IGNORED

Shit Christians Say to Atheists

QAF_Rocks

I hate to say it but that's about what I expect from a Christian.

Apologies to the Christians here who are also decent people, your coreligionists are really bringing down the title.

Of course you are right. I should have expected it. I am a bit wiser these days (I may be kidding myself!).

IIRC, wasn't Jesus crucified with two thieves? How is what Jesus went through the ultimate ordeal when you could sentenced to the same thing for stealing?

That is a really novel argument! Well to me it is. I will have to use it some time..I guess you won't mind?

Also, Peter was crucified upside down, which I believe was done specifically because it was a worse death?

The UN has said that stoning is the most horrible means of execution used today, for what that's worth.

Peter was crucified upside down because the right-side-up cross was already being used as a symbol among early Christians, and the Romans just wanted to REALLY offend Christians while executing Peter. Needless to day, it evidently didn't stick around because contrary to popular belief, the upside-down cross is also a Christian symbol.

That is a really novel argument! Well to me it is. I will have to use it some time..I guess you won't mind?

Go ahead. It's just something that's always nagged at me with its lack of logic.

I use to be like those Christians on the videos, I think one of the worst things I said to an atheist was "If you don't believe in God, then what's the point of living then? your life would be one of pessimism, nihilistic cruelty and suicidal" :oops:

So Sorry my Atheist friends, so sorry. I've changed since them but I am so sorry.

It kind of worries me that it is only the fear of an arbitrary sky-man that keeps some people from committing terrible crimes.

I am a humanist; I believe in the power of the people and the ultimate goodness of humanity. I think being personally responsible for all the moral codes I adhere to makes me far more transparent than someone who derives theirs from a 2000 year old book that is still being argued over.

Sometimes the only thing that keeps me from committing crimes is that it's illegal and I can not imagine spending time locked up with the psychological conditions I suffer from. And I believe in God!

Yeah, I always used to get "If it wasn't for Christianity the world would be a horrible place" and "Everyone would be constantly committing crimes".

FFS, what is wrong with these people that if they didn't believe in God they would go on a crime rampage? I am not a believer and while I reckon everyone commits crimes now and then, all mine have been minor and generally heat of the moment. I once got tackled to the ground trying to break through three lines of police and I can honestly say God wasn't on my mind at the time ;) * but if I was thinking of killing someone, I don't need a Bible to tell me it is wrong to kill people for the lulz. And I honestly doubt "Do your best to not kill people" was an unknown concept to pagans.

It's the human condition to break laws but also the human condition to feel empathy. The Bible reflects both of those things, but I am kinda worried about anyone who needs it to make sure they don't run around on a rape and murder spree. Because most people? Don't want to in the first place.

*My Bible doesn't say anything about "confronting police in a frankly stupid fashion". This is an unfortunate omission. ;)

Archived