IGNORED

Who Has the Biggest Bling in Fundy-dom???

grace_less

Fundy weddings are notorious for their modest dresses, awkward first kisses, frumpy guests and lack of booze/dancing, but which blushing bride has the biggest rock on her hands?

From the maxwell-ian photography shoots, it seems as though the virgin brides are presented with a mere chip of a diamond but I suspect that one of two of the better off fundies or VF royalty daughters might be sporting a rock close to 1 carat.

Question: Which sister-in-christ has the biggest bling in fundy-dom?

That is a good question, but I don't know the answer. Almost every fundie engagement ring I can recall seeing has a very small diamond and no additional diamonds or ornamentation on the band.

It's hard to imagine Elizabeth Botkin settling for a 0.25-carat solitaire, but it's also hard to imagine G. Bot allowing her to get married...

If I remember correctly, Anna Duggar's ring is pretty gaudy with a diamond in the center and 4 little diamonds on either side of it, set into the band.

(not the one he gives her when they get engaged)

Something tells me Anna has a CZ - and a used one at that. Buy used and save the difference!

LOL, probably true. I can't see Josh dropping much money on a ring.

For people who shun money and opulence, they go out of their way to emphasize engagement rings.

I'd prefer no diamond and a real man who doesn't need material things to validate his love and commitment.

More fundie weddings focus on the rings than any I've ever seen. No matter how big or small.

For people who shun money and opulence, they go out of their way to emphasize engagement rings.

I'd prefer no diamond and a real man who doesn't need material things to validate his love and commitment.

More fundie weddings focus on the rings than any I've ever seen. No matter how big or small.

+1.

Plain gold bands for Mr. M.t.L. and me, and a wedding in court with two witnesses. The marriage is lots more important than the wedding - and lasts much longer. :romance-heartbeating:

Yep, we have plain white gold (I prefer a silver-y color to gold) matching bands. My engagement ring is a green sapphire with a ruby on each side. I didn't even want one but C insisted. He was more excited about going shopping for an engagement ring than I was. ;)

I've seen some rings that would make me upset to receive! Knowing my fiance had spent that much for decoration, and having to walk around with thousands of dollars hanging out on my hand... no thank you! I have a small solitaire in white gold, and we both have plain gold wedding bands.

I'd prefer white gold. I'm not a fan of diamond, and when I finally get a ring, it's going to be sapphire with white gold. Make it easy on my boyfriend.

Those big, gaudy, giant-sized diamonds are unappealing to me.

I don't like large rings either I told my husband that I specifically wanted a small diamond because I have small hands and a large diamond would look gaudy. I have a 1/2 carat solitaire that is white gold and a simple white gold band.

Diamonds are irrelevant because they were made in only 50k years (isnt that what the boob said in the episode when they went to look for diamonds?)

I think lyndsie does have a big glimmering ring - which I'm sure is diamonique or something of the sort!

If I remember correctly, Melanie Maxwell received 1/2 carat. Does anybody know what Anna received? Chris certainly had long enough to save up for it! :lol: Or perhaps, it was the one he purchased for financee #1. :twisted:

If I remember correctly, Anna Duggar's ring is pretty gaudy with a diamond in the center and 4 little diamonds on either side of it, set into the band.

(not the one he gives her when they get engaged)

Something tells me Anna has a CZ - and a used one at that. Buy used and save the difference!

But don't forget it is half a carat! Or should that be carrot? :think:

Diamonds are irrelevant because they were made in only 50k years (isnt that what the boob said in the episode when they went to look for diamonds?)

No, no no. Jimboob said the world was only 5,000 years old, so the diamonds can only be at most 5,000 years old.

my engagment ring has a tiny sapphire in titanium tension setting. I don't wear it, because with my band (titanium band where the blue inlay has fallen out) it felt too weird/big.

My husband lost his ring, and is currently sporting a $2 hematite ring we found at a renn faire. We bought 4. He's lost one already! I don't really get engagement rings all that much, for me, the band is much more important -- which is why we are saving for new ones, and I like simplicity more than anything else in jewelry. I really don't get popular culture with engagement rings. I've had friends who liked their ring, but see a bigger diamond, and demand one that size. I just don't get it.

Lyndsie has a 1ct-ish princess cut solitaire. Princess cuts face up smaller because the weight of the stone is in the depth. So for it to look huge means it probably is in the 1 carat range. I noticed in her more recent pics, she is sporting a new? diamond band with it instead of her usual plain band. I think she got a "push present", or the adoption equivalent.

I think next up was Rebecca Loomis. I think her solitaire is also in the upper range (.75, bare minimum IMO).

Lise, Cleve's intended, appears to have at least 1ct on her finger. I believe her diamond is a pear? or oval?...either way, those face up larger so it could be in the .75 range.

Next would be Tiffany McD Hector, her solitaire also looks pretty weighty. I would guess in the half to 3/4 range.

Anna D has a typical small carat weight bridal set. Her center stone is probably .25 and the total carat weight for both rings is maybe 1 ct.

Perhaps the Maxwell's have discovered moissanite? Definite cost savings there (and they are so pretty now, not like the nasty yellow stones sold 10 years ago).

I'm a jewelry addict, but more stress on the design and not necessarily reflecting what I actually own. Most days I wear a 2mm white gold band!

I'd prefer white gold. I'm not a fan of diamond, and when I finally get a ring, it's going to be sapphire with white gold. Make it easy on my boyfriend.

Those big, gaudy, giant-sized diamonds are unappealing to me.

I love gemstone engagement rings. Just to warn you though (you probably already know this), some gemstones can cost 3x more than diamonds. Unheated sapphires are one of them.

I usually notice that the rings/diamonds tend to be rather modest.

I am not a "diamond ring person". A coloured gemstone on the other hand....:dance:

I have a blue sapphire (about equivalent in size of a 2-carat diamond) set in a rather simple white gold setting with small diamonds scattered in the band (with a matching band). It is not flashy, but tends to get lots of compliments I think as it is different from the norm. It was all custom designed AFTER we were married when we had a little more money (I had no engagement ring by choice, and my wedding ring was rather simple). Blue sapphires have a bit of a history in my family.

I am so not a jewelery person overall due to my lifestyle and general style (I wear the same boring stud earrings nearly year-round and no other jewelery except a belly ring) but love my set ("marriage" set rather than "wedding" set in my mind!).

H has a blue sapphire & diamond wedding band. He LOVES it and receives lots of compliments on it.

I love gemstone engagement rings. Just to warn you though (you probably already know this), some gemstones can cost 3x more than diamonds. Unheated sapphires are one of them.

Yup.

The diamond industry likes to harp on the "rarity of diamonds", but diamonds are fairly plentiful (particularly in the smaller sizes). Finding a natural gemstone with colouring you like and natural flaws that you like/do not mind, etc, is pretty difficult and they can get VERY pricey (i.e. Kashmir sapphires).

Yup.

The diamond industry likes to harp on the "rarity of diamonds", but diamonds are fairly plentiful (particularly in the smaller sizes). Finding a natural gemstone with colouring you like and natural flaws that you like/do not mind, etc, is pretty difficult and they can get VERY pricey (i.e. Kashmir sapphires).

They're so beautiful, though! I hadn't heard of Kashmir sapphires specifically, though....so thanks! I just spent a happy few minutes drooling over all the gorgeous cuts and colors.

Speaking of gemstones, I would much rather wear a created stone than a real one. I definitely would never want a diamond because there is so much bad things involved with diamond mining.

Falsely created diamond = diamond that probably didn't have a tortured child slave involved in its production and sale. I am so okay with that.

Archived