IGNORED

Bella Santorum taken to the hospital.

dawn9476

Here's a theory: Rick Santorum opposes prenatal testing because the knowledge might cause the parents to decide to terminate the pregnancy. Mrs. Santorum knew her husband's feelings, but wasn't sure if she would be able to do it. Mrs. Santorum felt, deep down inside, that if she were pregnant with a child she knew would be severely disabled she would not choose to carry the pregnancy to term. So, to avoid a possible conflict with her husband, she decided to not have prenatal testing and just prayed everything would turn out ok. Then Bella was born, and she learned she had taken the right course - if she had known Bella had trisomy 18 she wouldn't have wanted to give birth to her. By choosing to avoid prenatal testing, she avoided a moral issue she knew her family couldn't handle.

They have changed their story about the prenatal testing on Bella-first story was that they knew before she was born, on an ultrasound they found a heart defect and went for testing and found out and decided to continue with the pregnancy knowing that she would pass within a couple of days after birth. Then when he came out against prenatal testing to stop abortions, the story changed to it was a surprise when she was born. So which is it? Come clean!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I too hope for the best for little Bella.

I'm sure she can have a happy and short life. Trisomy 18 is very different from Trisomy 13 (WARNING: do not Google T-13 if you are sensitive to photos of severe deformities).

Ditto to what the folks who have commented on Rick's good health insurance have said.

There a lot of diseases that can be argued as suffering then- like Down Syndrome. I think you(general you) get into a slippery slope when you start trying to define what suffering it and if parents are being martyrs for not aborting children with these conditions. You can be mentally impaired and live a happy life. Shouldn't that be the ultimate goal for everyone no matter how long or short his or her life is, but to have a happy one?

This. And a woman should be able to decide *not* to have an abortion just as readily as she should be able to decide to *have* one, without judgement from others. It's called pro-*choice* for a reason. If you think you'd be subjecting a child to needless suffering by bringing him/her into the world, then have an abortion. And if you think that child deserves a chance at the best life possible regardless, don't. It's an individual decision, and there is no one right answer.

There a lot of diseases that can be argued as suffering then- like Down Syndrome. I think you(general you) get into a slippery slope when you start trying to define what suffering it and if parents are being martyrs for not aborting children with these conditions. You can be mentally impaired and live a happy life. Shouldn't that be the ultimate goal for everyone no matter how long or short his or her life is, but to have a happy one?

I think it's the ultimate horror to kill someone who wants to live, regardless of their condition.

If you can ask directly, so much the better, but if not, you have to judge on behavior, and yeah, plenty of non-verbal very delayed people are obviously enjoying life. Bella is quite likely among them.

But at fetus stage, no one is wanting anything, so I don't have a problem with aborting fetus that has her condition, thinking life will be short and hard or even just hard for parents to handle.

Once born and grown to the point of having desires, everything changes. I don't see a contradiction in that position.

I'm normal (genetically anyway) and as a now middle-aged woman I'm certainly wanting to live, however if my parents decided they didn't want a kid when my mom was pregnant and aborted me, I would have never known, and wouldn't be here to comment, so I do find the various "I'm happy I wasn't aborted" testimonials to be missing the point in a major way.

Otherwise we have to acknowledge, the fact that I was born is only due to my parents having sex on that particular day. If they had delayed for some reason, I would not be here, they would have some other kid. Should we mourn those potential kids? Most people say no.

But Bella was born and grown, and has desires now, I only wish the best for her.

Yes, it's very difficult to define an acceptable degree of suffering. It isn't made any easier by including people into that decision who aren't intimately involved and don't have all of the details to each specific situation. A decision of this magnitude is something that has to be left to the family and their physicians to decide.

I feel that a moral code that values pain to be suspect while apparently, you feel that it's more ethical to force someone live a short and miserable life. There's no way to rationally agree here. Legislation mandating birth at all cost goes against the vital Christian tenet that God allows for free will. Because right and wrong will always involve shades of gray, It is ultimately up to God to judge our actions in life. Are you so certain that God will look upon you kindly if you willfully chose to subject an innocent to a lifetime of pain? My understanding is that God would most certainly not. If you believe that that unborn being possess a soul, then how can you not also believe that God will welcome that innocent soul into Heaven? Among God's gifts to us is our intellect. God gave us the ability to learn and build the technology to make life better. I see things like vaccines and pre-natal screenings as things that God has given us to improve our quality of life and reduce suffering. We're supposed to make life easier for each other, not harder.

Not only am I a cynical bitch (totally think this is Ricky’s way off the campaign trail) but I’m a heartless bitch too. I hate that they have excellent insurance coverage to ensure Bella is receiving the best care offered, while so many people are lacking even basic health care coverage (and Ricky did say that if people don’t have coverage that there are lessons in suffering). Take away Bella’s health care coverage is what I say; maybe Rick should walk his talk and learn the lessons in suffering. I feel nothing for this family and their suffering. If Rick had his way he would be fine with all of us suffering in so many ways. Sorry, I don’t even have an ounce of compassion for him, Bella, or his family…there are just too many more humble and deserving people (the elderly, who worked their entire lives; soldiers that have put their lives on the line; other children and their families) that shouldn’t have to make a choice between roof over their head/food on the table OR basic health/dental care and medications.

Not only am I a cynical bitch (totally think this is Ricky’s way off the campaign trail) but I’m a heartless bitch too. I hate that they have excellent insurance coverage to ensure Bella is receiving the best care offered, while so many people are lacking even basic health care coverage (and Ricky did say that if people don’t have coverage that there are lessons in suffering). Take away Bella’s health care coverage is what I say; maybe Rick should walk his talk and learn the lessons in suffering. I feel nothing for this family and their suffering. If Rick had his way he would be fine with all of us suffering in so many ways. Sorry, I don’t even have an ounce of compassion for him, Bella, or his family…there are just too many more humble and deserving people (the elderly, who worked their entire lives; soldiers that have put their lives on the line; other children and their families) that shouldn’t have to make a choice between roof over their head/food on the table OR basic health/dental care and medications.

I'm sorry you're a heartless bitch too. May you never have something like this happen to you or yours. I don't think a child should be punished for the sins of her father's nor punished for her parent's wealth or poverty. Have you thought about seeing a mental health therapist about your lack of compassion or a priest to see if you have a soul? Can you see yourself in a mirror, do cats hiss at you everytime? I would be more worried about your missing pieces than an innocent and very ill baby that you wish to condem to death and pain.

It's not an either/or choice. You can have compassion for Bella and all of the children who suffer from a lack of health insurance. Having compassion for one does not negate the other.

I don't have any sympathy for Santorum or his wife, but I feel terrible for Bella. She's a 3 yr old child who is suffering and has no understanding of her father's political beliefs or the way her father has used her condition as a prop. I could never dismiss her suffering just because of who her parents are. She didn't choose her parents.

Yes, it's very difficult to define an acceptable degree of suffering. It isn't made any easier by including people into that decision who aren't intimately involved and don't have all of the details to each specific situation. A decision of this magnitude is something that has to be left to the family and their physicians to decide.

I feel that a moral code that values pain to be suspect while apparently, you feel that it's more ethical to force someone live a short and miserable life. There's no way to rationally agree here. Legislation mandating birth at all cost goes against the vital Christian tenet that God allows for free will. Because right and wrong will always involve shades of gray, It is ultimately up to God to judge our actions in life. Are you so certain that God will look upon you kindly if you willfully chose to subject an innocent to a lifetime of pain? My understanding is that God would most certainly not. If you believe that that unborn being possess a soul, then how can you not also believe that God will welcome that innocent soul into Heaven? Among God's gifts to us is our intellect. God gave us the ability to learn and build the technology to make life better. I see things like vaccines and pre-natal screenings as things that God has given us to improve our quality of life and reduce suffering. We're supposed to make life easier for each other, not harder.

I'm tired so hopefully I'm reading what you said right. I don't think its more ethical to force someone to "live a short miserable life" but I don't like the sense that I'm getting that people here think that parents of children who are told they have things like trisomy 18 should be aborted because they're going to "suffer" When suffering can be defined so many ways depending on who you ask. I met a boy with trisomy 18 and follow some trisomy 18 blogs-those children are smiling and happy.

Parents make whatever decision is right for them, how they feel their child's quality of life will be. I don't care if someone gets an abortion because they find out their child has a disorder that will affect their quality of life-it's none of my business. I trust parents to make the best decision for them and their child.

Now if Santorum only had Bella to push his prolife propaganda then I think thats wrong.

The rest of your statement I can't answer because I don't believe in God and don't have any nice things to say about God. Sorry.

I'm sorry you're a heartless bitch too. May you never have something like this happen to you or yours. I don't think a child should be punished for the sins of her father's nor punished for her parent's wealth or poverty. Have you thought about seeing a mental health therapist about your lack of compassion or a priest to see if you have a soul? Can you see yourself in a mirror, do cats hiss at you everytime? I would be more worried about your missing pieces than an innocent and very ill baby that you wish to condem to death and pain.

This.

I think it's the ultimate horror to kill someone who wants to live, regardless of their condition.

If you can ask directly, so much the better, but if not, you have to judge on behavior, and yeah, plenty of non-verbal very delayed people are obviously enjoying life. Bella is quite likely among them.

But at fetus stage, no one is wanting anything, so I don't have a problem with aborting fetus that has her condition, thinking life will be short and hard or even just hard for parents to handle.

Once born and grown to the point of having desires, everything changes. I don't see a contradiction in that position.

I'm normal (genetically anyway) and as a now middle-aged woman I'm certainly wanting to live, however if my parents decided they didn't want a kid when my mom was pregnant and aborted me, I would have never known, and wouldn't be here to comment, so I do find the various "I'm happy I wasn't aborted" testimonials to be missing the point in a major way.

Otherwise we have to acknowledge, the fact that I was born is only due to my parents having sex on that particular day. If they had delayed for some reason, I would not be here, they would have some other kid. Should we mourn those potential kids? Most people say no.

But Bella was born and grown, and has desires now, I only wish the best for her.

This x100! Very well put!

They have changed their story about the prenatal testing on Bella-first story was that they knew before she was born, on an ultrasound they found a heart defect and went for testing and found out and decided to continue with the pregnancy knowing that she would pass within a couple of days after birth. Then when he came out against prenatal testing to stop abortions, the story changed to it was a surprise when she was born. So which is it? Come clean!

They had prenatal testing with their prior pregnancy, which found anomalies and ultimately led to an abortion/induced labor/whatever story you believe. And then they decided not to have testing with a successive pregnancy? I don't buy it.

Whatever world of pain and constant medical intervention this girl lives in, the Santorums chose it for her. They made their choice and they need to own it.

eta: I have siblings with disabilities and I do not define a person's worth or quality of life by their abilities. But the Santorums cannot play victim of circumstance when they had the choice they want to deny others.

Karen Santorum said something in an interview that sounded odd to me, and I finally tracked it down so I could quote it:

Bella is doing great. Thank you for asking, Piers. I appreciate you asking. She is such a beautiful, sweet girl. And she's healthy. It's funny reading articles. When people would actually write about my little girl and they really aren't accurate at all what they're saying. People have said she has a terminal illness and she doesn't. She's -- her life is fragile, but Bella's doing great.

Bolded for emphasis. What the? I don't get it. When your child has a genetic problem that, so far, has invariably resulted in early death, how can you say she doesn't have a terminal illness? I understand that she wants to have hope and emphasize her child's life rather than anticipating her death, but this sounds like denial to me.

Found it here: http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1203/24/pmt.01.html

Excellent health insurance? His medical bills are up the wazoo. http://motherjones.com/mojo/2012/03/san ... ance-sucks He probably pays his own monthly premium considering that he does not work for anyone. Do you hate everyone who has the money to pay their own insurance or just him? Also, what are you doing to change the situation for people who don't have insurance besides being an arm chair quarterback? I hate arm chair quarterbacks, personally. Get off your hateful ass and help be the change.

Karen Santorum said something in an interview that sounded odd to me, and I finally tracked it down so I could quote it:

Bolded for emphasis. What the? I don't get it. When your child has a genetic problem that, so far, has invariably resulted in early death, how can you say she doesn't have a terminal illness? I understand that she wants to have hope and emphasize her child's life rather than anticipating her death, but this sounds like denial to me.

Found it here: http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1203/24/pmt.01.html

The sticking point may be the word "illness." Bella doesn't have an illness like cancer or something like that, she has a genetic condition - not something that was caught or developed. Do people call Down's an illness? Duchenne's Muscular Dystrophy? Color Blindness? I don't know, maybe Cystic Fibrosis because it produces results that make the person very ill.

So that may be her point, but she's harping on semantics rather than the spirit of the question/issue - Bella is not in good health as most people define it, nor will she ever be, and she will die at a young age because of this condition. She might be doing great compared to what is expected, but that is relative and does not mean she is healthy.

Has it ever been confirmed if she has full blown Trisomy 18 or the mosaic version? If its the latter, she does have a much better chance at survival. I'd be surprised if she doesn't have the mosaic version because it's pretty rare for full blown Trisomy 18 children to live this long, even with the best medical care in the world.

I hope she recovers but unfortunately I don't think it's likely. She has already beaten the odds by making it this far though, so maybe she'll pull through again. It sure is nice for Santorum to be able to afford the best healthcare for her though.

Paid for by taxpayers, to boot! I'm constantly amazed that he fails to acknowledge this reality.

But seriously, I hope little Bella gets better fast. Watching your kid suffer has to be the pits, and I don't wish is on anyone.

Excellent health insurance? His medical bills are up the wazoo. http://motherjones.com/mojo/2012/03/san ... ance-sucks He probably pays his own monthly premium considering that he does not work for anyone. Do you hate everyone who has the money to pay their own insurance or just him? Also, what are you doing to change the situation for people who don't have insurance besides being an arm chair quarterback? I hate arm chair quarterbacks, personally. Get off your hateful ass and help be the change.

While I don't fully agree, I think I understand what theologygeek is getting it: HYPOCRISY. Santorum does not support the kind of health coverage that you or I might need, or that our children might need. He does not support pre-natal care. He does not support the right of a woman to choose abortion. He would make our decisions for us.

Where I differ from theologygeek is on Bella's health care. I think ALL CHILDREN should receive the health care that each child needs. And again, Santorum does not support that.

I think choosing to terminate a pregnancy such as this is a very valid choice. It's don't think it's particularly noble or loving to bring a child such as this into the world.

I agree Austin.

Paid for by taxpayers, to boot! I'm constantly amazed that he fails to acknowledge this reality.

That rumor is all over the internet about the taxpayers paying for his insurance. He pays his own health insurance. "We have a child who has a pre-existing condition and we went out and we said, we like this plan," Santorum said, according to ThinkProgress. "We have to pay more because she has a pre-existing condition. Well, we should pay more. She's going to be very expensive to the insurance company and, you know, that cost is passed along to us... I'm okay with that."

Santorum's three-and-a-half-year-old daughter Isabella has a genetic disorder called Trisomy 18, a condition that often results in death within a year of birth. He recently began opening up about "Bella" on the campaign trail.

Santorum -- who said "we have a broken insurance system" -- offered up more information on his own insurance plan, noting that his candidacy forced him to purchase insurance "on the open market."

"I had insurance under my employer. And when I decided to run for president, I left my job, I lost my insurance, I had to go out and buy insurance," Santorum said."

While I don't fully agree, I think I understand what theologygeek is getting it: HYPOCRISY. Santorum does not support the kind of health coverage that you or I might need, or that our children might need. He does not support pre-natal care. He does not support the right of a woman to choose abortion. He would make our decisions for us.

Where I differ from theologygeek is on Bella's health care. I think ALL CHILDREN should receive the health care that each child needs. And again, Santorum does not support that.

I didn't say that all children should not receive healthcare. I think that healthcare is a right and not a privilege. I also support universal healthcare. I was just addressing that hateful troll who has no compassion for a sick child because she "hates that they have excellent coverage..." I can't stand Santorum either, but it has nothing to do with what type of insurance he has. BellaToes' reasoning for why she lacks compassion for a sick child is crazy.

"We have a child who has a pre-existing condition and we went out and we said, we like this plan," Santorum said, according to ThinkProgress. "We have to pay more because she has a pre-existing condition. Well, we should pay more. She's going to be very expensive to the insurance company and, you know, that cost is passed along to us... I'm okay with that."

"I had insurance under my employer. And when I decided to run for president, I left my job, I lost my insurance, I had to go out and buy insurance," Santorum said."

And the insurance he had before he so recently quit his job? Who paid for that? The plan he is talking about isn't the insurance that has kept her alive the majority of her life. And that first plan is the kind of insurance coverage he seems to think nobody should have as an inalienable right to in this country. :doh:

Unless PA is different from most states Bella would be covered whether her family had insurance or not. In most states any child with a birth defect is covered by the state. In MN kids with trisomy 18, or any other genetic condition, get the same level of care. Most go to the same group of doctors, who treat the children the same, with no regard to insurance status.

I’m a heartless bitch

Couldn't agree with you more about that. Anyone who could lack compassion for a sick 3 year old baby has got something REALLY wrong with them. What has she done to not deserve healthcare??

Archived