IGNORED

What Is The Parental Rights Amendment?

debrand

http://www.causes.com/causes/234551-sup ... ment/about

What is this amendment about?

It is imperative that we contact our House Representatives and tell them to please support and become a sponsor of the Parental Rights Amendment. We have to contact our Senators and tell them to oppose the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child in order to protect parental rights. The rights of the parents will be removed if the UNCRC becomes ratified by the Congress and will supersede the US Constitution. We have to act now and get the word out to protect our children. Please visit www.parentalrights.org to learn more.

1. The UN doesn't think parents are best qualified to make decisions for their children and that they need the government and UN to do so.

2. The rights of parents are on the verge of being taken away in our country, only to be handed to the government and 16 members of the UN in Switzerland

3. To stop this, the Parental Rights Amendment must be ratified by Congress so the UNCRC will be stopped from coming to America

4. Visit www.parentalrights.org to sign the petition, learn more about this threat and to find out how you can help

5. www.congress.org. Call/Email House Rep to support Amendment and Tell your Senators that you OPPOSE the UNCRC and want them to protect parental rights

It's a knee-jerk reaction to the belief that the GOVERNMENT WILL TAKE YOUR KIDS AWAY JUST BECAUSE THEY WANT TO.

Basically, it's a whole bunch of stupid people and abusive/neglectful parents who want total control over their kids, screw any doctor, teacher, counselor, etc. who finds signs of abuse.

It will not supercede the Constitution, at any rate.

The UN has a statement on the rights of children, including such rights as the right to a name, the right to an education, and I think the right not to be beaten to a bloody pulp for insufficient gratitude.

Obviously, this infringes on parental rights just DREADFULLY.

(Which is why the US hasn't ratified it.)

Thanks. I was trying to understand why we need another amendment.

It amazes me that anyone could be against protecting kids. Conuly, do some kids not have names?

Thanks. I was trying to understand why we need another amendment.

It amazes me that anyone could be against protecting kids. Conuly, do some kids not have names?

The one about having the right to a name goes on to talk about that name being recognized by the government, etc. This might mean women who have a home birth are still required to obtain a birth certificate? In North America not a problem, but I don't know how poverty might effect a woman's ability to do that in a majority world country.

Just looking at it again briefly, I suspect Article #37 (saying you have the right not to be disciplined in a cruel or harmful way) is the one that anyone looking "To Train Up a Child" would be up in arms over.

Just looking at it again briefly, I suspect Article #37 (saying you have the right not to be disciplined in a cruel or harmful way) is the one that anyone looking "To Train Up a Child" would be up in arms over.

Hmmm, I don't know. I don't think any of the Pearlites think their abusive shit is harmful or cruel.

The one about having the right to a name goes on to talk about that name being recognized by the government, etc. This might mean women who have a home birth are still required to obtain a birth certificate? In North America not a problem, but I don't know how poverty might effect a woman's ability to do that in a majority world country.

On 7xSunday, there was a thread about a woman that didn't want to get her children a birth certificate because she was afraid of the government. Considering how a lack of a birth certificate can damage a child's future and ability to flee an abusive situation, I support enactment of any laws to require American parents to apply and get a certificate for their child.

Wasn't the lack of birth certificates part the difficulty in dealing with the FLDS?

I have no idea, but it's the part of the statement that I recall easily.

The spanking is the real issue. The UN thing takes away the option of physical punishment. If I recall correctly, the parents also cannot unfairly restrict the child's movement and activities or require them to practice any given religion.

I support the UN movement. I think it's a movement in the right direction.

This thing gets lots of play with HSLDA too because even among those who don't favor corporal punishment, there are fears that without PRA, the ability to legally homeschool will be in danger.

On 7xSunday, there was a thread about a woman that didn't want to get her children a birth certificate because she was afraid of the government. Considering how a lack of a birth certificate can damage a child's future and ability to flee an abusive situation, I support enactment of any laws to require American parents to apply and get a certificate for their child.

Wasn't the lack of birth certificates part the difficulty in dealing with the FLDS?

Wow, I didn't even know you could not have a birth certificate! I have learned a lot from paranoid fundies. How can you survive without a birth certificate or SSN... I didn't even know it was legal until Candy came about. Why are these things not required? How can these kids get jobs or get on a plane or any of those things without them?

Wow, I didn't even know you could not have a birth certificate! I have learned a lot from paranoid fundies. How can you survive without a birth certificate or SSN... I didn't even know it was legal until Candy came about. Why are these things not required? How can these kids get jobs or get on a plane or any of those things without them?

In Max Pauson's case, he did have a birth certificate, just not one with a legal name on it. If you don't have a birth certificate or SSN, you have no chance of even being enrolled in school, so your only option is homeschool. after homeschool, you can't find a job, and if you do it'll probably be under the table. Fundies are not known for thinking of their kids' futures.

The UN Rights of the Child treaty (the one that the Parental Rights Amendment is trying to prevent) keeps parents from doing all the douchey things that we talk about here. Parents in countries that sign the treaty will have to treat their children in a way that does not violate their human rights. The only way that a parent's rights will be infringed upon is if their perceived rights are at odds with those of their children.

Children deserve a name and an education, and they should be afforded freedom of choice within age-appropriate parameters and freedom of religion. That is basically what the UN is trying to guarantee to every child on the planet. Anyone who is against that is completely out of line.

Actually, I think the right to a name comes more from the practice in India of naming female offspring, "Nakushi" which means "unwanted".

Does anyone know if the Wilkinsons with the kids with the insane names had birth certificates for them? I know they were very anti vax, anti government, off the grid kind of people. I bet it's something they would consider eeebil.

Look around, obviously parents are not always best qualified! Not just in the US, there are many places in the world where children are not being treated properly.

Actually, I think the right to a name comes more from the practice in India of naming female offspring, "Nakushi" which means "unwanted".

This! There's been massive renaming ceremonies where women and girls can choose their own names.

Thank you, holierthanyou, for that link!

I have to say that I *like* those rights, and I think they should be posted in schools, doctors offices and other places where little ones will have easy access!

I am positively flummoxed that people in the US are fighting this! Oh wait, no, no I'm not, sadly.

I think there needs to be SOME kind of parental rights amendment... but what I have in mind is probably not anything like this one. Stuff like.. you have the right to do what is best for your kid when a government institution or person threaten their health and well being...(Think Jerry Sandusky)..... you have the right to not be abused ..(I know moms who's teenagers have beaten on them.. particularly boys who have watched dad do it..) . you are not charged if your older children get caught doing stuff because you can't really control them once they get to be 15 or 16... (this county is famous for incarcerating kids and sending the PARENTS the bill.. for stuff like curfew violations or smoking pot......stuff like that. I have a feeling though this bill demands the right to beat em with a belt and chain em to their beds...

AnnoDomini wrote:

UGH. Who rallies together to retain the 'right' (right, what right?) to intentionally cause their kids physical pain?

Who films their disabled and neglected sister scooting on a filthy floor in nothing but a dirty diaper and a shirt, posts that on the internet to strangers only in an attempt to gain sympathy and attention from said strangers?

Oh, yeah.

You.

Archived