IGNORED

Adoption coercion on 16 and Pregnant

MadameX

experiencedd, put your feet up! I'm going to go mix you a cocktail. It's a martini, right? Remind me how you like 'em.

Bombay, dry, bruised two olives. The glass and gin are in the freezer. TY

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous
Bombay, dry, bruised two olives. The glass and gin are in the freezer. TY

I'm on it! I heard this little bon mot the other day and thought of you. "I like my martinis like I like my men. Dirty, strong, and full of gin."

Damn, a martini sounds good right now. I have not had one in a long time. No one in Germany knows how to make one properly.

I'm on it! I heard this little bon mot the other day and thought of you. "I like my martinis like I like my men. Dirty, strong, and full of gin."

Gosh that sounds so Mae West. :lol:

Guest Anonymous
Gosh that sounds so Mae West. :lol:

I have no idea of its original source, but it was quoted to me and I thought it was hilarious.

I have no idea of its original source, but it was quoted to me and I thought it was hilarious.

I tried to find the source and couldn't

Parents who have a child in their late 20’s, and a grand child who is a few months old, will usually take care of the baby if their daughter dies. In fact, grandparents who would give thier grandchild up for adoption would be considered bad people. So why is it wrong for parents to help their pregnant teenage daughter in such a way where she would not have to give up her child for adoption? In this argument people seems to forget, that the grandparents of the baby, are the teen parents’parents.

Darth Cupcake, whoever that is. At least that's the only source I found.

I have known since the age of 12 that I would never have kids, why should I have been forced to waste time in high school learning to care for them? I think we did have a home ec. type class that included those things but I think I was busy taking honors English or Academic Decathlon.

My point being, high school is already so diluted as far as being a place to ignite academic interest and knowledge. Let's not dumb it down any more by basically saying, "Here you go, now you are ready to be a SAHM!"

Why do students need to take trigonometry if they don't plan to build bridges or figure out the height of mountains? I'd consider it part of a general education, and more likely to be relevant to more students than many traditional academic subjects.

OTOH, I'd worry a bit about who controls the content. Much of what I would teach about family relationships is based on a model of mutual respect, not rigid hierarchy and obedience. In plain English - I have no headship or plumbing line in my home, and wouldn't want kids to be taught by someone who did.

Basic child development and family relationships seems appropriate for high school. The specifics on child care (feeding, sleep, safety, etc.) is best left for pre- and post-natal classes, and instruction in hospital or by midwives. It's too specific for kids to remember, and the advice changes radically and rapidly. I had my oldest in 1999 and youngest in 2004, and I'm amazed by things that have changed even since my kids were babies. I was taught to prop up baby #1 with a wedge or rolled-up blankets so that she would sleep on her side (now babies are to sleep on their backs), to avoid peanut products due to allergy fears (current thinking is that introducing peanuts earlier reduces allergies), to face baby backward until at least 6 mos. (current thinking is 2 years), to use a 3-point harness in the infant seat (current thinking is 5-point), to have the baby sleep with me in my hospital bed after my c-sections (some consider that a safety risk now), to use crib bumpers (safety risk), to buy a drop-side crib (safety risk)....

My high school had a parenting class as an elective (although if you were a teen parent with a child in the district daycare center it was mandatory). I took it because it was an easy elective, I suppose it taught me something but I just remember it was easy compared to my other classes. :D

As for trigonometry, it's not required in my state and was not required in the state that I graduated from. It is not just used by engineers, but by anyone who needs calculus, which would be a whole lotta people. Not as many as the number who will need to parent at some point, of course.

My high school had a parenting class as an elective (although if you were a teen parent with a child in the district daycare center it was mandatory). I took it because it was an easy elective, I suppose it taught me something but I just remember it was easy compared to my other classes. :D

As for trigonometry, it's not required in my state and was not required in the state that I graduated from. It is not just used by engineers, but by anyone who needs calculus, which would be a whole lotta people. Not as many as the number who will need to parent at some point, of course.

Ok, just checked the Ontario math curriculum and noticed that everyone has to study quadratic equations. I'm fairly certain that the number of students who will go on to need parenting skills exceed the number who will need to solve formulas for parabolas.

I know it,s slightly OT, but speaking of crazy parents of teen moms, did any of you see the preview for the episode this week? Her mom is telling the teen that she can do whatever she wants with her, because she's her mom O_o She seems to want to keep the grandkid in her home with no contact with the baby dad who up to now does not seem a deadbeat dad (and does not seem that it's part of the mom's considerations).

For many personal reasons, this kind of attitude I hate even more than anything else. You don't own your kid and you don't get to make decisions about something as important as their baby!

Ok, just checked the Ontario math curriculum and noticed that everyone has to study quadratic equations. I'm fairly certain that the number of students who will go on to need parenting skills exceed the number who will need to solve formulas for parabolas.

That is so not the point. High school is about beginning a student's relationship with higher-level critical thinking in academics. Did you need to read Shakespeare? Memorize all the dates of the battles of the Civil War? Know how to dissect a cow's eyeball? No. High school isn't for teaching you life skills. You have parents for that. Hopefully you will go on and do something worthwhile after college and I guess if you're Michelle Duggar a parenting class would have been the most useful thing you did. For some students, high school is their only chance to be engaged in any sort of academic pursuit. I am not sure I see the benefit in cutting that out to make room for parenting classes. American high school kids graduate at shockingly low levels of proficiency as it is.

That is so not the point. High school is about beginning a student's relationship with higher-level critical thinking in academics. Did you need to read Shakespeare? Memorize all the dates of the battles of the Civil War? Know how to dissect a cow's eyeball? No. High school isn't for teaching you life skills. You have parents for that. Hopefully you will go on and do something worthwhile after college and I guess if you're Michelle Duggar a parenting class would have been the most useful thing you did. For some students, high school is their only chance to be engaged in any sort of academic pursuit. I am not sure I see the benefit in cutting that out to make room for parenting classes. American high school kids graduate at shockingly low levels of proficiency as it is.

While I agree with your first few sentences, there are a number of us here that are SAHPs and you just kind of insulted all of us with the bolded, unless I'm reading it wrong.

While I agree with your first few sentences, there are a number of us here that are SAHPs and you just kind of insulted all of us with the bolded, unless I'm reading it wrong.

I really hope that the SAHPs on this board present themselves to their children as someone more diverse and educated than a brood sow, is my point. I'm sorry, I did word it poorly. I don't mean to insult SAHPs at all, rather to contrast them with someone whose sole purpose in life is to breed. I know lots of really well-rounded and interesting SAHMs who are great role models for their kids because they're also educated, critical thinkers with hobbies and opinions and I would argue that for many of them, their formal, academic educations helped shape that side of them. I would hate to take away what is for some people the only time in a young adult's life to engage academically for the sake of learning to learn, and replace it with a parenting class.

I really hope that the SAHPs on this board present themselves to their children as someone more diverse and educated than a brood sow, is my point. I'm sorry, I did word it poorly. I don't mean to insult SAHPs at all, rather to contrast them with someone whose sole purpose in life is to breed. I know lots of really well-rounded and interesting SAHMs who are great role models for their kids because they're also educated, critical thinkers with hobbies and opinions and I would argue that for many of them, their formal, academic educations helped shape that side of them. I would hate to take away what is for some people the only time in a young adult's life to engage academically for the sake of learning to learn, and replace it with a parenting class.

I'm not talking about How to Change Diapers 101.

I am talking about courses to learn about interpersonal relationships - how to resolve a difference of opinion without bullying or killing the other person, basic child psychology and development, and models of family dynamics.

While I won't disparage all knowledge from elders, I've noticed a huge trend in my cases where those that simply mimic the parenting that they received without engaging in critical thought or accepting further education tend to to perpetuate the worst practices. It takes conscious, higher-level critical thought and knowledge to challenge dysfunctional relationships and patterns.

Critical thinking about child development and family dynamics would have challenged the Duggar world-view, esp. the part that promoted the Pearls.

I actually considered the child psychology that we learned in my high school Children's Literature course to be higher-level critical thinking. Ditto the courses that dealt with effective teaching. Ditto the university psychology course. Ditto the law school courses on dispute resolution. Ditto the law school course on family law and gender equality, which delved into the theory of the family. Knowing something about family dynamics and parenting theory has been absolutely essential in my career as a family and child protection lawyer. It's also been essential for my sister-in-law (a social worker), my sister (community health outreach worker), my brother-in-law (who works with kids and young adults with special needs), my mother (a teacher), my husband (a doctor), my friend (school psychologist), etc.

My high school also had a parenting class but it combined the parenting stuff with actually running a small preschool at the high school. We learned about planning lessons along with lots about child development. I actually took it all four years of high school and it led to me majoring in Early Childhood Education once I reached college. However it was an elective although I do think teen parents were strongly encouraged (possibly required) since all of the teen parents at my high school took the class.

Here's a picture from Alex's FB that had everyone in an uproar: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=191310977638405&set=o.275117479215536&type=1&theater The poor kid is in a forward facing seat that can't even be used as rear facing. Supposedly the baby is "advanced" and could undo the the infant car seat. I hate this more than I hate seeing small infants in umbrella strollers!

Talk about positional asphyxia risk! Poor baby

No problem, thanks for clearing it up. 8-)

I'm not talking about How to Change Diapers 101.

I am talking about courses to learn about interpersonal relationships - how to resolve a difference of opinion without bullying or killing the other person, basic child psychology and development, and models of family dynamics.

While I won't disparage all knowledge from elders, I've noticed a huge trend in my cases where those that simply mimic the parenting that they received without engaging in critical thought or accepting further education tend to to perpetuate the worst practices. It takes conscious, higher-level critical thought and knowledge to challenge dysfunctional relationships and patterns.

Critical thinking about child development and family dynamics would have challenged the Duggar world-view, esp. the part that promoted the Pearls.

I actually considered the child psychology that we learned in my high school Children's Literature course to be higher-level critical thinking. Ditto the courses that dealt with effective teaching. Ditto the university psychology course.

I have actually been thinking for a while that it would be good for schools to introduce some psychology to the curriculum (and not just as an elective). I know a lot of schools are struggling to keep up, but there are so many problems that some knowledge of psychology would help with, child care certainly being one of them. I don't think you'd have to delve into much detail for people to get some benefit, even if it's just an understanding of the way children develop. On the other hand, I can hear the parents complaining that the mean psych teacher taught little jimmy that spanking is harmful already... :?

Yes, there is a possibility that students could learn that when a toddler sings the same Barney song 47 times, or repeats an annoying or dangerous action, that they are not actually victims of demonic possession and don't need to have Satan beaten out of them with branches or plumbing line. Instead, they may realize that toddlers have brains that are learning primarily through repetition and experimentation.

Yes, there is a possibility that students could learn that when a toddler sings the same Barney song 47 times, or repeats an annoying or dangerous action, that they are not actually victims of demonic possession and don't need to have Satan beaten out of them with branches or plumbing line. Instead, they may realize that toddlers have brains that are learning primarily through repetition and experimentation.

You mean my 2 year old watching "Elmos' Potty Time" over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over? means he's not possesed? :o

(I'm hoping that sinks in just a bit with him, LOL as I really don't want to change 2 sets of diapers come august but i'm not holding my breath)

LOL. It's actually pretty easy to brainwash a 2 yr old. Mine was convinced that he was a Hasidic Jew after watching Ushpizin 1,000 times, even though it was in a foreign language.

Of course, you'll still have to bite the bullet and have him run around without pants for a week. Pull-ups have great marketing, but they don't actually promote toilet training.

OMG watching new episode this one wins worst mom ever! The teen mom's mom that is..bitch..

I honestly don't know what to think, yes the mom of the teen girl is just awful, she is manipulative and when she does not get what she wants... well she acts like an idiot. I think it was good that she changed her mind, but then the teen dad just dropped the ball.. like seriously he can't expect her to drop her family for him! anyway, I could not find the after show, I hope there's one I'd like to know how it all worked out.

Archived