IGNORED

From Another Site: What If Your Child Is Gay?

MandyLaLa

I am friends with several gay people. Unfortunately, they do not come from Leave It to Beaver Backgrounds.

After reading this, I was ready to read on about upbringing somehow "causing" them to be gay. I figured that was your argument, based on what you'd said before.

But then you wrote:

One friend is my age from a loving family other than her father who rejected her when he found out.

So the rejection was after Dad found out -- doesn't apply.

One former friend in particular is from a two parent family with six children, but he is also a pedophile and a registered sex offender. I don't think it has anything to do with him being gay (he has preyed on little boys).

Nothing said about whether his background was good, bad, happy, etc. Just a way to slip in "I'm claiming I don't think it had anything to do with his being gay, but I feel compelled to say that he is a pedophile, and he preyed on his own gender," perhaps? :shock:

How about if we just skip that one?

Others are the brother/sister pair whom I love and I am sure their parents love them but can't accept them. And a friend who died from AIDS who came from a loving family.

Three more examples of people whose upbringing seems fine to you, but who turned out gay. So that's four.

It sounds like you are convincing yourself of the possibility that the people arguing the other side of this point could be right.

If so, good! :D

FTR, I think it doesn't really matter how our sexuality is formed.

Emmie said it well:

I just want to say that I DO love you all, with your science and love and shit. I don't care if there is a biological basis; that is only truly relevant to people who view LGBT as deviance. To the rest of us, it is an interesting bit of science but completely immaterial.

My issue with the "born this way" argument is that some may interpret it to mean that being outside of the heteronormative norm is illness, somehow less wholesome and healthy, and that compassion should only be extended if you can prove it is not your fault.

I don't care how people feel sexually about whichever genders, it is such a small issue in the broad landscape of life and it is a shame that so much is made of it. People are people, they deserve love and acceptance.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Geez valsa, she just wants all of us dirty LGBTQ people to admit that the only reason we choose teh gayness is to make her feel icky.

Well, that's certainly why *I* chose it! :lol:

I just want to say that I DO love you all, with your science and love and shit. I don't care if there is a biological basis; that is only truly relevant to people who view LGBT as deviance. To the rest of us, it is an interesting bit of science but completely immaterial.

My issue with the "born this way" argument is that some may interpret it to mean that being outside of the heteronormative norm is illness, somehow less wholesome and healthy, and that compassion should only be extended if you can prove it is not your fault.

I don't care how people feel sexually about whichever genders, it is such a small issue in the broad landscape of life and it is a shame that so much is made of it. People are people, they deserve love and acceptance.

Aw, this made me feel so happy. Nail, hit right on its head!

Well, that's certainly why *I* chose it! :lol:

Can I choose to be gayer than I already am to make her feel icky :D ? If i HAD chosen to be gay, which i did not, making people like her feel icky would have been my top reason.

Can I choose to be gayer than I already am to make her feel icky :D ? If i HAD chosen to be gay, which i did not, making people like her feel icky would have been my top reason.

Wanna go make out or something and watch the fundies heads explode?

The one response I'm proud of came from a Christian woman who has lots of kiddos

"If one of my children came to me and shared that they were gay, I would choose to love them above all else. Honestly, I am not sure how that would look like right now because I cannot say how God's influence will have changed me even more by then and I would have to get over the initial shock, but I know that I would choose to love.... period."

I emailed her to thank her for "getting it" I know it may not seem like she "gets it" but for a woman who is as conservative as she is.. this is BIG. It made me happy to see that she would love them. period.

Archived