IGNORED

Gilead Is Real: The War On Abortion And Women's Rights 2

GreyhoundFan

14 minutes ago, Ozlsn said:

Also if pregnancy crisis centres want to cosplay as healthcare they should be forced to abide by HIPAA regulations.

HIPAA may be screwed up, even in genuine medical facilities, by this. I started to google "what happens to HIPAA" and it auto-finished with "if Roe is overturned," so I guess I'm not alone in wondering about that.

I found some articles, but haven't had the heart to read much yet.

https://www.natlawreview.com/article/pendulum-swings-both-ways-state-responses-to-protect-reproductive-health-data-post

https://www.consumerreports.org/health-privacy/what-does-the-overturn-of-roe-v-wade-mean-for-you-a1957506408/

https://www.consumerreports.org/health-privacy/guess-what-hipaa-isnt-a-medical-privacy-law-a2469399940/

Edited by thoughtful
adding more links
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 7

I can't think about it too much or I start feeling like I'm going to throw up.

Both of my daughters (in their early 20's) know they don't want kids.  I'm going to encourage them to get sterilized by anyone who will do it ASAP (they both have talked about it repeatedly in the past).  I'm also going to keep encouraging my son, DIL and grandson to move out of the country before he gets to be school age.  I'd miss him terribly, but if he grew up somewhere else more sane I'd be so happy for him.  

• Upvote 6
  • Love 10

20 minutes ago, Anne Of Gray Gables said:

I think birth control is the next logical move for them.  Sodomy can wait til next year.

Oh I'm sure they're formulating test cases to try to get both in front of SCOTUS ASAP as I type this comment. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 10

1 minute ago, danvillebelle said:

I'm going to encourage them to get sterilized by anyone who will do it ASAP (they both have talked about it repeatedly in the past).

the childfree sub on reddit has a list of doctors who will do it without the "you'll change your mind", "what if Mr Right wants babies?" etc bingoes. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 2

I have nieces I am concerned about. But even more so, I have great nieces & cousins I am fearful for. There are five little girls between 1 & 4, running around in my head, and I cannot stop their dance. I fear for their futures. 

I also fear for the future of LGBTQ+ people of any age. 

What's next? They lose their rights, Women lose birth control (Thomas has already mentioned the contraception "argument"). How are they going to enforce women crossing state lines to go to states where abortions are legal? What lengths will they go to? 

The Supreme Court has lost all respect & credibility. Not only from me and however many other Americans, but by the world. The responses from US Allies are heartbreaking in that they had to be stated at all. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 8

The suicide rate for women of childbearing age is going to spike in the states that made it illegal.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 11
  • I Agree 4

6 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

I rarely drink alcohol, but I turned on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine a few minutes following the release of the ruling.

I’m at the general order 24 stage of anger right now. 

734823E1-D7BD-47EF-915A-2F4CAD862548.thumb.jpeg.b27cb852a16b9b27fd15c0549f1b13d5.jpeg

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 3

My Mother was a Jane. She would house before and care for the women afterward. I remember her going to the train or bus station to pick them up, we were told that they were daughters of her nursing friends. I believed her it was not until Roe was passed 50 years ago I was 20 she told me about her and our neighbor activities. We had a great discussion about it and why? Today she is still alive, her comment was Janes will form again. Women need those services and for them to be safe, clean and rare. At 94 I can see her starting a Jane circle.

Abortions have stopped in AZ.

• Upvote 9
  • Sad 4
  • Love 1

There are already Janes starting up on twitter. I have no doubt it will get more organised and go off-line as much as possible.

I am still shocked but not surprised - and really, really angry. Perhaps the 2nd amendment nuts are right - it's time to overthrow these godawful governments.

• Upvote 9

I honestly don't understand how the separation of church and state didn't prevent this ruling.

Maybe this SCOTUS simply disregarded that fundamental principle of American government?

Or maybe they refused to see the inherent religious basis for the belief that fetuses are "sacred" to such an extent that they outweigh the concept of bodily autonomy?

Or am I missing something else?

• Upvote 7

Don't want to sound alarmist, but perhaps women of childbearing age who want to control their childbearing should start stocking up on birth control now.  No telling how long the "morning after" pill (as an example) might be readily available.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 2
  • WTF 1

1 minute ago, Dandruff said:

Don't want to sound alarmist, but perhaps women of childbearing age who want to control their childbearing should start stocking up on birth control now.  No telling how long the "morning after" pill (as an example) might be readily available.

Along with encouraging their significant others to get snipped if they both don't want children.  Get it now before the supreme catholic court comes up with some excuse to also make it illegal.

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 1

Far as I'm concerned this was a terrorist attack

At least one person got hit by a truck during a downtown protest in Cedar Rapids on Friday evening.

Cedar Rapids Police said it happened near the courthouse, in the area of a rally supporting abortion access and reproductive freedom. Indivisible Iowa and Planned Parenthood Advocates of Iowa organized the rally in response to the United States Supreme Court's decision to overturn Roe v. Wade.

Iowa Author Lyz Lenz posted photos and videos on twitter of the truck hitting protesters.

Fuck KCRG and the Cedar Rapids police for trying to say this was an unfortunate accident.

• Upvote 5
  • WTF 6

5 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

Far as I'm concerned this was a terrorist attack

Fuck KCRG and the Cedar Rapids police for trying to say this was an unfortunate accident.

Video here, in case anyone is picturing a brief swerve that accidentally caught a foot. He kept going, with the women in front of his truck, running backwards to keep from falling under it.

• WTF 7

The Supreme Court ruling makes me sick to my stomach and scared this fundie wave will swamp Canada. I've been thinking of one ultrasound I did recently. I found  a live ectopic pregnancy. The patient was treated promptly and will be fine. How sad that in some states this kind of thing will be just one more tragedy. 

• Upvote 14

All I can think about is the women who are being and will continue to be prosecuted for a miscarriage or stillbirth, or forced to carry a fetus with a terminal defect to term, or who will die from life-threatening pregnancy complications that won't be treated because the fetus still has a heartbeat.  I'm glad I don't want kids, it made my decision to get sterilized in the lead-up to this really simple, but I can't imagine the calculus that now has to go into the decision to get pregnant even if you want kids because you may still wind up in prison or dead. 

• Upvote 10

Trump has weighed in, piece of shit that he is:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.5b0bc24737a441ff27f60db9242ddf20.png

You aren't fighting for anyone but yourself, Donald, and I'm hoping you'll be behind bars soon.

• Disgust 5
  • Eyeroll 3
  • I Agree 1

Just now, thoughtful said:

Hide contents

You aren't fighting for anyone but yourself, Donald, and I'm hoping you'll be behind bars soon.

And how many abortions have you paid for, Donnie? I remember that you tried to have Tiffany aborted.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

3 minutes ago, thoughtful said:

Hide contents

I simply do not understand how anyone can take him seriously.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4

Someone is saying the quiet parts out loud. The article is fairly lengthy but it's an interesting read and I thought this was the most important and scariest part. Today is not just the ending of Roe v Wade but it is the beginning of trying to take the fight to states that we think are reliably pro-choice.

The woman who brought down Roe vs. Wade wants to take abortion battle to California

https://www.yahoo.com/news/woman-brought-down-roe-vs-222013366.html

Spoiler

We will build broad support for the most protective laws for unborn children and assistance for their mothers in every single state. That's about 30 states where it's in play and 20 where there’s very little chance and it would require federal legislation.

Spoiler

You’ve done all this work to stop women from getting abortions. What are you doing to help women in red states who get pregnant and may not have the financial resources and support to care for their children?

We've been working on a particular program for the last few years [Her Pregnancy and Life Assistance Network, or Her PLAN, which aims to help pregnant women find the medical and material support they need to continue pregnancy]. I've talked to, so far, 22 governors about the need to meet women where they are and make sure that we are comprehensive in how we serve them.

You didn't answer the question. Notice this says "her plan which aims to help pregnant women find the medical and material support they need to continue their pregnancy." What are you going to do after the baby is born? How is giving the mother a package or two of diapers going to be enough to make it economically feasible to keep the child in diapers until potty training? How do you support child care for working mothers whose families have now grown larger than what they feel they can care for? How do you support mother's mental health? Are you going to be there when the child is sick or needs something and the mom needs to make a choice between taking care of the child's need, even something is basic as food or diapers, and paying the rent so there is a roof over the child's head? If the mother's living situation deteriorates due to domestic violence are you going to help the mother find a safe place to live and the financial support to raise her child or children?

I just had to add one more quote. For those of us who live in reliably blue states that have either in their constitution or past laws to guarantee the right of a woman to choose her own health care, that may not last.

Spoiler

But your aim is to see abortion banned across America — in states such as California and New York?

Well, if you think that every abortion is the death of a child — like I do — you definitely want to save every child. And serve every mother.

I have completely had it with these forced birth morons.

(Note that I did not quote the entire article because it was quite long but did include the link.)

Edited by Audrey2
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 9

18 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

And how many abortions have you paid for, Donnie? I remember that you tried to have Tiffany aborted.

And what about the million or so lives lost in the US to COVID-19 under his so-called watch?

• Upvote 8

3 hours ago, church_of_dog said:

I honestly don't understand how the separation of church and state didn't prevent this ruling.

Maybe this SCOTUS simply disregarded that fundamental principle of American government?

Or maybe they refused to see the inherent religious basis for the belief that fetuses are "sacred" to such an extent that they outweigh the concept of bodily autonomy?

Or am I missing something else?

As far as they are concerned the separation of church and state was a mistake, as America is a "Christian" country. So they are just realigning with their belief model, which insists that Real Americans are white, Evangelical,  Republican and heterosexual. They don't want a democracy, or a Republic - they want essentially what the leadership in Iran and Afghanistan want - themselves installed at the top of a tiny apex of power with all others subservient to their desires.

If it keeps going the way it's looking there could be trouble with the Real True Christians factionalising as someone said upthread- because that's never happened in history before.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic