IGNORED

All American Muslim

fundiefun

I don't have cable, so I won't be able to watch it. However, I thought this critique was good:

http://theidealmuslimah.blogspot.com/20 ... hiite.html

This last paragraph rings true. American Muslims are having a tough go right now, but not any worse than my second generation Italian American grandmother faced. She had people tell her to her face that they wouldn't hire her because she was a dago and a wop.

800px-Doingoftheduffs_-_thetacomatimes_dec08_1917.jpg

Look at what German Americans faced during WW1. And Japanese Americans during WW2.

dr-seuss-fifth-column-1943.jpg

(recognize that drawing style? I'll give you a hint. It starts with Doctor and ends with Seuss)

This isn't to say that it doesn't suck to be discriminated against. But this is, unfortunately, a time honored tradition in american, pick on the "new guy" (even if they're not so new). In general, we seem to have it a lot better than the Italians, Germans, Japanese and Irish before us.

The show makes it clear that they aren't profiling a cross-section of Muslims of different backgrounds across the US, but rather a few families from Dearborn. The unique demographics of Dearborn are part of the show. If anything, hearing some more about it would be interesting. I did notice that they all seemed to be Lebanese.

Ironically, I wasn't thinking "immigrant" at all when watching the show. It was more like "wow, that's a thick Detroit accent!"

"Orientalist"? I think it's more like "slightly sensationalist, and using the established TLC formula of at first focusing on whatever makes family X different, before installing cameras in the home and showing mundane details of life". If Bravo was doing the series, we'd have Real Housewives of Dearborn, endless talk of clothes and plenty of catfights. In some ways, it's also a bit of a challenge to the viewer, as if to say "do YOU find this exotic or threatening, and are you willing to confront your stereotypes?"

Anyway, I've got an idea for a new show: All-Canadian Multicultural Theme Park!

We'll send a camera crew to Canada's Wonderland, and notice how you have a zillion different groups from a zillion different places, who have all decided that they want to go on roller coasters. For extra fun, we'll film on a particularly hot day and see everything from bikinis to full hijab and niqab, and maybe catch a glimpse of creative ways to cool off in the waterpark area.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, confession time. I love this show and I've gotten pretty addicted to some of the shows on TLC. I know they're not perfect by any means and the shows tend to gloss over a lot of stuff, but it is a way for me to get insight into a world that I would probably not get insight into otherwise. My three favorites (in order of time on tv) are 19K&C, Sister Wives, and now All American Muslim. I've always been fascinated by religion, but other than a introductory religious studies class last year I don't know much about it all. Sure, I can look online (and I do, obviously, or I wouldn't be here), but shows like these give me an insight into how their lives work and how they feel.

Again, I know it's not exactly 'real' reality, but it's still something. I can't imagine just walking up to a stranger and asking them personal questions about their lives and religion. Heck, religion is one of the things I wouldn't even really bring up with a friend unless I knew them really well. I think the closest I've ever come is the fact that I'm always telling Muslim women how much I love their headscarves. Maybe this is just my perception, but they always seem kind of offended when I tell them this, like they think I'm lying, but I'm really not. I think they're beautiful and am even a little bit envious. Anyways, I'm restricting actual judgement on this show until I've seen more, but for now I like it.

I enjoyed this show. I actually live near Dearborn and have grown up with Muslim neighbors and classmates my entire life. We all know that Muslims and those of Arab descent have endured intense scrutiny and persecution since 9-11, and I personally think it is nice to have a show that so far reflects Arab-Americans in a more positive light.

I heard a radio show this morning where they interviewed one of the women on the show - I think it was Naweel, the young woman who is pregnant, and she expressed that she chose to cover herself, by wearing the hijab, when she was in public and around other men out of respect for her husband. She commented about how certain parts of her body and her beauty were only for her husbands eyes. Honestly, I think that is beautiful. i don't agree with the Muslim religion, but I do respect others religious rights.

As for wearing the hijab at a young age, I honestly don't think it's much different then growing up in any religious household, their are generally rules parents expect their children respect until they are old enough to make decisions/support themselves on their own - ex. I grew up in a conservative Christian household and it was expected that as part of our family and living under my parents roof we would attend church, sunday school, youth group, dress modestly, participate in family devotions, etc. I'm not saying that I don't believe that children have rights, but I do think that when you are talking about young children you have to recognize the Constitutional rights our country has established that allow parents to raise their children according to whatever religion they believe in. Although some of these girls might be required to wear a hijab starting at a young age I know many Muslim girls/women who do not, or stopped wearing it once they have gotten older.

I have no problem with the hijab if it freely chosen and does not prevent young girls from taking part in swimming and sports. I'm sorry, but the image of those beautiful hijabi/abaya girls stuck sitting on the sidelines in 100 degree heat while their brothers got to enjoy the pool at the Y makes me so sad.

I'm looking forward to this one, too! It should be interesting....but TLC will spin this one however they want it to be. I don't expect this to show "reality" or how people really think/feel/act any more than the Duggars or Gosselins or Browns.

This.

I watched the first episode a few nights back and I like this show despite its flaws. Some of the people are very likable and admit to their flaws, unlike the holier than thou Christian Duggars.

Archived