IGNORED

Gilead is Real - The War on Women and Abortion Part 3

GreyhoundFan

19 hours ago, Xan said:

This is all still about control of women.  Next up is getting rid of birth control.  Friends, Gilead is here.

Absolutely.  IUDs prevent implantation of a fertilized egg. It’s not a big leap from this ruling to attacking birth control. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 8

WRONG! Many of us are furious and plan to vote against these yahoos.

• Upvote 7
  • WTF 2

Another example of their actions speak louder than their words.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 5

1 hour ago, GreyhoundFan said:

WRONG! Many of us are furious and plan to vote against these yahoos.

Shhh... don't tell them. Just for a few months, let them believe that women are stupid. The more abhorrent they get, the more people will see that they will personally be affected themselves, even 'Republican' women-- and the more they will be voted out come November.

• Upvote 7

More lies from Lindsey:

• Upvote 6
  • Eyeroll 1

Newsom is smartly using his leftover PAC funds.

• Upvote 9

The Handmaid’s Tale come to life :

• Angry 1
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 9

It’s not just Missouri:

• Upvote 4
  • WTF 3

Alabama is getting worse:

• Upvote 3
  • Disgust 1
  • WTF 4

More shenanigans:

• Upvote 5

• 2 weeks later...

What a total asshole:

image.thumb.png.31e79f8972a66183bf0a0759030cf208.png

• Disgust 3
  • WTF 4

Are married women supposed to put the aspirin "between their knees" too?  Or are they just supposed to have baby after baby?  

Maybe someone should suggest that he needs a vasectomy because someone this mean and stupid doesn't need to reproduce.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

I have no doubt that we're he 40 years younger he'd be an incel, and angry that no one wanted to date, let alone marry him.

4 minutes ago, Xan said:

Are married women supposed to put the aspirin "between their knees" too?  Or are they just supposed to have baby after baby?  

Good point - someone should ask him if he believes in celibacy in marriage as birth control.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 8

Such a charmer.  Oh, it gets better - from Wikipedia:

In 2001, Borrelli was charged with "class 1 misdemeanor assault with domestic violence" after an altercation with his then-wife; he pleaded guilty to "class 1 misdemeanor disorderly conduct charge tagged with domestic violence", and served 1 day in prison. He subsequently explained that his then-wife had been experiencing a "meltdown" and "psychotic episode", that her injuries had been self-inflicted, and that he had plea-bargained because otherwise he risked losing custody of his son.

• Thank You 9

4 hours ago, Becky said:

He subsequently explained that his then-wife had been experiencing a "meltdown" and "psychotic episode", that her injuries had been self-inflicted, and that he had plea-bargained because otherwise he risked losing custody of his son.

Sure Jan.

• Upvote 8

• 3 weeks later...

Another GQPer who wants Gilead:

• Upvote 4
  • WTF 3

I had to stop myself from throwing things at the screen when I watched this video:

• Angry 4
  • Disgust 3
  • WTF 2

I am at a loss to describe how much I despise this man:

• Upvote 6

9 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

I am at a loss to describe how much I despise this man:

So.... TFG is lying.  In other news, the sky is blue and water is wet.  

• Upvote 8

On 2/23/2024 at 6:39 PM, Xan said:

This is all still about control of women.  Next up is getting rid of birth control.  Friends, Gilead is here.

The writing was on the wall. Gutting Roe was the first step. I‘m wondering how long it takes until women are only allowed an education or a job with the permission from the father/husband.

• Upvote 8

5 hours ago, Smash! said:

The writing was on the wall. Gutting Roe was the first step. I‘m wondering how long it takes until women are only allowed an education or a job with the permission from the father/husband.

I guess that puts my stepdad who I acquired when I was well into my 40s or my younger brother in charge of me as my dad is deceased and I've never had a husband. (I have known my stepdad my whole life as he's a member of the church that I grew up in.)

• Upvote 4

Arizona has decided to take us back to the 1800s. "Arizona Supreme Court ruling clears way for near-total abortion ban"

Arizona’s conservative Supreme Court on Tuesday revived a near-total ban on abortion, invoking an 1864 law that forbids the procedure except to save a mother’s life and punishes providers with prison time.

The 4-2 decision supersedes the previous rule, which guarded the right to end a pregnancy by the 15-week mark, resetting policy to the pre-Roe v. Wade era and adding Arizona to the roster of 16 other states where abortion is virtually outlawed.

The ruling cannot be enforced for 14 days, the judges wrote, during which Planned Parenthood Arizona, as a party to the court case, could raise constitutionality questions before a lower court. And because of a separate ruling in a parallel case that sets a second clock ticking, the organization expects to provide abortion services through May, officials said during a Tuesday briefing.

Under the 1864 territorial law, which went into effect 48 years before Arizona became a state, anyone who administers an abortion could face a mandatory prison sentence of two to five years. That could compel Arizona’s licensed abortion clinics to ramp down dramatically or shutter — though it’s unclear how the decision will be enforced.

The attorney general in charge of overseeing abortion laws, Democrat Kris Mayes, has vowed not to enforce any bans. Her decision, however, could be challenged at the county level.

Eight of Arizona’s nine abortion clinics temporarily closed two years ago when the U.S. Supreme Court struck down Roe, ending national protections for abortion rights.

The legal upheaval comes as reproductive-rights advocates push for a November ballot measure that would protect access to abortion in the Arizona state constitution. Campaigners have already gathered more than enough signatures to qualify, according to the Arizona Republic.

“Arizonans deserve the right to make our own decisions about pregnancy and abortion without politicians and judges interfering,” said Chris Love, a Phoenix lawyer and spokeswoman for the ballot measure campaign.

Doctors across the country have complained that the post-Roe landscape of restrictions makes it hard to know when they can legally intervene to save a pregnant person’s life. Waiting too long, some have argued, could lead to permanent damage, including infertility.

“We will see more women who are told to wait in the parking lot or go back home until they are sicker, closer to death, to receive health care,” said Jill Habig, president of the Public Rights Project, which represented the county attorney opposing the ban.

Marjorie Dannenfelser, president of the antiabortion group SBA Pro-Life America, called the court’s decision an “enormous victory.”

“Today’s state Supreme Court decision is a major advancement in the fight for life in Arizona,” she said in a statement.

Critics of the November campaign to enshrine abortion rights in Arizona skipped over a response to the court judgment Tuesday, writing that “reasonable people can have different opinions on abortion and policy.”

A proposed amendment that “expands abortion beyond what voters support is not the answer,” Leisa Brug, campaign manager for that movement, said in a statement.

The question of abortion legality landed before Arizona’s Supreme Court after the state’s former attorney general, a Republican, asked the justices to restore the 160-year-old ban, setting off a litigation battle with Planned Parenthood.

Jill Gibson, chief medical officer for Planned Parenthood Arizona, said she was seeing patients at a clinic in Tempe when the ruling sparked “an atmosphere of chaos.”

The impact could worsen physician shortages in the state, she said: Confusion over what doctors can do and when without risking prison could motivate them to relocate to states without restrictions.

“It just completely wreaks havoc on our ability to do our jobs,” Gibson said, “and patients are going to be the ones that suffer.”

Arizona’s court judgment follows a move by Florida’s right-leaning Supreme Court to all but prohibit abortion, effective next month. In a separate decision, however, the high court in Tallahassee allowed an amendment enshrining the right to the procedure to go on the November ballot.

The justices behind the Arizona decision, four men and two women, were all appointed by Republicans. A fifth male judge had recused himself after reporters resurfaced a Facebook post in which he called abortion “the greatest genocide known to man.” Their views Tuesday did not split by gender: The majority opinion was supported by one woman and three male justices, while a male and female justice dissented.

Since the fall of Roe v. Wade, the fate of abortion access has roused the left, boosting Democratic turnout practically everywhere the issue has been on the ballot and putting Republicans, from presumptive presidential nominee Donald Trump on down, in a defensive posture.

In a statement soon after the court released its decision, President Biden cast it in dire terms.

“Millions of Arizonans will soon live under an even more extreme and dangerous abortion ban, which fails to protect women even when their health is at risk or in tragic cases of rape or incest,” Biden’s statement said. “This cruel ban was first enacted in 1864 — more than 150 years ago, before Arizona was even a state and well before women had secured the right to vote.”

Most Americans disagree with revoking the option to end a pregnancy, and swelling numbers of political moderates have indicated in surveys that the issue is likely to influence which candidates they support.

Republicans felt the sting last November when five states across the political spectrum voted on abortion referendums, and each one elected to maintain access.

Trump urged his party this week to step away from the goal of a national abortion ban, at least through the election, igniting public clashes with some of his GOP allies.

“We cannot let our Country suffer any further damage by losing Elections on an issue that should always have been decided by the States,” he wrote in a social media post.

• Disgust 2
  • WTF 2
  • Thank You 5

Two old white men laughing about taking away women's rights:

• Upvote 4
  • Disgust 4

8 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Arizona’s conservative Supreme Court on Tuesday revived a near-total ban on abortion, invoking an 1864 law that forbids the procedure except to save a mother’s life and punishes providers with prison time.

1864, ffs here. I really hope that Az is a clean sweep (I know, I know - I can dream) just to get rid of all these assholes who want to live in a perfect patriarchy in an incorrectly assumed perfect past. 

• Upvote 7

3 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

1864, ffs here. I really hope that Az is a clean sweep (I know, I know - I can dream) just to get rid of all these assholes who want to live in a perfect patriarchy in an incorrectly assumed perfect past. 

Joy Reid on MSNBC was talking about how Arizona wasn’t a state when this law was written. Also, the same year, the marriage age for girls was lowered to 10 and black people weren’t allowed to testify against white people. So, in other words, a GQP dream land. It makes me sick. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1