IGNORED

A good reason not to shop walmart.

doggie

Thanks for the heads up on AC's show. I probably won't be too busy with work on Friday so I'll try to remember to turn my TV on.

Cool. Be sure to give us a recap.

Cool. Be sure to give us a recap.

I'll try to if I remember to watch. Most days when I'm working out of my house, I don't like to have the TV on. But if I'm waiting for emails or calls from my bosses, I'll watch TV. Right now, I'm also waiting for a call. Yesterday, I had some downtime and I watched AC. He touches on a lot of interesting topics. Yesterday, he interviewed that guy who is giving free sperm donations to lesbian couples and straight couples with fertility problems.

I have a feeling that some fundies might get pissed if they see or hear about AC doing a a piece on purity balls.

Ugh! I didn't realize there was a purity ring ceremony scene in this movie. That sounds awful!

The one area where I submit to my husband's wishes is not to ever shop at Wal Mart. He hates the company's stand on unions, and the fact that fundies love the place. Actually I agree with him so I guess that's not submission, is it?

OMG. I actually got nauseated reading that! How creepy! Yet it's supposed to be touching? EW! No wonder the SAHDs never get married; their fathers have created this sick, unhealthy bond with them. Ew, ew, ew!

Ick.

Now I really, really want to create a book or video recreating how my parents discussed how getting pregnant too early would derail law school plans, how the 17 yr old guy that I briefly at 15 wasn't nearly as smart or ambitious as I was, explained basic safety rules for dating that included me not going to his empty apartment and recommending Wen-Do classes, and passed me information on public health clinics that would provide the best info for preventing pregnancy and STDs.

Ugh! I didn't realize there was a purity ring ceremony scene in this movie. That sounds awful!

The one area where I submit to my husband's wishes is not to ever shop at Wal Mart. He hates the company's stand on unions, and the fact that fundies love the place. Actually I agree with him so I guess that's not submission, is it?

That is not submission. I know a lot of people who don't shop at Wal-Mart because of their corporate stand on unions and other issues regarding products. Some former employees have spoken out against Wal-Mart because of different practices. My cousin who I mentioned in a previous post didn't have a lot of issues with Wal-Mart when he worked there. He said his manager and assistant manager were pretty fair and treated people well. My cousin also said he dislikes the union issues and other things the corporates do. I avoid Wal-Mart for the most part. I only go there to buy entertainment items that I sometimes find at Target or other stores.

The church and pastors behind the movies are Alex and Stephen Kendrick and their church is the Sherwood Baptist Chruch in Albany, Georgia. I also admire that they raise the funds and make the movie themselves. It is a labor of love, but the problems with the Kendricks and SBC is that they refuse to consult more experienced film professionals with acting, writing, and technical details. Their movies Flywheel and Facing the Giants had a lot of technical problems. When it comes to the writing of the movies, a lot of the dialogue is weak and unrealistic. There was a scene in Fireproof in which Kirk Cameron's character was arguing with his wife and the dialogue didn't fit the emotional aspect of the scene.

I also remember laughing when Boob made that line about Fireproof. Fundies will love most Christian movies even though the acting and writing are awful. Some mainstream Protestant churches endorse the SBC movies quite a bit. My friend goes to a UMC church that has movie nights a few times a year to show Fireproof and Facing The Giants. My friend dislikes a lot of Christian movies, but she goes once awhile because her uncle is the pastor. I will ask her if they are going to show Courageous at some point and they probably will.

Yeah, the Sherwood movies have that "Hey everybody, let's put on a show!" feel to them, and not in the good Garland/Rooney way.

As if I ever needed another reason; I worked at one for about a year and a half several years ago. At first it was okay but by the fourth manager I was being treated like crap. There's a reason they are so anti-union; they could really use one and they damn well know it! I refuse to set foot in one now and I haven't for over four years. I will sit in the car if you feel the need to go in and I am along. I've done it before.

These movies...*shudder*

Hey guess wwhat! I get to see the moie for free AGAIN! My church is showing it on the first... aarently in place of wednesday night services.

I'mma have to turn internet back on on my phone and update everyone from it... maybe I need to add the extra ten dollars a month for unlimited data to it so that I can do this.

Actually, because of that super-creepy purity ring scene you guys described, I want to watch Courageous now. Just to see how squicktastic it really is. The rest of the movie doesn't look like it's too stomach-turning though, and does look better than Fireproof (which I've never had any desire to see...)

I wish I could avoid Wal-Mart but due to circumstances I can't, and I may have to work there soon if I want any kind of job at all. It's definitely not my first choice though.

I really don't mean to derail the thread...but what's up with the walmart-hating? Admittedly I come from a large fundy family who shopped primarily at Costco and Walmart...but the stuff seems to be cheaper than Target...

hmm.... i don't know why that sign says "only at walmart" you can buy it at amazon right now. I'm going to rent it on amazon prime tomorrow night...

Anyone know where I can watch this movie online for free? There are a million sites claiming you can, but none of the ones I've found so far are actually streaming it.

As if I ever needed another reason; I worked at one for about a year and a half several years ago. At first it was okay but by the fourth manager I was being treated like crap. There's a reason they are so anti-union; they could really use one and they damn well know it! I refuse to set foot in one now and I haven't for over four years. I will sit in the car if you feel the need to go in and I am along. I've done it before.

These movies...*shudder*

I also hate the way they treat their suppliers. I don't boycott many companies but I sure do Wal-Mart and even regret spending $75 or so there 6 yrs ago. Never again.

hmm.... i don't know why that sign says "only at walmart" you can buy it at amazon right now. I'm going to rent it on amazon prime tomorrow night...

I also don't get those "only at walmart" signs. Target.com has it listed too. SBC's site and several other sites are also selling copies .

Actually, because of that super-creepy purity ring scene you guys described, I want to watch Courageous now. Just to see how squicktastic it really is. The rest of the movie doesn't look like it's too stomach-turning though, and does look better than Fireproof (which I've never had any desire to see...)

I wish I could avoid Wal-Mart but due to circumstances I can't, and I may have to work there soon if I want any kind of job at all. It's definitely not my first choice though.

I also want to watch because of the purity ring scene.

I'm somewhat of a fan of what I think are crappy movies (Friday, Showgirls, Glitter, pretty much anything on Lifetime), but I wouldn't watch this--it's crappy for all the wrong reasons.

*gasp!* How could you EVER put "Friday" in the same category as "showgirls"?! Maybe "Next Friday," but not the first one! :o

Maybe I will rent it from Redbox next weekend. My boyfriend and a few of his friends decided to have video game nights here tomorrow night and Saturday. Sunday we will be watching football.

I will also ask my friend who I mentioned before if her church is going to have a Courageous movie night at some point. She has gone to other movies to snark and I went with her a couple of years back when her church did a Facing the Giants movie night.

I should totally record the whole movie onto my camera at church and then upload it to a website so you guys can watch it for free like me lol

I should totally record the whole movie onto my camera at church and then upload it to a website so you guys can watch it for free like me lol

FMJ you're a bootlegger lol.

Out of curiosity I decided to check out the IMDB boards for Courageous and here are a couple of interesting threads

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1630036/boa ... /191924983 -This one is about the purity ring/dinner scene

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1630036/boa ... /189247450 In this thread some Christians discuss why they disliked the movie

On the Fireproof boards

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1630036/boa ... /189247450 The OP in this thread thinks Fireproof should be shown in all schools and he gets his ass handed to him

On the imbd boads there is one poster kotamundi who defends the movies like crazy because he is an SBC member and helped work on them.

I really don't mean to derail the thread...but what's up with the walmart-hating? Admittedly I come from a large fundy family who shopped primarily at Costco and Walmart...but the stuff seems to be cheaper than Target...

A couple reasons that I can think of - I'm sure there are more. Walmart has a rep for not treating its employees very well. They also tend to ruin business environment for local stores.

Archived