IGNORED

new VF conference

Nurse Jenna

I have to say that these people will stop at nothing. It seems that there is no limit to their moneymaking endeavors. I give you "The Reformation of Food and Family Conference" I mean who knew that food has been reformed or is in need of reformation? These people are so utterly silly and my first thought was who the hell will pay for that, but then I realized that the flock will surely line up once again to be fleeced. Dougie is truly a genius when it comes to creative ways to swindle people out of their hard earned cash.

I see Joe Morecraft is listed as one of their special entrées; seriously that guy is like 300 lb. It would be funny if he was speaking on “Food and Frugality”. “Avoiding Food Heresies” just cracked me up.

A quick Google search on Francis Foucachon, the French chef on the program for this event, reveals he is involved in something called Huguenot Heritage Ministries, an organization concerned with "the re-evangelization of Europe." I'm betting he and Dougie became fast friends during one of Dougie's recent VF junkets.

I can't stop laughing at this one. Big, loud, boisterous, rattle the dishes kind of laughing.

This can't possibly be a pro health thing without alienating the Duggars who subsist off some of the worst examples of prepared and processed foods. Unless they're going to blast health food as a scam, and that will alienate the natural health and alternative medicine types who are too Luddite to use traditional medicine.

Hmmm.

Great snark potential here.

How much do you want to bet that VF is going to sell kitchen items like aprons and stuff with their logo?

Guest Anonymous
I can't stop laughing at this one.

How much do you want to bet that VF is going to sell kitchen items like aprons and stuff with their logo?

Do bears shit in the woods?

Oh wow, they're really scraping the bottom of the barrel, aren't they?? I see that the presenters are (mostly) the usual suspects, although I don't see Daddy Bot anywhere on the list...perhaps he did not want to dress up as a farmer for the event?

I'm saving my money for the "theology of bathroom cleaning" conference that is sure to follow this one, since they've clearly run out of ideas.

Yeah, but they don't it with with epistemologic self-consciousness!

:lol: OMG I'm under the table, thanks I needed a good laugh

I thought it sounded like it was going to be all about eating dinner together every night. I'm sure that will come up.

The topic and then dinner, depending on what they serve.

This is just unbelievable to me. He talks about Food, Inc. in the narrative. I bet someone asked Doug if he saw the film and told him about it and said that this is an important issue that Christians should discuss. And probably ten minutes later, Doug probably said, "I have a great, original idea! This is an important issue that Christians should discuss."

And did anyone catch that he put Marxism in there -- the Marxist way food is produced or something. Food tasted so much better when you had your heathen slaves to harvest, cook and serve the food, and then do all of the clean up. Oh, wait! That's what quivering daughters are for!

Food tasted so much better when you had your heathen slaves to harvest, cook and serve the food, and then do all of the clean up. Oh, wait! That's what quivering daughters are for!

Exactly - male French chef notwithstanding, I'm sure this is all going to boil down to the simple message that shoppin', schleppin', and cookin' the meals is wimminfolk work. Gotta leave the men free to take dominion, don'tcha know.

I'll bet $10 that they say food started going downhill when women started working outside the home (a view held by quite a few people in the Slow Food movement), and $20 that they will somehow connect food with abortion.

I wonder what their aprons are going to say.

"With their own hands compassionate women have cooked... (Lamentations 4:10)"

I would really, really love to go to this conference. I cannot imagine what they could possibly say that would make everyone happy. And the ripping on statist intervention in food safety! Has he never read "The Jungle?"

And Brainsample, I almost busted a gut with the epistemological self-consciousness of teh bears.

Exactly - male French chef notwithstanding, I'm sure this is all going to boil down to the simple message that shoppin', schleppin', and cookin' the meals is wimminfolk work. Gotta leave the men free to take dominion, don'tcha know.

Yup, the men will sit around discussing the "theology" while the women do all the food prep and clean up. Then the men will go home and instruct their wives based on what they've learned, which I'm sure the women will *love*

Meanwhile, Doug's grandma and every other attendee's grandma will roll in her grave thinking "in my day, we made biscuits and gravy and pulled veggies from the garden, said grace, and called it supper. No need for all this bloviating!!!" But I guess Granny's wisdom is not good enough for these "theologians."

I kind of imagine that Doug has been an irresponsible eater ( remember when we were chuckling at the straining seams on his waistcoats?) and now has seen the light and sees some troofs to bring to his flicks all while making the spondoolik (money, according to the"Jeeves andWooster" I justviewed.

I have no time to hit the website but wonder if Benjamin Sreven is involved. He was managing an organic farm in NE Missouri and for. a while involved in some nouvelle cuisine-ish place in old town Saint Louis. Also a VF intern not too far back. His stringbean family eat very responsibly and his Sis Rebecca sure got the ## off of her once chubby hubby.

If Ben's not involved I call the whole thing phonier than usual!!

I thought it sounded like it was going to be all about eating dinner together every night. I'm sure that will come up.

But of course!

On a practical level, our fast-paced, frenzied generation may be the first in the history of Western Civilization to have abandoned family meal time.

Funny how Doug likes to think we are the only fast-paced generation.

WTH is a food heresy???

Oh, and do you think this conference will be catered? :lol:

I think a very common food heresy is not putting ketchup and onions on a burger.

Yes, but what does the Lord have to say about that? We need to turn to our Bibles for the answer.

I wonder what their aprons are going to say.

"With their own hands compassionate women have cooked... (Lamentations 4:10)"

i'm going to go with proverbs 31:14 :)

I'll bet $10 that they say food started going downhill when women started working outside the home (a view held by quite a few people in the Slow Food movement), and $20 that they will somehow connect food with abortion.

But of course. "Under the influence of feminism and Marxism, children are as disposable as fast-food burger wrappers..."

This is just unbelievable to me. He talks about Food, Inc. in the narrative. I bet someone asked Doug if he saw the film and told him about it and said that this is an important issue that Christians should discuss. And probably ten minutes later, Doug probably said, "I have a great, original idea! This is an important issue that Christians should discuss."

And did anyone catch that he put Marxism in there -- the Marxist way food is produced or something. Food tasted so much better when you had your heathen slaves to harvest, cook and serve the food, and then do all of the clean up. Oh, wait! That's what quivering daughters are for!

If it's going to have any content whatsoever, I think you've found exactly what it will be. I just don't get Doug Philips. Doesn't he see how twee and ridiculous some of his costumes and stunts are? Can't he tell what a tool it makes him look to organise something so stupid?

WTF?

I walked through to our kitchen and looked. Granted I'm the only Marxist here (the rest are anarchists) but I didn't see anything weird about our food. Marxist food production? I don't even.

The only thing I can think of is that Marxists, in my experience, tend to really like curries. Are curries bad? Does Doug have a curry issue?

OMG, I want to go to the US in so many ways. One, to meet cool FJists like you, Lissar, SOT, Deelaem, so many I can't name all. Two, to meet some especially good friends from another board. Three, to go to a VF conference in a frumper with a guy pretending to be my headship (I know just the one ;)). If Doug started on about Marxism, I would stand up, rip off my headcovering, and challenge him to a FUCKING DEBATE ON IT.

A girl can dream ;)

"Certainly many of the greatest victories, crimes, celebrations, ceremonies, revelations, and judgments took place around events that involved food."

Yes, because oddly enough even the greatest generals, criminals, heroes, prophets, and judges needed to eat. So...they probably had breakfast before doing whatever they did that made them famous. And perhaps they had dinner afterwards. Gosh, the culinary revelations.

What next, a conference on the theology of breathing? "Hear Dr Joe Morecraft III preach a powerful message on common respiratory heresies."

I am about to check about a book on evangelicals and dieting called Born-Again Bodies, as I was wondering what the connection was between their form of Christianity and the focus on weight control. I suspect that it's more about disciplining bodies than health in the same way they attempt to discipline people into "proper" sexual behavior, attire, and gender roles.

Here's my question for Doug. If he had to cook 3 meals a day from scratch for his family, how would he find time for his manly jaunts and highfalutin conferences? He might, like lots of adults everywhere, be tempted to use convenience foods occasionally. But of course rather than examine the way that the current structure of work and family in the U.S. makes it difficult to find the time to cook, shop, and serve healthy meals, he's just going to blame mothers and wives for not feeding everyone well. And he isn't going to look at whether or not healthy food is available in all areas and affordable and try to help those who are struggling. They just need to try harder. No need for that horrible statist intervention.

Archived