IGNORED

Just not "into" Elvis

rachelsmith1989

Is there anyone else on the planet who doesn't really think Elvis is a big deal? I'm not saying he's bad, I've just never liked him as much as the next person (so long as the next person isn't a huge Elvis fan).

Am I crazy or am I more of a Beatles girl (I would say that I definitely am...)?

Is there anyone else on the planet who doesn't really think Elvis is a big deal? I'm not saying he's bad, I've just never liked him as much as the next person (so long as the next person isn't a huge Elvis fan).

Am I crazy or am I more of a Beatles girl (I would say that I definitely am...)?

I kind of feel this way about the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Grateful Dead, The Who, Pink Floyd etc. I'm sure they're great bands, but I never understood the appeal. Elvis isn't my favourite singer, but I like some of his songs. I believe he's influential in pop culture. He's up there with Michael Jackson, Madonna and Marilyn Monroe.

Never liked Elvis - of course, he died when I was 6 but I still remember the hoopla. I think future generations will ask the same thing about Michael Jackson or Madonna etc. I think if I'd been a teen when he was young (and sexy and not puffy/drug addled) I would've been a fan.

He was dead before I was even born, so there's that. Plus my parents are/were kind of hippies, who were more likely to be listening to the Doors, Grateful Dead, and Jimi Hendrix. So I was never exposed to his music.

Never liked Elvis either, and never been a huge fan of his singing. Some of his songs are good, but I'd rather hear someone else sing them.

I think taste can transcend generations. Intellectually, I recognize his value, but viscerally, if I had to pick someone from his generation who did it for me, it would be Buddy Holly or Roy Orbison. Then with the British Invasion, you have the Beatles (bien sur), the Stones, the Kinks and the Who. Again, I recognize the greatness of Lennon-McCartney, but my gut responds to the Kinks and my younger sister gets all warm and gooey over Pete Townshend. Blah, blah, blah--I had too much beer, so I'm babbling

Archived