IGNORED

Mercola Vaccine Film Free this Week

Brainsample

no Hep B until he was a bit older (and ready to go to a mom and tots class. I was worried about another kid somehow biting him. Stupid? perhaps).

Not really. That sort of thing is WHY the give Heb B to infants.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know too many people who choose to go no-vax. (not delayed vax as a previous poster suggested.). Even as an adult, I'm up to date on everything, and glad that I am since I live in a county with the lowest vaccination rare in the state. Diptheria epidemics are common. I don't get it.

The one I definitely would not turn down for a young infant is Pertussis. Whooping Cough is not uncommon in certain communities (anywhere near the Amish), and mortality rate is very high on children under two, if I recall correctly.

I have a friend whose older child contracted a serious and life threatening cancer, refused vaccines, and while in ongoing recovery from the cancer treatment, contracted whooping cough. The mom is naturally tortured, wondering if her care played any kind of role in the development of the cancer, but concerning the Whooping Cough, look out! She feels entirely justified and offers all sorts of rationales as to why refusing those immunizations were the smartest move. I look at it from the other perspective -- that if I had vaccinated, it would have spared the girl the additional suffering. But the anti-vax position has it's own religious connotation, so it is easy for many to justify and it is strongly defended like a religious rite.

According to the ones who laid into me last week: "most cases of polio are asymptomatic" which even though wikipedia confirms as 90%, would you REALLY want your kid to be that 10%? I sure as shit wouldn't. Oh and apparently adults NEVER get the DaTP vaccine, like EVER. Which is bullshit. Its the fucking tetanus shot, and I make damn sure to get mine every 7 years because I have a habit of going around barefoot 9 months out of the year.

My gramps is a polio survivor.

He's still dealing with 'post-polio syndrome'.

They're finding that people who are 'asymptomatic' w/ polio are developing this as they age. (It looks a helluva lot like parkinsons, just less treatable--affects him physically and mentally)

those "90%" may be asymptomatic now...wait and have this develop and it's heartbreaking.

The only vaccine I did not have was the chicken pox vaccine. I got chickenpox when I was very young and living in the UK, where it's not part of the vaccine schedule. It SUCKED. Horribly. If I have kids, they're getting every vaccine necessary. Including the flu.

I did also have to get a TDaP (well, it's called TDaP where I am) shot before I went to Governor's School. My arm hurt for weeks afterward. Of course, I had ADHD, but I already had ADHD, so whatevs, right? I'd rather have a sore arm than quite literally COUGH MYSELF TO DEATH.

Fucking hell. All of these anti-vaxer assholes where vaccinated and are healthy. They aren't considering their children at all. They are self-righteous assholes who are so afraid of their kids being ever-so-slightly non-neurotypical that they'd rather see them die. Or they just don't want to be wrong. Because if they have ADHD or autism anyway, it's somebody else's fault. They won't even blame genetics, which does actually strongly contribute to both.

I couldn't bring myself to watch it either. (Two people sent it to me.)

And I think that Mercola is a money making whore which is the only enticing thing about watching that video for free -- if he gives something away, you ought to take advantage of it. His info can be pretty good some of the time if it's not propaganda to sell a product, or just plain panic and propaganda.

yeah- he makes money every time you hit his site. All those sites use a counter to measure site traffic and that information is used to sell ad space. As far as I am concerned, it is just fear-mongering for profit.

They're finding that people who are 'asymptomatic' w/ polio are developing this as they age. (It looks a helluva lot like parkinsons, just less treatable--affects him physically and mentally)

those "90%" may be asymptomatic now...wait and have this develop and it's heartbreaking.

Dude, my mom was symptomatic with polio as a child and has post-polio syndrome that has left her completely wheelchair bound and unable to live on her own. Definitely less treatable 'tho. :(

According to the ones who laid into me last week: "most cases of polio are asymptomatic" which even though wikipedia confirms as 90%, would you REALLY want your kid to be that 10%? I sure as shit wouldn't. Oh and apparently adults NEVER get the DaTP vaccine, like EVER. Which is bullshit. Its the fucking tetanus shot, and I make damn sure to get mine every 7 years because I have a habit of going around barefoot 9 months out of the year.

My kid has kinda been selectively/delayed vaccinated. No chickenpox (My immune system has been SHOT since having him and I'm terrified of catching shingles- every kid I know who go the pox vaccine, ALSO broke with the chicken pox shortly after) and no Hep B until he was a bit older (and ready to go to a mom and tots class. I was worried about another kid somehow biting him. Stupid? perhaps).

Yep, I just got one a couple of months ago. Stepped on a nail. Awesome.

I hate Mercola as well. I went to a continuing education class and the speaker was a Periodontists and she was saying how she loved his site and used him as a source (on nutrition). A few of us spoke up and said he's a quack. She said something like "I know some of his stuff is out there but I like him." Of ALL the sources why would a highly educated person use his? Didn't she learn anything in college about being careful who you use as a source, especially online? I lost a little but of respect for her.

Same here with an uncle. If you saw what he went through the last 5 years of his life.......well, I'd like to think it would make people think about what polio looks like. It's not pretty.

The only vaccine I did not have was the chicken pox vaccine. I got chickenpox when I was very young and living in the UK, where it's not part of the vaccine schedule. It SUCKED. Horribly. If I have kids, they're getting every vaccine necessary. Including the flu.

If you're in your late 20's or above, it might have just been that it was so new that it wasn't on the schedule/available. I'm in my mid 30's and it wasn't available when I was a kid. I had such a severe case that I still have some scars. My mom took me to the Dr. several times because it was so bad. (my siblings both had very mild cases at the same time) While the majority of the cases are like my siblings, why would I want to risk that a potential child of mine would have a severe case like I did. (or even more severe) It's just inconceivable to me. I don't get their thinking.

Yes. And I see you live in WA too....it scares me here because I recently heard we have the lowest vax rate in the nation. Although we are delaying, we fully intend to have our kids fully vaxed before they go to school. It's scary that so many people here aren't vaxing and that we are already seeing some of these diseases making a comeback. I completely understand and support delaying. I do not understand or support completely avoiding vaccination.

I think delaying makes sense. There are so many immunizations given at one time today. If I had young kids today I'd space out the immunizations.

I was a little concerned about the chicken pox vaccine also. But my kids all got it without any issues. The first few years it was being used, I had several outbreaks in my preschool classroom despite most of the kids being vaxed and I kinda wondered what was the point. Herd immunity seems to be taking over now. The only kids I know who have had it are unvaccinated.

Now that they are doing a second shot yes. My son got it the year the released the reccomend actions for the booster.

The one I definitely would not turn down for a young infant is Pertussis. Whooping Cough is not uncommon in certain communities (anywhere near the Amish), and mortality rate is very high on children under two, if I recall correctly.

I have a friend whose older child contracted a serious and life threatening cancer, refused vaccines, and while in ongoing recovery from the cancer treatment, contracted whooping cough. The mom is naturally tortured, wondering if her care played any kind of role in the development of the cancer, but concerning the Whooping Cough, look out! She feels entirely justified and offers all sorts of rationales as to why refusing those immunizations were the smartest move. I look at it from the other perspective -- that if I had vaccinated, it would have spared the girl the additional suffering. But the anti-vax position has it's own religious connotation, so it is easy for many to justify and it is strongly defended like a religious rite.

I work at the largest children's cancer research hospital in the world. In many cancer pediatric cancer patients can't be immunized which is why herd immunity is such a big need here in Memphis. We have thousands of immune suppressed kids here...

My grandmother lost 4 children to diptheria. I have a letter my grandfather wrote in 1905 talking about how depressed Mary was, the funeral of one child was the day before she gave birth to another baby.

I had classmates who died from polio, one was a neighbor. We lived in fear of getting polio.

We all had mumps, measles, and rubella. Kids can die from those diseases, better to prevent them. We've had a measles outbreak in the past year. Back in the early 90's we had a major measles outbreak, several kids died. The deaths all occurred in the Hmong community. That community now has a very high rate of immunizations.

Meanwhile I have 2 grandkids not immunized. :angry-banghead: My DH, a M.D., and I both made our opinions known, then shut up. They aren't our kids.

If you're in your late 20's or above, it might have just been that it was so new that it wasn't on the schedule/available. I'm in my mid 30's and it wasn't available when I was a kid. I had such a severe case that I still have some scars. My mom took me to the Dr. several times because it was so bad. (my siblings both had very mild cases at the same time) While the majority of the cases are like my siblings, why would I want to risk that a potential child of mine would have a severe case like I did. (or even more severe) It's just inconceivable to me. I don't get their thinking.

I'm 19. My parents skipped that vaccine anyway, because kids were getting chickenpox anyway, and they are wary of new vaccines. I've had every other vaccine, though, on schedule. Also, I tried to look for when the vaccine was available in the UK, it seems it was around the mid-90's but the vaccine is really only given to kids who are particularly susceptible.

I don't think I had a particularly nasty case, and I don't really have any scars from it, but it still really, really sucked.

No chickenpox (My immune system has been SHOT since having him and I'm terrified of catching shingles- every kid I know who go the pox vaccine, ALSO broke with the chicken pox shortly after) and no Hep B until he was a bit older (and ready to go to a mom and tots class. I was worried about another kid somehow biting him. Stupid? perhaps).

You don't catch shingles. Shingles is the result of YOU having had chicken pox in the past. The virus lies dormant along dorsal nerve roots. Sometimes the dormant virus activates and the nerve root breaks out in shingles. If you've never had chicken pox you will never get shingles. My mother didn't think I'd ever had chicken pox, then I developed shingles so we knew I'd had it. Exposure to a child with chicken pox will not cause a person to develop shingles.

IMO, there is no right answer to the vaccine debate - you're all right, and you're all wrong, in different ways and to varying degrees. Until vaccines are made absolutely safe and risk-free, that's always going to be the way of it.

There is nothing in life 100% safe and risk free, never will be.

Now that they are doing a second shot yes. My son got it the year the released the reccomend actions for the booster.

My sons have all received a booster, as well. None of them has gotten chicken pox even though they've been exposed several times (that I know of). I do believe that immunity is building within the "herd".

You don't catch shingles. Shingles is the result of YOU having had chicken pox in the past. The virus lies dormant along dorsal nerve roots. Sometimes the dormant virus activates and the nerve root breaks out in shingles. If you've never had chicken pox you will never get shingles. My mother didn't think I'd ever had chicken pox, then I developed shingles so we knew I'd had it. Exposure to a child with chicken pox will not cause a person to develop shingles.

What's the deal with the shingles vaccine then?

I'm not in the medical field, but it is my understanding that it is recommended for older people because they are more susceptible to getting shingles. Maybe there are other populations, too, but I've seen signs recommending them for older people. Only people who have had the chicken pox can develop shingles.

My SIL, who is battling breast cancer, recently developed shingles. I could not believe how much pain she was in just from the shingles.

Guest Anonymous

I got shingles when I was 22. I had no idea what was going on with me until I saw my doc but I will tell you it was horrible and very painful. I had flu-like symptoms and blisters on my back along my spine that hurt. I felt like poo for several weeks.

The shingles vaccine is given to people over age 60 to prevent the dormant virus from being activated. It's also thought to reduce the severity of shingles should you still get it. I've had shingles, very painful. I cannot get the vaccine due to medical contraindications.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/vis/do ... ingles.pdf

Dude, my mom was symptomatic with polio as a child and has post-polio syndrome that has left her completely wheelchair bound and unable to live on her own. Definitely less treatable 'tho. :(

But you know, you could get AUTISM FROM THE VACCINE.

Seriously, I'm so sick of the anti vaxxers. It really aggravates me. A LOT. And they had the fucking temerity to tell me that I should "read up on how mild Polio generally IS". *head explodey* :roll:

Archived