IGNORED

2022 Voting Check-In

47of74

3 minutes ago, Destiny said:

I really don't understand this. I understand that I'm probably a weirdo outlier, but I pay zero attention to political advertising (other than presenting a finger at Trump signs when appropriate). I really do not understand how people make up their minds based on spam, be it ads, texts, or whatever else.

All you need to get my vote is have a website where I can read your opinions and obviously share at least a decent majority of my values. Your ads have no power over me! Bwhahahahah.

To be honest, if I was brainwashed or dropped on my head or something and for some reason was Republican - I would still NOT have voted for Budd just BECAUSE of how his ads and campaign were 100% mudslinging and no actual substance whatsoever. Like that is TACKY. And uncouth. And all those things that give old Southern ladies the vapors and make them say "well bless his little heart" and then gossip about the lack of quality of his upbringing and how someone said they saw his mama one time wearing white dress shoes in December.  

Like I could not imagine someone so blatantly insulting and awful getting votes from anyone with a sense of decorum. But with an R behind his name and a black woman as his opponent, there you go.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 4

24 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

As best I can tell, the entirety of his campaign was "don't vote for the scary black lady." 

A variation of this probably got Ron Johnson re-elected in WI. It appealed to the big red rump of rural WI where RoJoʻs ads were all about scary (= Black) Mandela Barnes & all the crime heʻs unleashed as state AG. 

And letʻs have a shout-out for the Great Lake State! Well done, you bad ass Michigan ladies! And the legislature flipped from R to D! 

Finally, letʻs have a shout-out and thank you to the 5 states that voted in some form on reproductive freedom -- every one of them, including KY & MT, said NO to forced birth and YES to reproductive freedom.

Edited by hoipolloi
Clarity
  • Upvote 12

California and Vermont were foregone conclusions, but nice to codify it for posterity.  

• I Agree 11

40 minutes ago, Destiny said:

really do not understand how people make up their minds based on spam, be it ads, texts, or whatever else.

It's name recognition. People like you and me aren't who they are targeting. The campaign spam is targeting people who are too busy, too undereducated, too tired to really put much effort in. The mailers serve two purposes - to get people to recognize names, and to let people know there is an election coming up. I am, apparently, an outlier, even at my job that has someone on staff dedicated to legislative affairs, in that I know who is running for what, what each job is and the duties as per the Alaska State Constitution and the US Constitution. My neighbors who rent have kids and are nice enough? That's who the signs are for. They see my signs, my other neighbors signs, and they think "oh, my neighbors are voting for Peltola, I want to fit in." (But you know, subconsciously.)  

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, Travlr98 said:

Florida is a great state. They also have a great governor.  

I'm sure they will welcome you with wide open arms. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 4