IGNORED

HOLD UP! Local teen flees from "faith based" camp in Kansas!

longskirtlotsakids

Oh dear. who thinks that this is just another JTTH camp and she wouldn't take it? and she ran away on Easter...

Its a treatment program.. not exactly a school. I know girls have been sent there to get them OUT of abusive homes. Girls who have been addicted to drugs, sexually abused and so forth. There are also centers that are not residential. I have been to the one in Wichita.. I actually was impressed when I spent a day there. They work with the entire family unit, with a the goal being to put the family back together as a unit. They do NOT believe in touching a child, parents have sessions on better communtication and goals to set ect .. but that its never ok to spank or touch a child in anger.

Again this was the wichita center, I haven't been in the KC one but I know girls who did go there. I had a cousin whos daughter went there after being in several other facilities.. and upon returning home shes actually been able to stay in the home for almost a yr. Her entire family did have to go weekly to the center in Wichita for therapy sessions and some classes. Last I heard they were now working on helping the family with goals for sending her to collage.

I agree that book was alarming..... I hadn't heard any of that kind of stuff in regards to the places here, Im not sure what to think.

Guest Anonymous

Is this them? http://houseofhopekc.net/

It seems like it is an all in one school and treatment experience. They seem to have teachers in the house, so the girls don't go out. They don't say much about what the programme actually involves, except they claim that family therapy is unique to them. The 'success stories' seem sparse and contrived and their success rates are fudged by including the individual parents/family members in the count of successes.

I could imagine that kind of environment being very claustrophobic and frightening for a girl who simply doesn't have a belief in God.

ETA: one of the Board members of the KC House of Hope is superintendent of a local Christian Academy which is explicitly homophobic in its own admissions and discipline policies: http://image.schoolspan.com/files/ma-kc ... IKOU3K.pdf. I'm guessing the House of Hope might have similar policies in place?

ETA: one of the Board members of the KC House of Hope is superintendent of a local Christian Academy which is explicitly homophobic in its own admissions and discipline policies: http://image.schoolspan.com/files/ma-kc ... IKOU3K.pdf. I'm guessing the House of Hope might have similar policies in place?

The school also bans hugging. Geez, I'd be out of there so fast. I'm a hugger and would very sad if I couldn't hug my friends.

Archived