IGNORED

Razing Ruth's niece adopted by same sex couple

contrary

Just catching up on the ole blog feed...i didn't see this topic posted yet?

RR's sister, Rachel, chose a same sex couple to adopt her baby. Amazing, given that Rachel is so newly out of "the system".

Predictably, Darth Daddy is apoplectic.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some people are really stupid. Gay couples have been raising kids for ever. Offering adoption is a way to make it more fair for gay couples: it's relatively easy for lesbians to go through insemination and raise their kids, it's harder for gay couples.

I am so Happy for Rachel to have stepped up and really stepped out of their comfort zone.

I think they/she has done what is best for her little girl and i hope that she knows there are tonnes of people out here who think the same.

Please don't listen to Darth Daddy. Your baby is going to have an amazing life with people who will love her for being her.

This makes me very happy. I'm glad the baby will have a good childhood with parents that love her.

Good job both Rachel and Ruth!

i am thrilled, too. I'm just glad that, while she clearly wasn't LOOKING for a gay couple, she picked the very best possible parents for her girl.

awesome. AWESOME!

There are two posts on this topic (on RR's blog, I mean - in one she mentions it, and in the more recent one she addresses the situation more directly), and both of them made me cheer.

Go Ruth, go Rachel, go Ellie, and go the entire adoptive family.

The Gothardites, particularly Darth Daddy and Isaiah, can go to hell.

I don't really care if the baby's adoptive parents are gay, transgender or asexual. I'm just glad Rachel chose the best family based on unconditional love and acceptance [i.e., everything she never got as a child]. And it is my fondest wish for her that she continue to thrive and get the help, support and therapy she needs to live a great life beyond her wildest dreams.

But I do think it's hilarious that Issiah is pissed that the baby went to a same sex couple. A baby he supposedly didn't father. A baby that somehow ended up with 50% of his genetic material even though he never had sex with Rachel. A baby he has absolutely no say over because he's a coward with no moral fiber that refuses to own up to his actions. Rachel's not the first girl he's shagged at an ATI conference. He knew just where to go and at what time so they could be alone and not be caught. I wonder how many more girls he put in this same position? How many more of not-his-children are out there because he's too much of a coward to step up and be responsible? And how many rumors are now circulating about him and his cowardice, now that this situation is on Ruth's blog? [i'm sure that if one grew up in ATI circles, one could put it all together and accurately pinpoint who exactly Issiah is. It would certainly be easy to determine, with a quick Google for ATI conference times, the timeline of Rachel's pregnancy and an inside knowledge of prevalent ATI families.] Who would trust one of their daughters with such a man, a man known to shirk his responsibilities and the consequences of his actions?

I have no thoughts on Darth Daddy, just that he's already in the hell of his own making. Every choice he made about how to treat his wife and raise his children is coming back to bite him on the butt. Oh, well.

usually they email or call Ruth directly, i think. sometimes darth daddy comments on the blog, but not often. He is a total and complete nut job.

I am glad that Rachel choose the best parents for Elle not based on their sexuality but what was best for her overall. :clap: I think it shows she is continueing to break away from her upbringing more everyday that she is away.

I am glad that Rachel choose the best parents for Elle not based on their sexuality but what was best for her overall. :clap: I think it shows she is continueing to break away from her upbringing more everyday that she is away.

Absolutely. this.

I would never in a million years have said 'please pick a same-sex adoptive couple because it will thoroughly piss off these family members treating you so horribly' but I am SO VERY GLAD it happened.

I don't really care if the baby's adoptive parents are gay, transgender or asexual. I'm just glad Rachel chose the best family based on unconditional love and acceptance [i.e., everything she never got as a child]. And it is my fondest wish for her that she continue to thrive and get the help, support and therapy she needs to live a great life beyond her wildest dreams.

But I do think it's hilarious that Issiah is pissed that the baby went to a same sex couple. A baby he supposedly didn't father. A baby that somehow ended up with 50% of his genetic material even though he never had sex with Rachel. A baby he has absolutely no say over because he's a coward with no moral fiber that refuses to own up to his actions. Rachel's not the first girl he's shagged at an ATI conference. He knew just where to go and at what time so they could be alone and not be caught. I wonder how many more girls he put in this same position? How many more of not-his-children are out there because he's too much of a coward to step up and be responsible? And how many rumors are now circulating about him and his cowardice, now that this situation is on Ruth's blog? [i'm sure that if one grew up in ATI circles, one could put it all together and accurately pinpoint who exactly Issiah is. It would certainly be easy to determine, with a quick Google for ATI conference times, the timeline of Rachel's pregnancy and an inside knowledge of prevalent ATI families.] Who would trust one of their daughters with such a man, a man known to shirk his responsibilities and the consequences of his actions?

I have no thoughts on Darth Daddy, just that he's already in the hell of his own making. Every choice he made about how to treat his wife and raise his children is coming back to bite him on the butt. Oh, well.

Didn't grow up ATI, but Smuggar and Mrs. Smuggar had the 2011 conferences listed on their site; the baby was likely conceived at the Sacramento, CA regional conference. Now we just have to figure out the prominent ATI families who would be there, and which ones have 21-year-old sons.

And as happy as I am that Ellie is with two loving, responsible parents, I can't help but feel some schadenfreude for the Gothardites who are pissed that she's with a gay couple.

So glad Rachel (and Ruth) recognized that the 'perfect' way they were raised was mostly BS, and no guarantee of a perfect life.

I've never done a backflip in my life, but if I had just one to do, i'd do it at this news!!! :D

Not that a same-sex couple is any better, per se, than any other couple, but that Ruth and Rachel have gotten so far out from under their father's oppression that they (Rachel) could make a decision based on the loving people who presented themselves to her as prospective parents for the child, and not on "Mr. Gothard's" weird-ass, arbitrary rules.

I'm probably parroting a lot of what's already been said but when I read the first few lines I just had to kvell!!!!

Blessings on them all!!!!

Another upside to the same sex couple adopting Ellie - there's no way they could ever be accepted into ATI if they work up one morning and decided to give it a shot. By selecting a same sex couple to raise her baby, Rachel has ensured her daughter will never have to live the life she did.

I'm sure a "Christian" could come up with lots of negatives, but all I see is Rachel gave her daughter the things she never had - a loving, non judgemental family. Here's to Rachel recovering from the birth quickly and living her life outside the umbrella of her father's oppression.

Not saying I'm not thrilled it this is the case, but I also can't say that it doesn't seem like a huge leap to me. Hmmmm. . .

Not saying I'm not thrilled it this is the case, but I also can't say that it doesn't seem like a huge leap to me. Hmmmm. . .
Warning bells going off? It could be that unconsciously Rachel was trying to get a family for Ellie that was the complete opposite of her family AND needle her father one last time too. It's not uncommon for young adults from normal families to swing wildly away from their parents' beliefs. I'd imagine it'd be an even more pronounce swing with families like these.

...and even if the DNA proves he is, there's a stipulation that he won't have to know and his family won't know or some crap theory.

What a little coward. He and his family can stick their fingers in their ears and scream "LALALALALALA" as loud as they can. It won't change the facts. He is not a man, and he never will be, unless he owns up to and apologizes for all the hurt he caused.

Isn't Isaiah courting? I wonder if his intended knows what an upstanding guy her man is?

I had a feeling when I read the previous blog posts that Rachel had chosen a same-sex couple. It's great that Ellie will grow up loved and know that families come in all forms. Good luck, kid, and may you have a wonderful life!

Didn't grow up ATI, but Smuggar and Mrs. Smuggar had the 2011 conferences listed on their site; the baby was likely conceived at the Sacramento, CA regional conference. Now we just have to figure out the prominent ATI families who would be there, and which ones have 21-year-old sons.

I believe the baby came a little early, so it might have been the Indianapolis conference. I wonder if Isaiah and his family are having any regrets now? Too late!

Archived