IGNORED

What's up with "Yah"?

Hane

I notice that the "messianic Jewish" mommy and SAHD bloggers tend to refer to the Almighty as "Yah," short for "Yahweh." WTF? Are they so tight with their creator that they call him by his nickname? Or is it somehow onomastically valid?

Inquiring minds want to know!

They're cool. They're hip. They're down with Yah, yo. Let's get some Yah-some up in here!

(Oh, how I love the movie Saved! Your comment made me think of it...)

Using the tetragrammaton is apparently also forbidden in the Mishna - "He who pronounces the Name with its own letters has no part in the world to come!", & yet these so-called "Jews" drop the name in every other sentence w/ 0 reverence for the Jewish customs surrounding its use.

Yah is the rastafarian word for God.

Yah is a Hebrew term for God, seen as a root in many names and words. I have never heard a Jew use it on its own. The actual name of God is sacred and not to be thrown around in casual conversation, so the faux Jews are indeed showing their lack of knowledge in a rather offensive way.

I am not super-Jew, although there are several more educated people on FJ who can educate us further.

Yah is a Hebrew term for God, seen as a root in many names and words. I have never heard a Jew use it on its own. The actual name of God is sacred and not to be thrown around in casual conversation, so the faux Jews are indeed showing their lack of knowledge in a rather offensive way.

I am not super-Jew, although there are several more educated people on FJ who can educate us further.

Ok, busted, I did roll the spliff, I should have known that or at least been able to pull it up from the memory banks, or maybe cared enough to be accurate :mrgreen:

It also makes me think "Rasta" as a first reaction, lol.

I don't have a problem with the shortened version, as a shortened version. There is no issue in Christianity with relating to God on that level. As a child who relates to a loving father and calls him "Daddy" rather than using some formality.

However, when it is part of the "I'm holier than you because I'm using the Real Name Of God and you're using Some Pagan Substitute", it irks me.

I've done missions work in the Caribbean, and the Christians there (on several islands in the West Indies) told me that "Jah" was considered by them to be "cultic" and was not considered Christian. A national named Quincy Jones used those words, not me! I played and started singing a Christafari song when I was down in Trinidad while hanging out with my keyboard, and thank God it wasn't in a church service, because they told me that it would create havoc.

So the Christians identified it as Rastafarian, and that was unacceptable to the "fundies" there.

???

Every time I see Yah I think of Jah, and I want to roll a fat spliff and listen to Reggae. :banana-stoner:

The only Jew I know who says "Yah" is my brother-in-law, and only because he's the lead singer of a reggae band.

I've done missions work in the Caribbean, and the Christians there (on several islands in the West Indies) told me that "Jah" was considered by them to be "cultic" and was not considered Christian. A national named Quincy Jones used those words, not me! I played and started singing a Christafari song when I was down in Trinidad while hanging out with my keyboard, and thank God it wasn't in a church service, because they told me that it would create havoc.

So the Christians identified it as Rastafarian, and that was unacceptable to the "fundies" there.

???

Aaaah, I love Christafari. 8-)

But they are definitely controversial among Carribean Christians because they do use that term, and generally work within Rasta culture and language, rather than separating from it. But they also annoy the Rastas too, because they reject the central tenets of the religion.

Maybe it is a major issue there because they are so close to the tension, and the problems it causes? I'm not sure if many of the fundies who use "Yah" are aware of Rastafarianism and what it entails--so it is not associated with "false religion" to them.

Aaaah, I love Christafari. 8-)

But they are definitely controversial among Carribean Christians because they do use that term, and generally work within Rasta culture and language, rather than separating from it. But they also annoy the Rastas too, because they reject the central tenets of the religion.

Maybe it is a major issue there because they are so close to the tension, and the problems it causes? I'm not sure if many of the fundies who use "Yah" are aware of Rastafarianism and what it entails--so it is not associated with "false religion" to them.

Yeah, it's just the nickname for God's proper name.

Every time I see Yah I think of Jah, and I want to roll a fat spliff and listen to Reggae. :banana-stoner:
Like the rasta dude in that crazy "Wife Swap" epi, "Let Jah provide!"

Oh. My. Gosh. I never knew a pot-smoking rasta dancing banana existed until right now. My life is now complete!

Maybe they're just Swedes from Minnesota?

"Oh Yah, me and Ole go to the Lutheran church down in Two Harbors every Sunday!"

As one of the Norwegians from Minnesota, I thank you for making me crack the eff up at that. Uff da!

Isn't it true that we don't really know how to pronounce the actual name of God? So while all this Yah stuff is stupid and not customarily done in real Judaism, it's not really prohibited by Jewish law....or is it?

In the UK 'Yahs' are posh, privileged upper-middle or upper class teenagers/young adults who say 'yah' instead of 'yes'. Yahs are basically the opposite of chavs. Now, I really don't mean to be disrespectful about a religion's term for God, but it really does make me giggle to see the word 'Yah' written down...

In the UK 'Yahs' are posh, privileged upper-middle or upper class teenagers/young adults who say 'yah' instead of 'yes'. Yahs are basically the opposite of chavs. Now, I really don't mean to be disrespectful about a religion's term for God, but it really does make me giggle to see the word 'Yah' written down...

Oh God, I will be unable to see/hear that now. I will be laughing my arse off next time I have to go to Oxford.

Does anyone know if Yah is pronounced with a long or short a? The type of yah triplet is referring to has a long a. If fake-Jew Yah has a long a too I will never stop laughing.

Oh God, I will be unable to see/hear that now. I will be laughing my arse off next time I have to go to Oxford.

Does anyone know if Yah is pronounced with a long or short a? The type of yah triplet is referring to has a long a. If fake-Jew Yah has a long a too I will never stop laughing.

Fake-Jew-Yah is pronounced like "YAW." That's why "Yahsome!" is so funny =)

Fake-Jew-Yah is pronounced like "YAW." That's why "Yahsome!" is so funny =)

One one hand I'm disappointed that it's pronounced differently (UK-Yah is said like 'YA'), but on the other hand I'm now chuckling away at how I'd always presumed 'Yahsome' was pronounced! I'd been reading it like 'Ya-some', and always did think it rather an odd word to make. Rather stupidly it never occurred to me that it might be not be pronounced how it would be over here...

Also chuckling because show me the word 'Yahsome' and I automatically think it means 'like a stereotypical, posh, upper-middle or upper class English young person'!

Archived