IGNORED

Anna's sister Esther - Missionary to Africa

snickerz

I didn't realize it was so expensive. I wouldn't have thought it would be since I don't picture Africa as a vacation hotspot.

Africa is a long ways away, which is part of the reason for the ticket price. And yes, parts of Africa are definitely vacation hotspots, less so for Americans because of the distance, but certainly for Europeans.

I lived in Malawi....poor Zambia.......just what they need more Missionaries with no useful skills. Now if they were doctors or nurses or something....Wait till a child of hers has malaria the first time.....

I am American and lived in South Africa, and I was embarrassed by American missionaries, especially when it seemed like they would treat the people there like idiots who had never heard of Jesus (more like their version of Christianity).

I also think, if they are going to just hand out bibles to the Zambians and talk about Gothard, they may get a polite "thank you" and then be the butt of jokes. I do hope that they have a place lined up to stay, or they may be in for a huge culture shock.

• 1 month later...

Apparently they left yesterday, and it really isn't a "mission," but more of a glorified free vacation. Esther will only be there a week, John will be there less than 3 weeks. The kids aren't going. And then the next fb message said basically "send money."

John Shrader

Dear Friends and Family, we will be leaving for our Survey trip to Zambia, Africa on Monday, April the 2nd. Esther will return April the 11th, and I will be there until the 20th. My mother and Aunt have flown up to watch the children. To all who have financially sacrificed to help us and be a blessing, please accept our deepest gratitude and thanks. As I am now unemployed and completely living by faith, just know that God used you to provide. Please pray for safety for Esther and I (and the children as they stay behind), and for God to richly bless as we take this critically important survey trip. We love you all and cannot wait to share what God will do when we return!

What...does that mean? A strong burden for the area? I don't understand :?

In this case, it's "the guy read about it and thinks he should go there."

In Doug Phillips' case, it's "He saw the clothes and thinks he should go play dress-up."

A survey trip sounds like going to prepare to move there.

I had friends who were missionaries in Lusaka. They were supported by their church's mission board and specifically there to provide theology training for local pastors already established in churches. They found Lusaka extremely expensive. They loved it, but they barely made ends me with the support from their church because of the costs of housing alone.

Apparently they left yesterday, and it really isn't a "mission," but more of a glorified free vacation. Esther will only be there a week, John will be there less than 3 weeks. The kids aren't going. And then the next fb message said basically "send money."

John Shrader

Dear Friends and Family, we will be leaving for our Survey trip to Zambia, Africa on Monday, April the 2nd. Esther will return April the 11th, and I will be there until the 20th. My mother and Aunt have flown up to watch the children. To all who have financially sacrificed to help us and be a blessing, please accept our deepest gratitude and thanks. As I am now unemployed and completely living by faith, just know that God used you to provide. Please pray for safety for Esther and I (and the children as they stay behind), and for God to richly bless as we take this critically important survey trip. We love you all and cannot wait to share what God will do when we return!

I smell food stamps

I smell food stamps

No, he's living completely by faith. :geek: If I were unemployed and living by faith I would not be going to Africa. The air fare alone could buy a lot of food!

I wonder if Anna and Smuggar will support them financially.. they aren't rich, but much more wealthier than Esther and John.

I wonder if Anna and Smuggar will support them financially.. they aren't rich, but much more wealthier than Esther and John.

Say what? Smugs has fast food to buy, he can't be supporting Anna's family. They aren't under his umbrella of BS and all.

Riffle

Archived