IGNORED

Stupid me saying it can't get worse then it does.

doggie

It could go either way. I know plenty of people who have the attitude if a man wants custody, he must be an abuser

I have met peope like this too. They think something must be off about a man who has primary or full custody of the children. It can't just be that he's the more fit parent. There are children far better off in single parent homes than in a married one. This is just stupid. All these recent legislation attempts are beyond ridiculous. The personhood, sperm/egg, birth control banning, slut shaming, etc. As has been said on this board already and I agree, there has been more women degrading and hatred the past couple months than my own mother says she has seen in her lifetime. Ridiculous doesn't even fit here, I need a better word for completely off their rockers batshit crazy politicians. Are these morons really so stupid as to not realize how this will backfire on them? That's a rhetorical question, btw.

Interesting how he immediately makes the jump from women to single parenthood. Granted, most single parents are women, but his statement makes single dads invisible. Thus, he is reinforcing the idea of the need for dads and the characterization of fatherhood as being vital to development- I wonder how close he is to the Vision Forum and Courageous crowd.

What about people who lose their partner through death? Are you more likely to be an abuser because your partner died, that is just mad.

I admire single mums and dads bringing up kids for their bravery and sacrifice no matter how they came to be single. I think (especially mums) the media throws bricks at them when it should be bouquets.

Ugh. The Republican party has become a joke. When are sane Republicans going to stand up and reclaim their party?

:text-yeahthat: I wonder what they would say about widows whose husbands were killed in war, as they claim to support the military, but it's an extremely dangerous occupation.

Also, there's a difference between a single parent household and an nonmarital household. I know plenty of two parent families where the parents never married. (Among my college friends, all the married couples divorced and all the nonmarried couples are still together). I also know of households where the parents are married, but one parents lives and works in another city or is on the road much of the time, so the other parent is functionally a single parent as much as 80% of the time.

Also, there's a difference between a single parent household and an nonmarital household. I know plenty of two parent families where the parents never married. (Among my college friends, all the married couples divorced and all the nonmarried couples are still together). I also know of households where the parents are married, but one parents lives and works in another city or is on the road much of the time, so the other parent is functionally a single parent as much as 80% of the time.

Obviously, your non-married couples are an abomination to the Lord. How can the women function without the God-given authority of a headship? Without a Godly man to guide silly women they naturally begin to beat their children. Godly women under headship do not abuse their children; they train them with plumbing line to go in the way they should go.

As for the parents that live in another city or travel, at least they are married. No matter how much time they actually spend with their children, they do have the sanctity of marriage to be an umbrella of protection over them.

Duh.

Obviously, your non-married couples are an abomination to the Lord.

* Except if the couple didn't get a marriage licence in protest of the legalization of gay marriage in some states like the Pearls say to. Then it's perfectly fine. ;)

* Except if the couple didn't get a marriage licence in protest of the legalization of gay marriage in some states like the Pearls say to. Then it's perfectly fine.

Well, that's different. Those people - the Pearls - are married by GOD**!!!eleventy!!!! They are more Godly than the Godless who marry in a courthouse or other church not ordained by GOD**!!!!

**aka Michael Pearl

Funny how the same ones who want to end abortion aren't making 'choosing life' any easier.

This

Because as long as the child is allowed to be born, who cares what happens after

They don't give a rat's ass about children. Most of the kids in this country could starve and die for all these politicians care. They only care about the good Christian kids raised by people with whom they agree. Everyone else can go to hell in their opinion.

And people wonder why I've written off the Christian religion.

This just makes me so glad that I live accross the pond.

As much as we have dimwit Dave CaMORON giving tax breaks to married couples and blaming single parent families for last year's riots, we don't have anything as extreme as this.

I chose to leave my ex, for my sanity, and me and my son's safety. I wouldn't trade the hardship I have encountered since then, the loneliness that can come from having no one else to share your child's best moments with, or the trying times, or the times when your child is tucked up for the night. I wouldn't go back.

I am an educated, employed (in a steady job with good promotion prospects) woman. I work full time, even though I am disabled by chronic illness, and am considering a second job to make ends meet.

To even have it suggested that I, or anyone else (because let's face it, single parenting 1 child is not the same as single parenting 3, or more) might be abusive simply because there is not an adult penis in the house is extremely insulting.

The few people I know who have actually suffered abuse at the hands of a parent? Their parents were married. And one was covering for the other.

Where are all the people bitching about tax dollars being wasted on this garbage? Here's an idea: let's target abusive and neglectful parents for contributing to abuse and neglect, and let's leave everyone else the fuck alone.

Sometimes moms are SAVING their children by going from married to single. It takes a lot of courage to stand on two feet and leave an abusive situation and then stand up to this ridiculous criticism. I admire the single moms I work with who give it their all.

As one of them, I thank you. I divorced when my daughter was a year old because I thought it would be unhealthy for her to grow up in a home where her mentally ill, alcoholic father refused to accept the help he needed, and her mother was rapidly growing bitter and depressed. She was able to develop a healthy, loving relationship with each of us.

Regarding women who choose to become mothers on their own: I used to wonder whether it was a good idea, but then realized that a) many women are well situated, emotionally and financially, to be able to succeed at single parenthood and b) there is a relative dearth of desirable men eager to step up to the plate and become devoted husbands and fathers.

As I recently quipped to my cousin, "With my marital track record [married in college at 20; divorced twice], I should have gone to law school and then gotten artificially inseminated."

Where are all the people bitching about tax dollars being wasted on this garbage? Here's an idea: let's target abusive and neglectful parents for contributing to abuse and neglect, and let's leave everyone else the fuck alone.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I think the sane Republicans (such as my stepdad, who we think voted for Obama last time though we're not asking -- we think if he did it's due to Palin) should pick themselves up and start a whole new party and let the crazies have their own. Fuck 'em.

I think the sane Republicans (such as my stepdad, who we think voted for Obama last time though we're not asking -- we think if he did it's due to Palin) should pick themselves up and start a whole new party and let the crazies have their own. Fuck 'em.

yes the renuticans. They can have a squirrel as the animal.

Single parents are more likely to be poor and working a couple jobs to try to make ends meet, and that poorness is what is more likely to lead to neglect, and it's not always by choice. If you don't have money, you can't buy things. If you're frazzled from working 16 hours a day, you're more likely to snap because, and I'm not trying to excuse abuse, but humans can only take so much physically and mentally before they literally lose control. Those assholes are skipping over that part entirely.

Oh, and easy access to birth control would lower the number of babies born to unwed parents.

One of the best things about being a political independent is I can see that there are sane Republicans. I can see there are insane Democrats. But it seems like the insane Republicans are worse. Few people who align with one party or the other agree with all of the party's stances.

I have way too much respect for my stepdad to associate him with the crazies. I think he's one of those people that the crazies have grabbed the party from and are running as fast as they can to get away from. But I remain hopeful that that bitch was his last straw. As in our family who we vote for is our business unless we want to tell, I'm not comfortable asking.

Of course, now I live in Idaho. By choice. (You'd be amazed what the spectacular scenery can make up for!) Crazy central. If a sane Repub would run for anything here I'd consider voting for them just to keep the crazies out, 'cause it's not like any Democrats are going to be elected outside this one oddball county I live in. That isn't going to happen anytime soon...

The sad thing is, I know a single mom whose prostitue perusing ex husband is now suing for sole custody, despite YEARS of mama having custody in a separate state. His entire arguement is that because he is now remarried, his son deserves a home with both a mother and father, because his own mother by virtue of her singleness is less capable. She is an amazingly capable parent, but good old daddy is trying to make it out that because she works and is financially independant she must be neglecting her son. I think this bias is already alive and well in the courts, just we pretend it isn't. Hoe many people do you know off hand where mom had custody for years until daddy remarried and sddenly discovered he wanted to be a parent full time.

Sorry about the rant, but I can't believe this assinine bill is even being considered.

Edited to add: I know great single dads who are amazing, whether they have custody of their kids or not and this comment is not to refelct negatively on those awesome men.

Archived