IGNORED

Josh and Anna 57: Singing the I'm Stuck in the SHU Blues

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, Jana814 said:

I can definitely see Josh going to strip club. Didn’t he go to one. 

If he did, it would probably be when they lived in DC. Since it’s bigger and maybe thought he had more anonymity. 

• Upvote 5

On 9/15/2023 at 9:46 AM, Queen Of Hearts said:

I think Michelle is pretty much done with Josh, too.  I got that impression by her lack of support/showing up at his trial. But after reading Jill's book and hearing some of Michelle's reactions to Josh I feel even more strongly that she is pretty disgusted with him.

I remember reading JB&M experienced severe conflict way back over JB's support for Josh in his cheating scandal. As I recall, Meech was totally icked out and disgusted.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Cults-r-us said:

I remember reading JB&M experienced severe conflict way back over JB's support for Josh in his cheating scandal. As I recall, Meech was totally icked out and disgusted.

Interesting. Do you remember more?

• Thank You 1

On 9/15/2023 at 12:09 PM, viii said:

I personally doubt Michelle is questioning anything, I think she got the narrative she did because a) Jill still has a relationship with her mom and didn't want to torpedo it and b) I could see the editor wanting Jill to focus on one villain - aka Jim Bob. 

I'm still on hold (library wait list is wild) but I remember, very vaguely, in on episode of 19KAC Michelle makes a comment about how the husband is the head of the family but the woman is the neck. I think, based on the snippets I've seen from CTC, she really believes that. She may disagree with Jim Bob, and she may even occasionally subvert him (e.g. slipping documents under Jill's door, snapping at Josh when Jim Bob wasn't bringing that kind of energy) but it will never, ever be more than that. To me, her whole "the woman is the neck" completely aligns with this narrative she's gotten from Jill and it seems really realistic. 

I suspect she has some serious disagreements with Jim Bob re: Josh but that only really matters to Michelle and her internal sense of self because, well, obviously, she's beyond complicit and she has made no effort to change that. The "woman is the neck" philosophy may very well be a good survival strategy in an older world or for an even more isolated family or for a family where a woman cannot safely or financially leave, but Michelle has a national platform and a lot of gall to speak out about every thing on earth (beer at the gas station!!) except the actions of her own son.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2

46 minutes ago, Antimony said:

I'm still on hold (library wait list is wild) but I remember, very vaguely, in on episode of 19KAC Michelle makes a comment about how the husband is the head of the family but the woman is the neck. I think, based on the snippets I've seen from CTC, she really believes that. She may disagree with Jim Bob, and she may even occasionally subvert him (e.g. slipping documents under Jill's door, snapping at Josh when Jim Bob wasn't bringing that kind of energy) but it will never, ever be more than that. To me, her whole "the woman is the neck" completely aligns with this narrative she's gotten from Jill and it seems really realistic. 

I suspect she has some serious disagreements with Jim Bob re: Josh but that only really matters to Michelle and her internal sense of self because, well, obviously, she's beyond complicit and she has made no effort to change that. The "woman is the neck" philosophy may very well be a good survival strategy in an older world or for an even more isolated family or for a family where a woman cannot safely or financially leave, but Michelle has a national platform and a lot of gall to speak out about every thing on earth (beer at the gas station!!) except the actions of her own son.

Although FJ has often used that phrase to describe Michelle, I have no recollection of her saying it on the show, and it would be considered wildly inappropriate in their patriarchal culture.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Antimony said:

The "woman is the neck" philosophy may very well be a good survival strategy in an older world or for an even more isolated family or for a family where a woman cannot safely or financially leave, but Michelle has a national platform and a lot of gall to speak out about every thing on earth (beer at the gas station!!) except the actions of her own son.

Isn’t that the truth! She’s so detached from the true reality of her own life. She fails to see the hypocrisy of it.

• Upvote 4

17 hours ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

I agree that I could easily imagine Josh at a strip club, but not JB.  He doesn't respect women - there are only two things he really cares about.  His image and money.  He would never spend money to willfully destroy his image.

When I read the bolded sentence, it immediately popped into my brain: an image of Jim Bob at a strip club, trying to put coins into the stripper's G-string.

• Haha 14

4 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Although FJ has often used that phrase to describe Michelle, I have no recollection of her saying it on the show, and it would be considered wildly inappropriate in their patriarchal culture.

I cannot prove it (short of the worst re-watch experience ever), but for what it's worth, my memory is of her saying this in an interview splice and she says it in the usual keep-sweet way, a little flirty, and in a way that made the impression on me (if I didn't imagine this) that she reads into this only as far as she could push Jim Bob to care about something, notice something, etc. but not much more. It was a strange mixture of her soft voice, keep-sweet, and a hint of cheekiness. I've never seen My Big Fat Greek Wedding (is this one of those movies one is supposed to have seen? Does this change people's perception of my cultural literacy?) and I wasn't raised in a culture that ever said this. 

It does sound like something that could be watered down enough to fit Fundamentalism and presented and whispered at a Ladies group, to me at least. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

21 hours ago, Father Son Holy Goat said:

Interesting. Do you remember more?

No, it was a tabloid covering the Josh cheating scandal. It said it put a stress on their marriage.

• I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

17 hours ago, viii said:

Isn’t that a quote from my big fat Greek wedding 😂😂

It is and for those who haven’t seen it I highly recommend it. It’s a very cute, inoffensive movie.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 6

Great movie, although the sequel was a Big Fat Greek Disappointment. And now they've made a 3rd? Waiting to hear how bad it is before watching.

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, Antipatriarch said:

Great movie, although the sequel was a Big Fat Greek Disappointment. And now they've made a 3rd? Waiting to hear how bad it is before watching.

I heard the 2nd movie was bad. I’m surprised they made a 3rd. 

Edited by Jana814
  • Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

5 hours ago, marmalade said:

Happy 15th anniversary! I wonder if Anna made it to Seagoville today?

How…romantic?

I’ve been rewatching old episodes on YouTube to try to figure out how I ever got sucked into this family. On Josh and Anna’s honeymoon episode, Josh said something about how on the honeymoon the food would be fancy but after life would be significantly less fancy. That may have been the only true thing Josh ever said to Anna.

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 2

Bear with me, I had insomnia last night and have questions re Anna and Ms.

Things I remember from comments on this board (correct any that are erroneous). Anna and crew moved back to the TTH. Anna is spending large chunks of time in TX. If this is true, where is she staying? Are the kids being managed by Jana and Michelle? Are those 2 women basically raising 7 more children? IIRC, Michelle recently mentioned that she hoped to always have a “toddler” in her home. Does Jana still live at the TTH? If Anna is still in AR and actively parenting her children, what is Michelle doing to fill her time?

As much as I agree with privacy for the sake of all the minor children, I wish someone would give brief updates on major life changes. Nothing in-depth, no photos, but just brief family updates: For ex- Jana is working at the local nursery and has a beautiful garden. Joe and Kendra have added twins to their family, Michelle is busy with little ones underfoot  etc…

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Michelle recently mentioned that she hoped to always have a “toddler” in her home.

Michelle has always been a baby collector, handing them off as soon as they get to the age where the work of parenting them outranks the cuteness factor. Also she is a mother. Like, that's her identity. Mom of a herd. Jana manages to have hobbies, but I imagine Michelle gets a little antsy if there's not a small child around, not knowing what to do with herself. So I could see the M kids spending plenty of time at the TTH being raised by grandma auntie-moms. I've always thought Michelle would have been better off collecting Reborn dolls or something.

I'd really personally like to be a fly on the wall for a couple days of Anna's life. What does she do? Is she really desperately pining for Josh or has she settled into a routine? How the heck does she not work and yet not only feed and clothe her brood but travel to visit Josh in prison all the time? And if it's Jim Bob, why exactly is he willing to do that? And how long does he plan to keep that up? 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Bear with me, I had insomnia last night and have questions re Anna and Ms.

Things I remember from comments on this board (correct any that are erroneous). Anna and crew moved back to the TTH. Anna is spending large chunks of time in TX. If this is true, where is she staying? Are the kids being managed by Jana and Michelle? Are those 2 women basically raising 7 more children? IIRC, Michelle recently mentioned that she hoped to always have a “toddler” in her home. Does Jana still live at the TTH? If Anna is still in AR and actively parenting her children, what is Michelle doing to fill her time?

As much as I agree with privacy for the sake of all the minor children, I wish someone would give brief updates on major life changes. Nothing in-depth, no photos, but just brief family updates: For ex- Jana is working at the local nursery and has a beautiful garden. Joe and Kendra have added twins to their family, Michelle is busy with little ones underfoot  etc…

Given the reports of bullying at David Waller’s church it’s fair to assume Anna is spending a lot of time in Texas and at least some of her kids are with her. 

Edited by Father Son Holy Goat
  • Upvote 9

5 hours ago, Father Son Holy Goat said:

Given the reports of bullying at David Waller’s church it’s fair to assume Anna is spending a lot of time in Texas and at least some of her kids are with her. 

oh please expand or is it in the waller thread?

• Upvote 2

Toddlers are so much fun - I could see always wanting frequent toddler time, although preferred if they belong to other people than me.  I have my limits, but boy making them laugh is so easy and fun.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 6

14 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

I think discussion of that is in the Duggars by the Dozen thread. I remember seeing it but all the Duggar threads run together for me.

• Thank You 1

14 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

From the Duggars By the Dozen thread, “… some of it has been physical. Waller is apparently all in for the felon, and many families have left the church. All alleged, of course.”

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 3

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic