IGNORED

Anyone else having this problem with the Duggars?

TouchMeFall21

I was telling my husband last night and he said, does her vagina sound like an echo chamber?

My mom said after that many kids there have to be problems with incontinence and if she says she doesn't have that problem,she's a liar. And she said do they have a farm or something that they need that many kids? I said no, they just believe that God wants them to have that many kids, she then said, God gave them brains, why don't they use them?

One of my friends so eloquently put it "having sex with her must be like throwing a hot dog down a hallway" I sprayed my imac with ice tea on that one.

I've had one and I sometimes, uh have trouble if I sneeze. I can't imagine after 20.

Brainsimple, I can't even imagine what part of your brain and heart you have to shut down to beat a baby with a wooden spoon! That goes against all the "mommy instinct" that I have. I've never hit my 3 kids, even "just" a pop on the butt, and the thought of hitting a BABY makes me sick. Litterally. My stomach hurts from reading this. It makes me want to adopt Jordyn and Jenny Duggar even more (oh, hell, I'll take Hannie, Jackson, and Joy too!).

Yesterday, I had a work related meeting with my supervisors. One of them loathes the Duggars. We snarked about them for awhile. This guy is a mainstream Protestant and most of the people at his church dislike the Duggars mostly because of how the J'Slaves are treated. I have several friends who dislike the Duggars and couple of them have snarked on the Duggars on FB. I'm going to birthday party for one friend tomorrow and another friend who is going to the party dislikes the Duggars mostly because her mom and sisters are huge fans. My friend grew up in the ELCA but left at 19. Her family are the type that watch mostly Christian stuff and they think the Duggars are the greatest people in the world.

Guest Anonymous

My mom only had 1 and she had problems too....so 20!? She probably needs Depends

NEEDS Depends? They probably own stock in the company!

I don't have this issue with the Duggars, but now that Michael Pearl has been in the news more I have totally outed myself and my sick fascination with Christian cults and authoritarian parenting.

Luckily I have a few real-life friends who share my interests so I get facebook messages that say stuff like "Did you read Prophet's Prey? I got a copy!"

I have no real life friends who share my interest. In fact, my sister told me to stop reading here because it just pisses me off. :D

I have a friend who was raised super fundie and whose dad turned out to be a complete, documented, legally convicted hypocrite on basically every count (sexual morality at the top), who totally shares my hatred & fascination with cults but takes it way farther - she's internet pen pals with random cult leaders & she's the friend who had a big Facebook argument with Ted Haggard.

My husband hates the Duggars (well, anything TLC) and his eyes glaze over if I talk about Quiverful etc. His view is that they're freaks, and by paying attention to them I'm wasting my time and giving them some kind of validity. If I ever mention them or that lifestyle to people who've never heard of it, sometimes I have to remind myself that not everyone finds it threatening and/or fascinating.

I know that feeling, my friends don't like them but don't think they are a threat but I know they are so I can get a little ranty about the topic.

Yesterday at work the nurses (L&D) and I were talking about Duggar #20, snark was great. The biggest concern we all had regarding this event-which one of the older girls have been told,if Michelle dies during this event, will have to stay at home to care for the family until JimBOOB remarries.

I have no real life friends who share my interest. In fact, my sister told me to stop reading here because it just pisses me off. :D

Everyone at work knows about my fundie opinions. My family has no clue... my close friends just know better than the bring it up!

Thank goodness most people who know me now share my firm anti-Fundie stance. I've converted a few people who were pro-Duggar for the longest time simply by informing them about the Duggars advocating a freak who advocates literally hitting six-month-olds literally with plumbing pipe, and they pass the babies off to the teen girls to raise entirely from before sun-up until after sun-down including educating them.

My mom said after that many kids there have to be problems with incontinence and if she says she doesn't have that problem,she's a liar. And she said do they have a farm or something that they need that many kids? I said no, they just believe that God wants them to have that many kids, she then said, God gave them brains, why don't they use them?

I think the Duggars got lost on the way to the department that gives out brains.

I had lunch with the DD today, and she asks "Mom hows your blood pressure now that mulletmom has announced #20 is on the way?" Naturally that gave me an opportunity to go off but she distracted the conversation and showed me some photos on her phone, apparently she's been fundy stalking all on her own.

I was in court today (picture "movie set" standard wooden courtroom filled with defendants on bond, defense attorneys, prosecutors, court reporter etc) and we took a break. The judge stepped off the bench and all of the attorneys were milling about by the court reporter raiding her candy. A sub deputy came over (and took the snickers I wanted grrrrr) and started talking about the duggars. All the attorneys and other deputies in the room said "oh shit", looked at me and scurried away before I let loose. I guess they've heard it from me before...

This literally made me LOL.

Emmie, if you ever stopped reading here I would be broken-hearted - you are a delight to watch in a debate.

Brainsimple, I can't even imagine what part of your brain and heart you have to shut down to beat a baby with a wooden spoon! That goes against all the "mommy instinct" that I have. I've never hit my 3 kids, even "just" a pop on the butt, and the thought of hitting a BABY makes me sick. Litterally. My stomach hurts from reading this. It makes me want to adopt Jordyn and Jenny Duggar even more (oh, hell, I'll take Hannie, Jackson, and Joy too!).

This is a great example of how these systems exploit and manipulate both the good and the bad in people. You do have to assign your own discernment and judgement and conscience over to someone else who supposedly has everyone's best interests at heart.

That's what freaked me out when I first exited the cult -- they not only exploited my weaknesses, they exploited my desire to do good and to what God wanted me to do. What helped usher me out was my high view of truth and conscience, because what they said was God's will was outright abusive, and I was simply not willing to turn that off in my head. Luckily for me, the drive of my own conscience was greater than my drive to conform to what some mediator for God declared to be true. (I was taught that we needed no mediators, the cry of the Protestant Reformation.) Michael Pearl says it's needful, or ATI says that it's needful. For some, conforming to what someone else says is more important at the time, usually because they've lost perspective.

When you get strongly conditioned enough and you displace your own conscience, giving it over to someone else or some idea that is not dynamic, I think that you can do anything for the "greater good." It's really sad.

I've got my boyfriend into snarking on the Duggars, it's brilliant.

Telling my mates they were having their 20th, one was like 'What the fuck is wrong with America???'

I think it's a little ridiculous to ask what is wrong with a country of about 300 million people most of whom are not having 20 children (I believe that the average couple has less than 2 children?) for one extreme family.

Not that I don't think that there is plenty wrong with America, but asking what is wrong with America because of the Duggars is unfair to the vast majority of Americans.

they not only exploited my weaknesses, they exploited my desire to do good and to what God wanted me to do.

I think that might be how my mom got sucked in to fundie-pentacostal craziness. My mom has a very giving, loving, forgiving personality and fundieland just loved that! All she ever wanted was to be a good mom and a good person, and their promise was "do this, this, and this and you will be a good mom and person". It's really sad and the permanent emotional damage and guilt that my mom deals with is even sadder, IMO.

BTW, I'm really sorry Brainsample, for peviously spelling your name wrong! One little letter makes a huge differance in your name! Haha.

I know everyone wants to adopt the adorable little girls, but I'd take the Howler monkeys and try to give them some education, sense of purpose and individuality.

Archived