IGNORED

Jack Hyles

SouthCarolinaGirl79

Holy cats that is one wacky school. None of the professors have Phd's. Many of the teachers graduated from Hyles. Divorced people under 25 can't attend. It goes on and on. That being said: Here is one program: " Department of Marriage and Motherhood

This course of study is designed to train ladies to be wives and mothers. Courses in Christian womanhood, the art of being a good wife, the way to be a spiritual mother, and the rearing of children will be emphasized." This program includes classes in: "Crock pot cooking" and "Woman the Completer" and "Cooking for guests" and "speech" and "canning and freezing" and "understanding your husband". :lol:

Here is the link: hylesanderson.edu/files/2010_2011_catalog.pdf

I started snickering at work reading this! I mean really... crock pot cooking? How much is there to learn on the subject?

I started snickering at work reading this! I mean really... crock pot cooking? How much is there to learn on the subject?

lol, that was actually useful though. Umm, yeah, I took the course as an M&M major.

All those crockpot recipes (including an awesome one for "roast" turkey mean I get to spend time on FJ instead of in the kitchen. :D

I can't remember what fundie blog I was reading, it was a year or so ago, though. But the "bus kids" didn't even get to go to the same church events as the "regular kids". They had a separate Sunday School, Children's Church and even fall festival for them. I always thought that was pretty crappy and that it made it clear that they viewed children who rode the bus as not worthy of being around the kids whose parents attended church.

I still don't really believe that Jack Hyles had an affair.

I've never known quite what to believe. I know that when it came out, we immediately cut all ties with anyone not supporting him. Our planned trip to the Bill Rice Ranch was suddenly changed to a different location (because they took his name off one of the dormitories). Most of the people I know who actually met Bro. Hyles (as in more than just shook his hand) either as college students or who grew up in his church are certain he is innocent. Though they may not be IFBx'ers anymore, they still admire him. That says a lot. Even the daughter of the secretary isn't positive anything sexual actually occured, though she admits the situation was messed up.

Nope, I was never sure but I never was able to totally discount it either. It is the kindof thing that people would get behind him to cover it up, denying it until they believed themselves, all in the name of "making it (their version of Christianity) look good".

Welcome, South Carolina Girl!

I appreciate the quote which I copied and saved. John Rice's material is probably sufficient to make a statement about the IFB's attitude toward women, but I figure that the extra can't hurt!

I can't imagine what you've had to grow up with and see.

I graduated from HAC in the early 80's but I no longer espouse anything HAC. Although there were a few things I had my doubts abt, I left the movement after he and his son showed their true colors. So much happened in such a short time, it was hard to keep up with it all. Glad I'm living a normal life now.

All those crockpot recipes (including an awesome one for "roast" turkey mean I get to spend time on FJ instead of in the kitchen. :D

this would be the time of year to share that turkey recipe, if you were so inclined :) :) :)

(or any of the others. i need to reclaim an extra hour or two a day. the crockpot has a certain... allure.. )

Don't get me wrong, I love my crock-pot as much as the next girl, but I don't think there really needs to be a class in using it.

this would be the time of year to share that turkey recipe, if you were so inclined :) :) :)

(or any of the others. i need to reclaim an extra hour or two a day. the crockpot has a certain... allure.. )

It's so simple it's not even really a recipe - put the turkey in the crockpot, rub it inside and out with a package of Lipton onion soup mix, let it cook all day until it's 155* in the deepest part of the breast and thigh (I do 160 because I'm paranoid). That's it, but I usually add just enough water to cover the bottom and toss in some very rough chopped onions, carrots, garlic, and a stalk or 2 of celery. The juices and soup mix combine to make a sort of gravy for it.

There's a facebook page and website called the Crock Pot Girls that is good for recipes, too.

Don't get me wrong, I love my crock-pot as much as the next girl, but I don't think there really needs to be a class in using it.

True, but you've gotta realize most HAC classes, even the academics and I hear the preaching ones as well, tend to get way of track. They're usually about 20-60% dedicated to the subject matter, with the rest being whatever the teacher wants to ramble or rant about. The cool teachers will tell a bunch of personal anecdotes and stories; the ones I dreaded would rant about politics, "liberalism" pants on women, hairstyles, television, or whatever else was on their mind.

It's so simple it's not even really a recipe - put the turkey in the crockpot, rub it inside and out with a package of Lipton onion soup mix, let it cook all day until it's 155* in the deepest part of the breast and thigh (I do 160 because I'm paranoid). That's it, but I usually add just enough water to cover the bottom and toss in some very rough chopped onions, carrots, garlic, and a stalk or 2 of celery. The juices and soup mix combine to make a sort of gravy for it.

There's a facebook page and website called the Crock Pot Girls that is good for recipes, too.

<3.

the next few months are going to be horrendously busy; i'm pretty certain the time has come to make the switch. You're a champ, Raine! thanks!

Thanks about the information on buses and their role in this type of ministry. I've never known a church with a bus.

Hyles was kind of my gateway into the fundie world...although I had religious training growing up, not of his sort, and when I heard about HAC I could not believe the crazy. Grown women had to do that? When I was at uni the strictest rule I had was not to use abbreviations in academic papers.

You guys who went there were brave! I would have been out on my arse after about ten seconds.

Agree that Schaap sounds far creepier than Hyles, which takes a wee bit of doing in my book.

I graduated from HAC in the early 80's but I no longer espouse anything HAC. Although there were a few things I had my doubts abt, I left the movement after he and his son showed their true colors. So much happened in such a short time, it was hard to keep up with it all. Glad I'm living a normal life now.

Welcome to FJ. Glad you're OK.

I have been fascinated with the world of Hyles Anderson and Jack Schaap for a really long time- when I went down that rabbit hole I realized just how crazy my upbringing was. Something about reading it from another source just highlighted everything really well for me. One of my favorite Hyles-Anderson sites to read is '>http://www.fundamentalforums.com/hyles-anderson-college/

There are a bunch of great topics on that forum and you will see just how CRAZY it really is.

Archived