IGNORED

Shit Christians Say to Atheists

QAF_Rocks

I love these! I love how in the first video she tells you that 'eternity is a long time and hell is hot,' and then says something in the Bible is not supposed to be taken literally. Yep, sound like shit I've heard!

In the second video, I love the line about the banana! I also want her furry hat.

One of my favorites is, "Why not just believe, just in case? If there isn't a God, you haven't lost anything. If there is, you're covered."

I don't think people fail to grasp how insulting that is, to believers and non-believers alike.

One of my favorites is, "Why not just believe, just in case? If there isn't a God, you haven't lost anything. If there is, you're covered."

I don't think people fail to grasp how insulting that is, to believers and non-believers alike.

plus are you supposed to belive a muslum faith is the one or hindu or what?? No of course not you have to belive just like them.

I am amazed that in this day and age people are still not aware of Pascal's Wager and the fact that it has been debunked time and time again.

LOL! I got the 'you can't prove there is no God" and a self-satisfied smug smirk from my mother this past weekend. I was trying hard to keep from laughing because I know that is as far as she goes philosophically.

Sad thing was, she took my suppressed giggles for reflection and astonishment and I think she honestly believes she bested me..

Then I launched into the diatribe of how the sacrifice of 3:16 was really no sacrifice, (if God knew Jesus was coming back after 3 days then it was not really much of a sacrifice was it?) and how there is no area that God has ruled over that we have not manipulated, thereby making his need obsolete. She then told me to stop "talking like that" in her house and avoided the subject.

My neighbor made her atheist sister repeat herself when she said, "Oh God." In a moment of frustration. She acted as though her sister was somehow acknowledging god's existence.

I've heard Christians say that atheists should not accept money because it has In God We Trust written on it.

My mom has told me how sorry she feels for me, as I cannot avail myself of the comfort religion brings.

I retorted that just because something brings you comfort doesn't mean that it's true. I then told her that I felt sorry for her because she has to rely on a fairy tale for comfort. She didn't talk to me for a day or so.

I cannot avail myself of the comfort religion brings.

The comfort of knowing your children might end up suffering forever because they didn't pray the way you did... and you can't help them at all because there's no after-death reprieve if they realize they were wrong? You're supposed to just sit back and enjoy heaven while other people, good people, burn in hell?

The comfort of thinking that because of one mistake one person made however long ago, all humans are supposed to suffer (women more, naturally) and it's only because God made a loophole in the rules he made that some people get an out?

The comfort of hard wooden pews, two hours a week, and off-key singing?

Yeah, I'm really suffering for lack of it!

I love how in the first video she tells you that 'eternity is a long time and hell is hot,' and then says something in the Bible is not supposed to be taken literally.

Yeah, well, if you think it's hot in hell, just wait til you get to Texas!

My Mum said yesterday that she "prays to God nothing bad happens to [me]" (I'm having surgery next week), then stopped and said "wait, I don't believe in God. How do you express that same feeling without bringing in religion?" I suggested hope, but she said it was a stronger feeling than that. Which got me thinking, it's probably that same feeling that in part began the rise of organised religions - to have some comfort that some omnipotent being was hearing your worries and protecting you, must have been comforting in the dark ages.

I need to read more psychology of religion books.

Luckily I can still use my God-less Canadian money.

Sad that I don't feel confident enough to share this video on Facebook because coming out as an Atheist is almost as hard as coming out of any other closet.

Then I launched into the diatribe of how the sacrifice of 3:16 was really no sacrifice, (if God knew Jesus was coming back after 3 days then it was not really much of a sacrifice was it?) and how there is no area that God has ruled over that we have not manipulated, thereby making his need obsolete. She then told me to stop "talking like that" in her house and avoided the subject.

This is one of the things that really bugs me about some Christians. All about how Jesus suffered for everyone... The death described in the Bible would be an awful one, no doubt. But it was temporary, finite and, honestly, I can think of much worse ways to die. Some many Christians act like it was the worst, most horrible suffering EVER. And that's insulting to some many people who have also suffered equally, if not worse.

This is one of the things that really bugs me about some Christians. All about how Jesus suffered for everyone... The death described in the Bible would be an awful one, no doubt. But it was temporary, finite and, honestly, I can think of much worse ways to die. Some many Christians act like it was the worst, most horrible suffering EVER. And that's insulting to some many people who have also suffered equally, if not worse.

"For God so loved the world that he sent his only begotten son to have a really bad weekend for our sins" - doesn't quite have the same feel, does it.

If I could be guaranteed that in 3 days I would be just fine and dandy, I'd sacrifice myself to save the world too. Small price to pay really.

"For God so loved the world that he sent his only begotten son to have a really bad weekend for our sins" - doesn't quite have the same feel, does it.

If I could be guaranteed that in 3 days I would be just fine and dandy, I'd sacrifice myself to save the world too. Small price to pay really.

And not just "fine and dandy", but "ascended into heaven and sitteth on the right hand of god the father" forever. Considering how far people on reality shows will go to win a few thousand dollars, eternity in paradise is pretty damn compelling.

And not just "fine and dandy", but "ascended into heaven and sitteth on the right hand of god the father" forever. Considering how far people on reality shows will go to win a few thousand dollars, eternity in paradise is pretty damn compelling.

You're right. I'd be willing to have a 4 day bad weekend for that.

I hate it when people say things like, "If God doesn't exist where did morality come from?" Because morality hasn't changed dramatically according to location, time and religion.

My ex said to our 9 year old while she was visiting him over Christmas:

"If you don't believe in Jesus then I have to throw all your presents away and we'll never have Christmas again!" :evil:

IIRC, wasn't Jesus crucified with two thieves? How is what Jesus went through the ultimate ordeal when you could sentenced to the same thing for stealing?

It kind of worries me that it is only the fear of an arbitrary sky-man that keeps some people from committing terrible crimes.

I am a humanist; I believe in the power of the people and the ultimate goodness of humanity. I think being personally responsible for all the moral codes I adhere to makes me far more transparent than someone who derives theirs from a 2000 year old book that is still being argued over.

IIRC, wasn't Jesus crucified with two thieves? How is what Jesus went through the ultimate ordeal when you could sentenced to the same thing for stealing?

Also, Peter was crucified upside down, which I believe was done specifically because it was a worse death?

The UN has said that stoning is the most horrible means of execution used today, for what that's worth.

My ex said to our 9 year old while she was visiting him over Christmas:

"If you don't believe in Jesus then I have to throw all your presents away and we'll never have Christmas again!" :evil:

I hate to say it but that's about what I expect from a Christian.

Apologies to the Christians here who are also decent people, your coreligionists are really bringing down the title.

I've gotten the "but you're so nice" before and also people saying that I actually am Catholic since I was confirmed and my current beliefs as an adult apparently have nothing to do with something I pledged at fourteen.

Archived