IGNORED

Erin Bates with Greg Howlett interview

TinyDancer87

I thought this was a nice interview with Erin Bates. Not much to snark upon, only because she talks about different piano styles, her favorite composers & artists, and her talent. She is also better in front of the camera than most of the Duggar girls, IMO.

gkqCDlkFjgo

ETA: I suck at embedding videos... help?

Edited again: Problem fixed!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a nice interview. She teaches 40 students... wow! I think it's great that Erin is working a pursuing her music interests.

I thought this was a nice interview with Erin Bates. Not much to snark upon, only because she talks about different piano styles, her favorite composers & artists, and her talent. She is also better in front of the camera than most of the Duggar girls, IMO.

ETA: I suck at embedding videos... help?

Copy my link and see what I removed but incase it doesn't work like that you want to remove the / and everything before it.

gkqCDlkFjgo

Thanks Ladypuglover!

Yes, what I enjoy about Erin is that she pursues a career that exemplifies her talents. I think that's fantastic. I suppose she can have a snobby princess attitude, but that's a result of her holier-than-thou upbringing. At least she works hard and practices.

Her body language in the beginning is comical; she leans so far from Greg, like she's uncomfortable with how close they are :)

It is obvious that she really loves playing piano. And I'm glad that she doesn't have to look for a sibling to determine how to answer questions.

She does lean away from Greg during the interview. It's like she is thinking, "Please, don't touch me." LOL

That's a nice interview. She teaches 40 students... wow! I think it's great that Erin is working a pursuing her music interests.

Do you play piano yourself?

Have you listened to Erin playing?

I am a pianist. I have 41 years' experience accompanying for church.

We have had previous FJ discussion of Erin's skill set.

Oh- I am familiar with Kim Collingsworth and Stan Whitmire (and Dino...) who were mentioned by Erin in that interview. Erin's skills aren't even remotely similar.

I'm glad to hear she's still in college and that she is teaching forty students. It seems to me that the Bateses are the most normal of all the Quiverfull/ATI families.

Do you play piano yourself?

Have you listened to Erin playing?

I've heard her play, but I'm not qualified to judge her skills. I wasn't really commenting on her talent or ability. I just think it's great that she is working so much, given that her family's in a culture where there aren't many career opportunities for women. Some girls in these families have no jobs, so sources of income, no work experience, no college or outside classes... I'm just happy she has what sounds like a full schedule.

Also, it's clear that she really enjoys piano, and I think that's a good thing in itself. She's able to pursue something she finds fun. Not everybody has to be the best in their field.

I know very little about piano playing and haven't really listened to Erin play. However, if apple's comment is true, I don't understand why Erin is being interviewed . There are plenty of average piano students who aren't interviewed because they don't stand out.

I don't think that she is going to college. It sounds like she has private lessons from someone who attends college. I might be wrong though

Like others, I am glad that she has the opportunity to work. Hopefully, she is allowed to save her own money and doesn't have to turn her funds over to mom and dad

As a pianist myself, I hate to see poor habits and practices taught to those trying to learn. At least once the student is past the extreme beginner stage (some would say even then), it's very important that the teacher have the correct skills to teach. (Aside: The teacher should also WANT to teach; skills alone don't make someone a good teacher. Some highly skilled people hate teaching).

Also, it's clear that she really enjoys piano, and I think that's a good thing in itself. She's able to pursue something she finds fun. Not everybody has to be the best in their field.

I have nothing at all against her enjoyment.

My problem is the teaching 40 students part.

How does one make the curls she has on the bottom part of her hair? I have three different sized curling irons and a ceramic iron (that my niece used on me to make curls, don't ask me how!), but can't make those curls. I try using videos on Youtube but I can't seem to follow them.

She does go to college. She goes to a local unaccredited Bible college, but I can't remember the name. She (ahem, her parents) chose that over a full ride to University of Tennessee.

How does one make the curls she has on the bottom part of her hair? I have three different sized curling irons and a ceramic iron (that my niece used on me to make curls, don't ask me how!), but can't make those curls. I try using videos on Youtube but I can't seem to follow them.

I did it once. Straightened it, then used my mom's curling iron which was like 3/4 of an inch in diameter. I think I curled each strand from the bottom up, each "curling" being a bit looser until it was straight. Then hairsprayed the shit out of it. It was a disgusting mess for days afterwards, though. Worth it, though, seeing as it was my graduation (my school didn't have prom).

She does go to college. She goes to a local unaccredited Bible college, but I can't remember the name. She (ahem, her parents) chose that over a full ride to University of Tennessee.

Isn't it Crown College of the Bible?

Whether or not you like Gil and Kelly Bates, and whatever you think of their religious beliefs, they are very normal people who encourage each child to be the best they can be. They are not big on gender roles and their children have more freedom to come and go to different events. It is nice to see them reflected in a positive light and once their show is on in June, I'm sure more positive remarks will be heard. One of the differences between Gil Bates and Jim Bob Duggar is that Gil pitches right in with every project and JB stands around telling the kids to 'Hurry up, hurry up, we need to leave now, blah, blah." Also, and this started as a joke about the 'courting booth,' it is actually their prayer room. Not very scary looking, is it?

Hair curled only on the bottom was a thing in Japan in the late 80's/early 90's. I just got a perm on the bottom part of my hair, it was easier, and the only way it would stay in my hair anyway.

Just watched the interview. I agree with the OP, Erin does better in interviews than the Duggar girls. I think she has a lot of talent. I've gotten a bit smug vibe from Erin in the past, especially she made comment about not wanting to attend a college with someone with green hair.

I don't know why everyone is always so eager to give the Bateses credit. Erin is not going to college in the normal sense. She gets to take a few classes at an unaccredited school with a brother along to chaperone. She will never get a degree and she will never have any measure of independence. She's allowed to work now and earn money, but it either will go to pay for Kelly's fertility treatments, or it will belong to her husband as soon as she is married. If she is "allowed" to keep working after marriage, it will only be her husband's choice, and she'll have to do it on top of raising a bunch of young children. She's a grown woman who will always need to get permission from others to even be allowed to earn money. Sure, she has pretty hair and is somewhat poised. The only benefit it will get her is a fundie husband rather than a lifetime of raising her siblings.

Whether or not you like Gil and Kelly Bates, and whatever you think of their religious beliefs, they are very normal people who encourage each child to be the best they can be. They are not big on gender roles and their children have more freedom to come and go to different events. It is nice to see them reflected in a positive light and once their show is on in June, I'm sure more positive remarks will be heard. One of the differences between Gil Bates and Jim Bob Duggar is that Gil pitches right in with every project and JB stands around telling the kids to 'Hurry up, hurry up, we need to leave now, blah, blah." Also, and this started as a joke about the 'courting booth,' it is actually their prayer room. Not very scary looking, is it?

I totally disagree. They seem to be very big on traditional gender roles, which is why you see Lawson running a landscape business and Michaela raising her siblings. They also don't seem to have any more freedom than the Duggar girls. If they did, then they would have trusted Erin to go to the University of Tennessee. I don't know of any college kids who need to attend class with a chaperone. :roll: No, the Bates children are in the same position as the Duggars - courtship, no college except College Minus, home businesses, and teen girls raising their mother's children.

Archived