IGNORED

fundies while shopping

Guest Sahmof5

I just remembered this incident. Walking in the men's department in the Raleigh (Memphis, the one that burned down) Wal-Mart, in about 1999. A woman in a fundie dress, baby in the cart, two or three other toddlers, and a 9ish year old boy. That boy was giving his mother WHATFOR, calling her names and telling her how awful she was for something; and she was meekly pushing the cart, taking it.

I remember being so torn about what to do. Obviously the boy was parroting his father, and his father was a mean son of a bitch. I can't remember what he said anymore, but it was the kind of thing you hear mean men say to their "wimmin" in old movies. I'm sure tolerating that shit was falling under wifely submission for her, and I was totally flummoxed. I didn't interfere but I've always wished I had. I'm sad that that boy is now a grown man, maybe having his own wife to abuse by now. :(

I have a brother who is 6, and I am asked all the time if he's my kid when I am watching him... even though I LOOK about 15, and he calls me by my first name. One time I said we were going to Wal-Mart so I could give him to "Mama" and someone still told me my son was soooooo cute lol

What is the most amusing is the few people who have come to the conclusion that I have cheated on my husband, gotten pg and he never noticed that the brown skinned kids didn't come from his pale, Irish loins. Those are the people that strike up the "So...are they all YOURS?" convo with my husband, always with a pointed look. We have had some serious fun at those people's expense :)

ohh tell me! love snappy comebacks!

I had an uneventful fundie sighting today. I was at Costco, and I saw man pushing a cart who had a button up shirt, worn khakis, and black tennis shoes. The shoes really stood out to me. Next, I saw a boy who must have been about 8, dressed the same way. Then, I saw the mom and at least 6 girls, from maybe age 12 down to a baby, all wearing long dresses or skirts and tennis shoes.

The thing I noticed is that everyone in the family looked *so tired*. It just made me sad.

I asked my husband if he'd noticed them, and he said, "Yeah. There were a LOT of kids," which is funny since we have 4 kids, and people comment about our four being SO many.

I hate these stupid "I saw a fundie" posts. Big deal, you saw someone in a denim skirt and with long hair. Maybe she's a crunchy liberal who never cracked open a KJV in her life. Unless there was something truly remarkable in the encounter you don't need to come here and post about it.

Go about your day.

Far too many fundies in my area for me to note when and where I saw them and in what context. Some of the more memorable ones are worthy of a comment.

Well, in my city neighborhood you see conservative believers regularly... but if they're Christian (& most of them aren't), they're usually Greek Orthodox. A conservative evangelical in a frumper would be quite noteworthy! :)

I hate these stupid "I saw a fundie" posts. Big deal, you saw someone in a denim skirt and with long hair. Maybe she's a crunchy liberal who never cracked open a KJV in her life. Unless there was something truly remarkable in the encounter you don't need to come here and post about it.

Go about your day.

If it's that big a deal to you, skip over them. No one is forcing you to read them. Anyways in some areas of the country fundies are a rare site. I'm assuming you post on here because you have some level of interest in fundies, so how could you not come to this website and not expect to read about others fundie sightings?

I think too, most people can tell between a crunchy and a fundie...especially when there are multiple children and all of the daughters are dresses the same as mom and have covered hair.

I have a friend who was shopping with her mother, her boyfriend, and her little brother (under one at the time) one day back when she was in high school. Her mother wanted to run into a little antique store really fast and asked my friend if she and her boyfriend would wait out front with the little brother so she didn't have to take the stroller inside and potentially break something. While they were sitting there, a middle-aged lady came up to them and started yelling at them and condemning them for having pre-marital sex and a baby out of wedlock. My friend told the woman that the infant was her little brother, not her son. The idiot didn't even have the class to apologize for jumping to conclusions. She just said, "Oh.", turned around, and walked away. I hate people who think they're better than everyone else.

Go about your day.

You know how I knew that last fundie I ran into was a fundie and not a crunchy liberal? She was a bitch who wouldn't let her little boy, Ezekial, play with my little boy at the park. It took her one look at my tats, v-necked T, no wedding ring (I don't wear it), and fake-ass looking red hair to turn to her little boy and say "Let's play over here, alone."

You know how I knew that last fundie I ran into was a fundie and not a crunchy liberal? She was a bitch who wouldn't let her little boy, Ezekial, play with my little boy at the park. It took her one look at my tats, v-necked T, no wedding ring (I don't wear it), and fake-ass looking red hair to turn to her little boy and say "Let's play over here, alone."

Maybe you smelled.

Kidding. I mean the posts (and not even, necessarily, the OP, although I'm kinda with those who thought it was a load of horseshit) whose only purpose is to state that they saw a big family in Walmart and OMG they all had long hair and weren't smiling, they must all be under their dad's thumb!

I'm assuming you post on here because you have some level of interest in fundies, so how could you not come to this website and not expect to read about others fundie sightings?

I'm interested in snark, being mean, and calling all kinds of people out on all kinds of stupid shit.

I'm interested in snark, being mean, and calling all kinds of people out on all kinds of stupid shit.

:roll:

I'm a n00B, so I must have missed the memo that we should all be considerate of you when discussing our experiences as you might not care. I did not realize the world revived around you and we 100% deserve your bitchy comments.

That.

I've seen a lot of conservatively dressed people and I am usually in jeans and a shirt or sweater, like most people are around here. Can't say I've ever seen any following someone nor have I heard any say anything to anyone. Strange. The ones I met didn't say a word about my clothing choices. Maybe they were thinking things. There are always jerks though who will find something to comment on about you. I've had rude comments said to me before too about my appearance, but not by fundies oddly enough. Usually just some bitches who ought to keep their mouths shut. Ignore people like that. Often they are insecure themselves and take that out on others-pot meet kettle.

ohh tell me! love snappy comebacks!

I don't know about snappy, but my husband usually says something about how much like him they look, or they have his grandmother's eyes, or don't you think he/she has my nose? It usually ends with us walking away laughing and the rude person standing there looking confused. I should point out it's not always been a stereotypical FJ fundie that says such things, but then where I live I think the majority tend toward fundiness, even if they aren't QF frumper wearers. I'd love to live somewhere that lead me to believe these stories or fundies actually condemning total strangers in public is rare, or non-existent. It's not, they are some of the rudest, nosiest, most hateful people I've ever encountered.

One of my favorite stories involves a fundy woman of the Holiness persuasion and my then 3.5 year old son. He was going through a boobies-are-fascinating phase and was also just learning about people being different colors. We had a baby who was sickly, but I had to make a run to the grocery store, so I took baby into the store in the carseat and draped blankets over the top to keep nosey people and germs out. The baby started crying as I was checking out. I was standing at the opposite end of the cart from the baby while paying, and my son was standing in the basket. The Holiness lady was standing near the baby and she picked up the blanket as she sweetly asked my son "Is this your baby?" She sees the baby is black, drops the blanket and gives me a death stare (I'm white, btw). She is suddenly not at all interested in the crying baby she was just going to coo at. My son is oblivious and enthusiastically answered her question with "Yes, it's my baby! Her mommy is white and her daddy is black and Baby's boobies are brown!" I thought the lady was going to faint. She managed to stammer "Well....that happens sometimes..." and then she turned around and backed out of the line and went to another check-out :dance:

Edited for clarity.

Maybe you smelled.

Kidding. I mean the posts (and not even, necessarily, the OP, although I'm kinda with those who thought it was a load of horseshit) whose only purpose is to state that they saw a big family in Walmart and OMG they all had long hair and weren't smiling, they must all be under their dad's thumb!

Haha, I'm pretty sure that I used deoderant that day! Ok, I get that. I had thought about posting my "run in with a meanie fundie" when it happened, but it seemed a little whiny to me "meanie wouldn't let her kid play with my super cool kid. I'm being persecuted!"....it seemed a little fundie-ish on my part! haha

I like the threads about fundie-sightings, as I can live vicariously! I live in an area with very few fundies, so seeing anyone in a long skirt and covered hair is a pretty major event. I think the only ones like that around here are Exclusive Brethren and they keep to themselves pretty much, so even that's rare.

I had thought about posting my "run in with a meanie fundie" when it happened, but it seemed a little whiny to me "meanie wouldn't let her kid play with my super cool kid. I'm being persecuted!"....it seemed a little fundie-ish on my part! haha

Nah, as long as you titled it "Bitch in the park" and posted it in Chatter...

;) :P

Anyway, cheers for having a sense of humor.

I must have crazy eyes because no one has ever said anything remotely like this to me when I've had multiple children in my care.

:roll:

I'm a n00B, so I must have missed the memo that we should all be considerate of you when discussing our experiences as you might not care. I did not realize the world revived around you and we 100% deserve your bitchy comments.

totally. I live in inner-city Sydney and never see fundies. also there aren't many in Oz. i find these sightings interesting. if it didnt i wouldnt click on the link that says fundies while shopping. wow i just solved your problem LilMissMetaphor!!!

Simple.

Nah, as long as you titled it "Bitch in the park" and posted it in Chatter...

;) :P

Anyway, cheers for having a sense of humor.

Well, damn that would have been a great tittle! I always try to have a sense of humor about that kind of stuff, I know that I don't look like most moms, and some conservative people of any religion around here have a problem with it (I get dirty looks and snide comments while grocery shopping or whatever....it's just a few tats and some manic panic dye, but whatever!)

Archived