IGNORED

Bella Santorum taken to the hospital.

dawn9476

I don't think a child should be punished for the sins of her father's nor punished for her parent's wealth or poverty.

Well said LPL

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The sticking point may be the word "illness." Bella doesn't have an illness like cancer or something like that, she has a genetic condition - not something that was caught or developed. Do people call Down's an illness? Duchenne's Muscular Dystrophy? Color Blindness? I don't know, maybe Cystic Fibrosis because it produces results that make the person very ill.

So that may be her point, but she's harping on semantics rather than the spirit of the question/issue - Bella is not in good health as most people define it, nor will she ever be, and she will die at a young age because of this condition. She might be doing great compared to what is expected, but that is relative and does not mean she is healthy.

As someone who has a genetic disorder, I'm pleased to hear such conditions are no longer called genetic diseases....

That rumor is all over the internet about the taxpayers paying for his insurance. He pays his own health insurance. "We have a child who has a pre-existing condition and we went out and we said, we like this plan," Santorum said, according to ThinkProgress. "We have to pay more because she has a pre-existing condition. Well, we should pay more. She's going to be very expensive to the insurance company and, you know, that cost is passed along to us... I'm okay with that."

Santorum's three-and-a-half-year-old daughter Isabella has a genetic disorder called Trisomy 18, a condition that often results in death within a year of birth. He recently began opening up about "Bella" on the campaign trail.

Santorum -- who said "we have a broken insurance system" -- offered up more information on his own insurance plan, noting that his candidacy forced him to purchase insurance "on the open market."

"I had insurance under my employer. And when I decided to run for president, I left my job, I lost my insurance, I had to go out and buy insurance," Santorum said."

Yeah, but he's part of the 1%...so he has the ability to pay out the wazoo for medical insurance.

And didn't ObamaCare's reform also state that a child's pre-existing condition cannot be held against them when it comes to rates?

I believe in healthcare for all (being Canadian and all) and so Santorum's daughter should get every available treatment to her, despite what people think and her father being a prick. What her parents think/believe isn't her fault and more power to her. I only wish her Dad would see this and run with it.

He's a former Senator who should be covered under Congress' very rich medical plan. (Probably the same medical plan that paid for the heart transplant of former Representative Richard Cheney.) If he is NOT covered, he should trumpet it--why isn't he? I think there's a big stinking pile of bullshit here. I think he IS getting his Congressional benefits, even if he is having to pay out of pocket for them to be part of their group plan.

To contrast with me, there's neither love nor money that would pay for a private insurance policy for me with all my conditions. Which is why I tell people that even if I won the lottery, I'd still have to work because Blue Cross/Blue Shield isn't going to write a policy on a woman who has chronic depression, diabetes and gastric reflux. Even if all those things are under control with diet and medication (as they are).

As for poor Bella, I hope she's comfortable and not in pain.

He's a former Senator who should be covered under Congress' very rich medical plan. (Probably the same medical plan that paid for the heart transplant of former Representative Richard Cheney.) If he is NOT covered, he should trumpet it--why isn't he? I think there's a big stinking pile of bullshit here. I think he IS getting his Congressional benefits, even if he is having to pay out of pocket for them to be part of their group plan.

I also thought former members of congress have health benefits for life, same as their coverage from when they were active (once they serve 5 years)? Maybe he had to get supplemental private insurance for Bella?

Poor baby. I hope she is as comfortable as possible

That is so sad. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like there's any chance of a happy outcome, even if she survives this incident. I hope she has as comfortable a life as possible, however long it is, and that her family may have peace.

I also thought former members of congress have health benefits for life, same as their coverage from when they were active (once they serve 5 years)? Maybe he had to get supplemental private insurance for Bella?

Poor baby. I hope she is as comfortable as possible

I think that is the case. However, most insurance plans do not cover in-home care so I imagine Santorum has a sizable bill for that because he needs more childcare being a politician and all.

I hate that they are using this sweet little girl as a political ploy. I am sure she brings so much love and light to the world, but Rick probably is missing all of it while chasing his political aspirations.

It's not an either/or choice. You can have compassion for Bella and all of the children who suffer from a lack of health insurance. Having compassion for one does not negate the other.

I don't have any sympathy for Santorum or his wife, but I feel terrible for Bella. She's a 3 yr old child who is suffering and has no understanding of her father's political beliefs or the way her father has used her condition as a prop. I could never dismiss her suffering just because of who her parents are. She didn't choose her parents.

This. 100 times.

I think that is the case. However, most insurance plans do not cover in-home care so I imagine Santorum has a sizable bill for that because he needs more childcare being a politician and all.

I hate that they are using this sweet little girl as a political ploy. I am sure she brings so much love and light to the world, but Rick probably is missing all of it while chasing his political aspirations.

Just as a point of information, when frothy released his taxes he showed $100K for Bella's in home care.

Just as a point of information, when frothy released his taxes he showed $100K for Bella's in home care.

But his AGI was: $659,000, $952,000, $1.1 million and $923,000 for (2006-2010). $100k, while not chump change, doesn't make a family earning that much money have to scrimp and save. So while I feel sympathy for Bella, I'm still going to fly my BS flag high on Frothy. You can deduct the medical expenses (when over 7.5% of AGI), too, so I don't think he minded it too much.

Archived