IGNORED

I am new to these people.....what are they? - Alte

gingernut

I saw that there was a thread about this person named Alte. I read the thread and went over to her wordpress...Traditional Catholicism...and starting to choke and gasp and spit. Other than adoptive Mom Emma whats her name who got the kids from Haiti and treated them worse than puppies this woman takes the cake for me. Is she serious? Any of you follow her regularly? I mean, they have a link to a complimentary site about marriage that has a goal of "upholding dominance and submission in everything". Back to the Traditional Catholic wordpress, she and her commentors are talking dirty to each other and even Alte herself seems to enjoy being a dumb sex toy for her husband and eagerly checks her brains at his door. I don't get it. She is even worse than most fundie women I have bumped into. So does she HATE women? Anybody who can help me try to wrap my head around this and understand why she would have such a large following please explain to me....I am sick to my stomach.

i haven't read all of it, but I've gotten through enough of Alte's first response to Jane to recognize the type:

Mommy-haters.

I used to participate on a Christian women's message board when I was trying out the idea of becoming sweet&submissive to help my troubled marriage. They were discussing - ragging on - feminism. I said I was a Christian and a feminist. The leader of the gruop obliquely responded by saying, "We've all agreed there is no such thing as a Christian feminist."

She went on to describe how her mother, a WOHM, had neglected her and how her mother's overtures to her children were entirely unwelcome and sometimes rebuffed by the children, with her approval and encouragement.

She said there was NO REASON for a mother to work outside the home. I guilelessly told the story of my aunt, widowed with two preschoolers, and how she WOHM and how the boys grew into fine men, one a military academy grad adn attorney, one a minister of the Gospel.

She responded that my grandparents were to blame for not having insisted that my aunt and cousins move in with them and ... I guess, starve alongside them, as they were already living on a tiny pension.

I responded that she could revile me all she liked, but when she started to sully the names of my deceased grandparents, she'd gone too far.

She never apologized. Nobody in the group stood up for me on the board, though 3 or 4 wrote me privately and said they agreed and that the woman was being unreasonable.

They feared her.

She hated her mom. She adored her grandmother, who had been a SAHM and was everything she wanted to be: best cooky-baker, always there with a band-aid for an ouchie, etc. Which was fine.

But boy howdy, that woman hated her mom.

Alte could be that woman! I don't recall if she were Roman Catholic or not but the venom sure is familiar.

That's all I know.

I hope this reply is appropriate here. As noted in another thread I'm a life long Catholic, a pretty devout one at that, but even I was startled at a sub-culture that is a part of my religion that I had no idea about (at on point in my life). That's the group that I would place Alte and any other's that call themselves "traditional" Catholics. I really liken them to fundies in so many ways. My very first run in was about twenty five years ago with an organized group that basically wanted to shut down the U.S. Bishops efforts to write a paper on Mary's role and women's role/s in the modern Church. Wow, it was an eye opening experience.

These people came in with the same type of intimidating methods mentioned in

so many other threads to manipulate their way. I was astounded! First a couple, in an attempt to throw off the discussion, began to complain about women's dress at Mass and how her hubby was lusting at Mass earlier that day because some woman wore a sundress! They had to leave because that "harlot" wore a sundress to Mass. My response, well your hubby needs to learn self discipline and not blame his problems on others. They didn't like that, so their next response was, "Communion is just like Prince Charles and Princess Di coming for dinner, wouldn't you like to be dressed nicely?" WTF????? I won't even get into all the responses that crazy question accrued. So once they realized their tact wasn't working, the gentleman threatened that he was taping the discussion to send to the Vatican and we would all be excommunicated. I simply smiled and told him to please spell my name correctly. He didn't like that and got up and went into another room to argue with someone else.

Sadly a few years ago, I was in the grocery store and ran into a former student who was pregnant. Well, that wasn't the sad part. She had four kids already, and that's a wonderful thing! I also come from a large family, so I think, the more the merrier. Unfortunately, she began yammering about how she and her husband were going to have as many soldiers for Christ as possible to help take over the world. That it was the only way to make sure the US was going to become a Godly country again. I just blinked. At first I thought she was joking and then I understood that she was being upfront and honest. I was once more stunned. I remember thinking, when did people get kooky?

I guess I'd always known of one or two people who expressed what I thought of as "outlandish" ideas, but I never really thought there were a significant make up of people in the Catholic Church to give the side eye to. Unfortunately there are! Oh, by outlandish, I mean, like the former religion teacher who on hearing one of her students state she was an atheist, had a hissy fit in the middle of the class room and dragged the student to the principle's office and demanded that said student be expelled on the spot. Needless to say, that teacher was released at the end of the school year (thank goodness).

Oh I agree, she's a "Mommy Hater". She fits in that group that says "I'm doing it the right way, everyone else is wrong and if you're not doing it my way your life is oh so miserable, unlike mine that is so fulfilled".

That Alte would make such general statements about ALL women who work just made me shake my head. She is a woman with issues! Yes, I know, that's an understatement!

Thank you for your replies....this woman made me sad and sick....I haven't personally run across much like this and don't understand it.

Archived