IGNORED

What Is The Parental Rights Amendment?

debrand

Oh FFS.

1. Should the US ever get off its ass and ratify rights of the child, it can make reservations and interpretive decelerations. If swatting is such a fundamental aspect of American childhood, no problem. It just says - we're out on this one.

2. The UN has more than 16 members. I promise. UNCIEF too. (headdesk)

and

3., or why the US is different. The US in a funny spot - many nations, once they ratify a treaty, have to then transform it into domestic legislation. So the executive signs int law treaty; then any appropriate domestic leg has to go through the appropriate mechanisms to be made into law (eg UK, AU, NZ etc has to pass both houses of parliament in bill form). While the international community can hold a state accountable for failing to transform, in most cases (and Rights O Da Kids is an excellent example) there wouldn't be an entity able to bring a claim. There isn't a dispute resolution mechanism.

Because the US has to pass treaties though both houses of gov, once they do it immediately becomes domestic legislation. Now, much of this can be worked around with reservations etc... but I think this is the main hiccup to ratification: most other states have nothing like the RofC in their domestic leg and no problems. The US much less able to cavalierly ignore their treaty obs.

(note: any one want to correct that 2nd past para, please do. I'm unclear of the actual automatic transformation mechanism, just that it supposedly takes place. i'm kinda rusty on the topic)

Honestly; while the fundie response to this is just silly, quite simply because there are no teeth; no enforcement mechanisms; nothing.. the US is at least being.. well, more honest than many other states that just sign then don't give a rat ass. It's not often I want to praise the American state for integrity, but in this instance: yeah. They're sticking to their guns, and not signing an unenforceable doc for good international pr, which they could with no international consequences.*

*there would be domestic consequences.

UGH. Who rallies together to retain the 'right' (right, what right?) to intentionally cause their kids physical pain?

Enough already. Give it up.

AnnoDomini wrote:

Who films their disabled and neglected sister scooting on a filthy floor in nothing but a dirty diaper and a shirt, posts that on the internet to strangers only in an attempt to gain sympathy and attention from said strangers?

Oh, yeah.

You.

:banana-rock:

Some other things I suspect fundies would flip out about:

Article 12: The right to have an opinion. Because fundie children are only allowed to think and say what their parents and church tells them to think and say.

Article 14: The right to choose a religion (even those the linked poster mentions that parents should help).

Article 17: The right to information. Fundie children are kept in the dark as much as possible.

Article 23: Rights to special education and care if disabled. Many fundies don't want medical treatment for their disabled kids, preferring to rely on God.

Article 28: Quality education, to the highest level you are capable of. If they are taught to think, fundie children may realize their parents are wrong. Also, they would see it as a waste for girls.

Article 29: Developing your talents and abilities. In fundie eyes, girls have no talents except having babies and keeping house.

Just an FYI -- You do not need a social security number to enroll a child in school in many areas. Or a birth certificate. If you live in an area with a large undocumented immigrant population it is not going to be remotely practical to require these. While a school district is going to prefer a birth certificate .. there are other documents that can be used if one is not available. I don't see why people who don't have birth certificates or social security cards for other personal reasons wouldn't be able to use these same ways of not providing a birth certificate or social. Although probably most people who avoid social security cards/ birth certificates by choice likely also avoid public schools.

The trouble often comes later ( for undocumented kids ) .. when they try to get a job or need documents for other adult reasons. Then they are really screwed. They don't have a way to remedy this, but I would imagine it is tough for folks whose parents didn't get the documents for other reasons as well.

Wow, I didn't even know you could not have a birth certificate! I have learned a lot from paranoid fundies. How can you survive without a birth certificate or SSN... I didn't even know it was legal until Candy came about. Why are these things not required? How can these kids get jobs or get on a plane or any of those things without them?

Just an FYI -- You do not need a social security number to enroll a child in school in many areas. Or a birth certificate. If you live in an area with a large undocumented immigrant population it is not going to be remotely practical to require these. While a school district is going to prefer a birth certificate .. there are other documents that can be used if one is not available. I don't see why people who don't have birth certificates or social security cards for other personal reasons wouldn't be able to use these same ways of not providing a birth certificate or social. Although probably most people who avoid social security cards/ birth certificates by choice likely also avoid public schools.

The trouble often comes later ( for undocumented kids ) .. when they try to get a job or need documents for other adult reasons. Then they are really screwed. They don't have a way to remedy this, but I would imagine it is tough for folks whose parents didn't get the documents for other reasons as well.

I don't know about the birth certificate, but I had a friend in college who's parents were a strange mix of hippy and fundy-lite who didn't have a SSN, they wanted her to make the decision because while you can always get a SSN you can't get rid of one. She was in college and worked for the swim club that practiced at our pool and got paid by check (meaning not under the table.) She couldn't get a permanent drivers license or a proper bank account though.

Some other things I suspect fundies would flip out about:

Article 12: The right to have an opinion. Because fundie children are only allowed to think and say what their parents and church tells them to think and say.

Article 14: The right to choose a religion (even those the linked poster mentions that parents should help).

Article 17: The right to information. Fundie children are kept in the dark as much as possible.

Article 23: Rights to special education and care if disabled. Many fundies don't want medical treatment for their disabled kids, preferring to rely on God.

Article 28: Quality education, to the highest level you are capable of. If they are taught to think, fundie children may realize their parents are wrong. Also, they would see it as a waste for girls.

Article 29: Developing your talents and abilities. In fundie eyes, girls have no talents except having babies and keeping house.

Kids allowed to choose their own religion instead of automatically sharing their parents' beliefs? THE HORRORS!

If they had the right to information, they might find out things like the Pill doesn't actually cause abortions, and non-fundies aren't miserable human beings!

Special education might require the godly parents to submit or otherwise involve themselves in teh ebil government and they can't have that!

Who needs quality education, especially girls? They'll just grow up to be mothers who stay at home doncha know, they don't need education, especially since a girl educated beyond her intelligence is just a divorce waiting to happen!

Girls may have talents beyond having babies, keeping house and 'useful' pursuits like knitting or sewing, but they must come secondary to their highest calling--motherhood.

Archived