited. Chances are the kids will eventually become infected even though she is practicing her version of herd isolation.

Breeders will cull CAE animals due to the high risk of infection and to keep the animals from needlessly suffering.

Not to mention that whoever sold her those animals sold them to her.

This is making my blood boil. Chances are who ever sold those animals to her has an infected herd.

Argh and did she think that kids hooves are not made for walking on a hardwood floor?? These kids are at risk for having CAE and joint problems, ja it just makes sense to put them on a smoothe surface :angry-screaming:

Another thing is that she is raising that little buckling WAY too close to humans. There are likely to be some major issues with behavior as he grows up. And as somebody who raises animals, why name them unless you are going to keep them? Especially in the case of buck kids when they are likely to be food?

Another thing is that she is raising that little buckling WAY too close to humans. There are likely to be some major issues with behavior as he grows up. And as somebody who raises animals, why name them unless you are going to keep them? Especially in the case of buck kids when they are likely to be food?

I'm guessing she will keep him unaltered to inbreed her new herd.

This is stoopid that truely burns Wolfie. We named the pet goats, and kept our two maidens forever. The herd, was money and food. I never named a chicken, but the geese were pets and named.

I'm guessing she will keep him unaltered to inbreed her new herd.

This is stoopid that truely burns Wolfie. We named the pet goats, and kept our two maidens forever. The herd, was money and food. I never named a chicken, but the geese were pets and named.

Oh, I know how stupid it is, and it's the kind of stupid that makes me so mad, because these people are why they keep making more and more laws that are anti-animal because people don't understand the critters. (I've raised a small animal for over 10 years now, so I've seen a lot of stupidity in them too. The larger the animal, the more chance of danger from incorrect and stupid care.)

Wolfie I got into some shit over on Urban Exodus before it died. Some idiot had a 1.5 year old billy he was gonna slaughter for food.

Just adding my 2 cents, I've seen this before myself. I grew up on the plains and it wasn't uncommon to visit friends and find a calf or some kind of newborn animal in the kitchen. A box of chickens/ducks/turkeys/geese made for a fun afternoon but colt or calf could be hard visit if it wanted to sample your milk and cookies.

My husband won't let me keep barnyard animals because he knows for a fact I would be trying to bring any and all animals in the home every time the weather got cold and he refuses to sleep with any more animals. We only have 2 pugs and 1 cat in bed as the lab sleeps on her sofa and the other cat sleeps with the little ones. I don't see the big deal of letting a small piggy in bed with us but my husband has put his foot down to only feline or canine type animals. Maybe it was the field mice incident that brought on that rule but I have to adbid to his wishes. :?

Grew up with sheep and cows. We bottle fed calves from time to time and often bottle fed lambs. They were usually fed out in the pen/pasture though. If we had a lamb that was having a really rough time, or it was super cold and mom would have nothing to do with it, it would live in a cardboard box in our lower entryway. These lambs were the ones not expected to make it and they rarely hopped out of the box to go exploring.

In her latest post they're up on the couch and wearing diapers.

Those goat kids are going to grow up quickly, and within days she might have 2 or 3 more. How cute is it gonna be when they're 60 lbs a piece and think they're human?

Oh MCKMama. You truly can't think more than a day in advance, can ya?

In a week those kids are going to be bouncing and capering all over her wooden floors and into furniture. Someone will get hurt.

No worries...just an excuse for more hospital drama!

Wolfie I got into some shit over on Urban Exodus before it died. Some idiot had a 1.5 year old billy he was gonna slaughter for food.

Not sure what Urban Exodus was, but if it's anything like it sounded like, I bet that a person who tried to buy dairy goats from a friend was there. Apparently she was so nervous and skittish around my friends' really tame goats that she had the goats freaking out. And she had ordered some mini cattle from someplace across the country that she was waiting to have delivered too. My friend refused to sell her the goats and still worries what might have happened with the cattle.

No worries...just an excuse for more hospital drama!

I'm afraid a goat will get hurt ;)

Wolfie: Urban Exodus was a forum run by Gabe Anast.

I'm afraid a goat will get hurt ;)

Wolfie: Urban Exodus was a forum run by Gabe Anast.

But she does vet drama too--remember the Mckittens' entry into the world via c-section? :D

The diapers are what really burned me earlier today! I felt badly for the goats and although I know NOTHING about raising goats, I don't think it's really too natural to diaper them...

I am curious - What kind of behavior problems might goats manifest if raised too closely with humans?

(I'll admit, though... those pictures were CUTE!)

When I was about 12 I bought a week old kid from the local auction house for $2 because I felt so sorry for the poor little guy. I spent my allowance for the next few months on formula and bottlefed, cuddled, and loved the heck out of the little dude. Problem was, he did eventually grow up, and although he was always quite small and never aggressive, it really wasn't fun to have a billy goat launch himself on to your back every time you bent over to pick something up in the barnyard. Or to have him try and playfight, because he did eventually grow horns. Thank goodness he eventually bonded to the other goats/sheep and got over it, but I learned the hard way that cute baby goats aren't cute forever.

Don't get me wrong, I love goats. My ambition is to have a hobby farm with a small herd one day - they're my favorite farm animal. I'm just not an idiot anymore.

riffle edit.

I am curious - What kind of behavior problems might goats manifest if raised too closely with humans?

The bucks, if not wethered, can see themselves as same as a human and once their hormones kick in, they can seriously try to dominate the human. It causes lots of behavior problems in the long run, rams (sheep) can have the same problem.

Man, that poor kid is in the hospital AGAIN. This time with pneumonia. I hope he turns out fine =(

Poor kid - I hope he turns around. I seriously think that Jennifer has Munchhausen syndrome! She feeds off this and diverts traffic from twitter to her blog and back and forth. I find it disgusting.

Archived