IGNORED

(CW: CSA) Josh & Anna 43: Defense Rested After an Expert Witness with No Expertise

HerNameIsBuffy

52 minutes ago, AuntKrazy said:

JB platform/on the issues:

"Parent’s Rights

Parents know best for their children, not the government! I will fight for parents to get to decide where their children go to school and for their hard-earned tax dollars to follow the children, and I will fight tirelessly to ensure that parents, not the government, control their children’s healthcare."

from https://www.jimbobduggar.com/on-the-issues/

The above seem buzzwords to me about CPS investigations into families, imho.

It’s about vouchers being allowed to pay for private religious schools and - more importantly for the current political climate - prohibiting Covid vaxx mandates in public schools - you know the ones that his children and grandchildren don’t go to because Jesus or whatever.

• Upvote 23
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

31 minutes ago, fundiesarefascinating said:

I can't even wrap my brain around what sort of conversation Anna and Smuggar would have when they are finally alone this evening. Completely unfathomable to me. 

Want a BJ honey? It will help you relax.

• Downvote 2
  • Disgust 10
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Eyeroll 2
  • WTF 3
  • Haha 6

We also prolonged for lunch when I was a juror. I was getting paid like $5/day, my job didn’t give me jury duty pay because I wasn’t technically full time, and we were stuck there for an 11 day trial! Yes, we demanded a lunch before giving a verdict. 

• Upvote 17
  • Love 1

53 minutes ago, HermioneSparrow said:

No, she doesn't. She's willingly staying with a pedophile and putting her children at risk. She's a grown ass woman who knows what her husband does and still she's by his side instead of running the hell outta there. Anna doesn't love her children as much as Michelle and Jim bob don't love theirs. 

You can love your children and still be a crappy parent. You can love your children and be in denial. YOu can love your children and make terrible decisions on their behalf.

• Upvote 18
  • Downvote 1
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 6

1 minute ago, Hera said:

It’s about vouchers being allowed to pay for private religious schools and - more importantly for the current political climate - prohibiting Covid vaxx mandates in public schools - you know the ones that his children and grandchildren don’t go to because Jesus or whatever.

The vouchers aren’t a bad idea. Low income parents in bad school districts can send their children to a private school of their choosing. That’s only a positive! Not great it could be used for fundie schools but for the most part, it would give low income and single parents the opportunity to send their children to the best schools.

• Upvote 4
  • Move Along 1
  • Fuck You 1
  • Downvote 24
  • Bless Your Heart 4
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, AuntKrazy said:

JB platform/on the issues:

"Parent’s Rights

Parents know best for their children, not the government! I will fight for parents to get to decide where their children go to school and for their hard-earned tax dollars to follow the children, and I will fight tirelessly to ensure that parents, not the government, control their children’s healthcare."

from https://www.jimbobduggar.com/on-the-issues/

The above seem buzzwords to me about CPS investigations into families, imho.

JB has zero credibility when discussing anything related to children. Not about parents protecting children or educating children or really anything child related. He just needs to STHU, or keep talking if he reallllllllly wants to lose in a landslide.

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 23
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 4

38 minutes ago, fundiesarefascinating said:

I can't even wrap my brain around what sort of conversation Anna and Smuggar would have when they are finally alone this evening. Completely unfathomable to me. 

He’s probably too busy binge eating to talk. I watched the proposal episode not long ago, and there was a shot of his suitcase with about half a dozen cans of Pringles. He was probably looking forward to eating them in the guest trailer without having to share.

@Buzzard asked about the length of the abstention period after a girl. It’s 80 days, so not until January 11. But it’s a Gothard notion that they might consider outdated now. Josh and Anna have never confirmed that they do it.

Edited by QuiverFullofBooks
Added a thought
  • Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1
  • Love 1

November 2019 we had another person in the office of the president, there was no pandemic though almost, Josh didn't yet know that two years later he'd be sitting in court sweating out a lame defense on his worthless behalf. That raid feels forever ago. We've gotten to, more and more, expect things to come to us in an instant. This trial has flown by, but is also achingly slow. 

I saw a thread on Reddit earlier wherein people were saying probably all those Duggar family trial viewers were on Josh's side, and no one should project their own feelings onto them. The latter is always true, but I think the former is not. As someone said, he's cost them all so much, and also the age difference between many of them is significant; they are literally of different generations. I expect they don't wish prison on him but do wish he and his messes would just go away somewhere out of sight. 

• Upvote 19

So I’m back on page 1 but I wanted to comment on the Pre Sentence Investigation talk from the previous thread. It’s actually part of my job to write them. Now I’m not a federal PO but our Guidelines typically give 30 to 60 days for completion on adult cases. And 15 to 30 days on juveniles. The time frame though is reliant on how quickly they schedule we racing.

Everyone gets a PSI before sentencing and it’s up to the court to decide if the defendant gets released pending sentencing or not. we do them both on inmates and those who are ROR. Also they could continue his previous release conditions so back to the Rebers and continued EM until sentencing. If he’s being monitored by PTR they can still can still monitor with a judges order.

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 7

16 minutes ago, Hera said:

SCOTUS is leaning toward further erosion of the already thin wall between church and state.

• Upvote 8
  • Sad 3
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 6

11 minutes ago, QuiverFullOfCondoms said:

The vouchers aren’t a bad idea. Low income parents in bad school districts can send their children to a private school of their choosing. That’s only a positive! Not great it could be used for fundie schools but for the most part, it would give low income and single parents the opportunity to send their children to the best schools.

Except for the fact that they don’t care about low-income families. JB’s campaign points are all white Christian Nationalist dog-whistles.

• Upvote 31
  • I Agree 11
  • Love 3

I have been lurking off and on since 2015, especially since May,only posted once or twice, but I was wondering, if he is declared not guilty will there be support here for those who have experienced similar abuse? I am terrified he'll get off and don't know how well I'll handle it. I have been reading enough to now there are quite a few of us.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 10

27 minutes ago, Magenta said:

What was for lunch?  :D

22 minutes ago, detroitrockcity said:

A free lunch is a free lunch! Especially when you have to sit for 2 weeks in a jury.  In my city- they only feed juries when we are deliberating.  During the trial- we had to feed ourselves.  

Deliberation lunch was sandwiches from a really good deli near the courthouse. I got the impression they ordered enough for every jury in deliberations that day, and conveniently every jury continued deliberations until 1:30pm or so. We didn’t get lunch any other time, but did get paid $50/day since the trial took more than three days. Jurists only got $10/day for  shorter trials.

• Upvote 9
  • Love 3

15 minutes ago, Hera said:

It's also semi-code in circles I used to be in for things including "medical kidnapping" and movements agsinst requiring foster children to be enrolled in schools rather than homeschooled.  "parental rights" is about thinking children have too much agency of their own in our culture, imho. 

I find it appalling.

• Upvote 32
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, vicky3vicky said:

I have been lurking off and on since 2015, especially since May,only posted once or twice, but I was wondering, if he is declared not guilty will there be support here for those who have experienced similar abuse? I am terrified he'll get off and don't know how well I'll handle it. I have been reading enough to now there are quite a few of us.

“Not guilty” means the state didn’t meet their burden- it doesn’t change the fact that he’s a POS.

there is absolutely support for survivors and always will be.

• Upvote 18

9 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

No, they are a very bad idea and designed to fuck with public educaation. Vouchers take money away from public schools.  Descent private schools generally cost way more than voucher systems give, so it's still out of reach to those vouches are alleged to help. Those private schools that vouchers cover the cost generally have substandard curricula and teachers. Plus, private schools of any sort don't take just anyone. They don't provide all services. Your kid has special needs, they can just kick your kid out. 

No, sorry, vouchers fucking suck and are a conservative gimic to destroy the secular public education. 

Many public schools are abysmal. Reading, writing and math proficiencies are so low you would probably be shocked. Yet many districts spend as much if not more per pupil on public education as private school tuition. Not every private school charges $40k a year. You’d be surprised how little many charge.

So unless parents are free to choose their district and not be forced into a district, vouchers are a great option. Private schools can be made to honor IEPs and receive public funding for services. It’s like that in some states I believe.

6 minutes ago, mpheels said:

Or, rather than siphon money off already struggling school, we could give school systems the support they need so there are no bad districts.

Dumping money into the public school system has never been a solution.

• Upvote 10
  • Fuck You 13
  • Downvote 47
  • Bless Your Heart 3
  • Eyeroll 4

2 hours ago, Idlewild said:

Also, are the Rebers willing to house a convicted criminal? Is Josh a flight risk- does he have a passport and means to get away? I believe one of his brothers is a pilot with links to the Philippines.

He will have to surrender his passport if he hasn’t already. 

• Upvote 6

3 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

Public districts spend more because they have more diverse populations and have to accommodate more needs. 

And most of the states that push vouchers are also the ones that don't honor IEPs. 

I used to be pro vouchers and then I learned more about them. I also have a master's in education and taught public high school for 4 years. The shit I've seen makes me know what public schools are up against, that private schools absolutely are not. 

That’s why they should be made to honor IEPs. Every child deserves a great education, regardless of financial resources of the parents/caregivers.

• Upvote 4
  • Move Along 9
  • Fuck You 4
  • Downvote 3
  • Eyeroll 3

Is there any chance at all that the courts will allow cameras for the reading of the verdict and sentencing?  Or is that a no-no also?

• Upvote 5

Just now, QuiverFullOfCondoms said:

That’s why they should be made to honor IEPs. Every child deserves a great education, regardless of financial resources of the parents/caregivers.

Uh, did I say otherwise? Sorry, it's just a way, way more complicated issue than you are making out and really doesn't belong here. I'm not discussing this further. 

• Upvote 27
  • Downvote 1
  • Bless Your Heart 1

6 minutes ago, Chickenbutt said:

Is there any chance at all that the courts will allow cameras for the reading of the verdict and sentencing?  Or is that a no-no also?

There are no cameras in federal courtrooms. 

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 2

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic