IGNORED

Investigation Discovery announces 4-part documentary on IFB "Let Us Prey: A Ministry of Scandals"

nolongerIFBx

• 2 weeks later...

I watched the two hours that were on last night.

I felt like the person who originally investigated this mess (existing mess, not the journalist investigating) presented IFB churches as one interconnected network. From a *sort of* raised IFB background - the interconnected network she investigated (so far) in the first two hours was the portion of IFB pastors and churches that spun around the Hyles (Hyles Anderson College and FBCHammond) group of IFB churches, and that is definitely an interconnected network of IFB churches, whose pastors were "educated" (loose terminology) at HAC. As far as beliefs ("doctrine") taught at HAC - my impression has been that it's more about what I would call "culture war" issues than about religious doctrine.

There are, however, IFB churches that are not part of the HAC network. The major grouping criteria, as far as I can see, tends to be where their pastors either were educated, or where they promote sending their high school graduates off to "college". They exist outside of HAC networking. This documentary may move on outside the HAC network in the remaining portions of this short series. We will see.

The actual definition of an IFB church is that no organization outside that church has authority over that church. That's what the "Independent" means. One of the things that the author of the documentary laid out really well is that - in the network she investigated - there is no de facto independence; the interconnected network spins around HAC/FBCH leadership.

A bit of personal experience: Even though (Thank God, and I don't say that lightly) I was an adult with my degree from a public university and only my first college year at Bob Jones University that I view as completely unrelated to HAC - my birth family had moved after I was on my own. My dad had selected as their new church a HAC network church - I think my dad didn't "get" that part - and that church's pastor was a HAC true believer. My "baby" sister was both abused in that church's little "Christian school" and also abused multiple times during her one term at HAC and she carries that weight to this day. So yes, I have opinions about this mess.

I hope this makes some sense - and I would like to see plenty of light, and plenty of enforcement shed on the whole mess.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 12

I am SO sorry about your sister, @apple1.  Although heartbreaking and devastating, it is also unsurprising. I agree with/hope that these perpetrators "will have much to answer for some day." 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

41 minutes ago, ChickenettiLuvr said:

I am SO sorry about your sister, @apple1.  Although heartbreaking and devastating, it is also unsurprising. I agree with/hope that these perpetrators "will have much to answer for some day." 

Thank you. I just had her at my house for Thanksgiving and she also watched. Even now, the history is difficult.

• Love 9

I forgot it was going to be on, but caught some of the midnight-2:00 AM showing by chance. I've made a note (and set an alarm!) to remind me to watch part 2 at 9:00 tonight.

I'm so glad the abuse is being brought to light.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

Without names, I am going to copy what my sister posted elsewhere, as documentation how long-lasting the harm caused by the offenders is:

Watching Let Us Prey on ID. What does it say when you immediately recognize Jack Hyles voice during the intro without seeing him on screen? The time I spent there was the most horrific of my 58 years. The whole subject of doubting your salvation was solely for them to count numbers. Btw, if you intend to support him with comments this isn't the place. More than once, while attending HAC, I was touched in an inappropriate manner. When I reported it, I was given demerits. So, this isn't the place. I believe today in spite of that experience and others.

Abusing a position of trust is horrid but the worst is when people believe the pastor over the abused female. I was first in that position when I was 17. It's a really long story. It starts with my local pastor and school administrator encouraging teenage boys to be abusive and I ended up with a concussion 3 times. My glasses were broken. That doesn't even address the touching. It's (the documentary) worth the watch even if just for knowledge.

• Sad 6
  • Thank You 6