IGNORED

Governor Ron DeSantis: You Sick and Dying Floridians Better Not Derail My POTUS Dreams!!

Cartmann99

2 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

His expression looks almost as dazed and confused as Tucker's normal expression.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 6

2 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

I hope he sticks around awhile, at least suggesting he's going to run, in order to irritate Donald.  Also, I'm amused by some of his Wile E. Coyote-type antics and am wondering whether he's going to truly sabotage himself. :popcorn2:

Meanwhile, I imagine Pence eating a small bowl of vanilla ice cream and reading a book with no foul language or interesting female characters.

• Upvote 7

On 4/24/2023 at 8:16 AM, GreyhoundFan said:

He is an odd person:

Was he going for early Jerry Lewis?

• Haha 4

https://apple.news/A-ruURlPdR8m9AvdJUtyi2Q

Disney sues Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis over control of self-governing district

The Walt Disney Company on Wednesday filed a lawsuit in federal court against Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and other state officials alleging a "targeted campaign of government retaliation," according to a statement from the entertainment giant.

Disney and DeSantis have been embroiled in a feud over Disney World's self-governing privileges in the Orlando area, which the governor and possible GOP presidential contender has threatened to revoke.

The conflict started when Disney, under former CEO Bob Chapek, criticized the Florida government for a state education law opponents have dubbed the "Don't Say Gay" bill. DeSantis signed the bill into law in March 2022.

Disney's lawsuit alleges that the a retaliation campaign was "orchestrated at every step by Governor DeSantis as punishment for Disney’s protected speech" and "now threatens Disney’s business operations, jeopardizes its economic future in the region, and violates its constitutional rights."

Poor Ron is going to wish he stayed in Japan. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

Of course he doesn’t want this info to be available. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2

On 4/26/2023 at 10:10 AM, Dandruff said:

Meanwhile, I imagine Pence eating a small bowl of vanilla ice cream and reading a book with no foul language or interesting female characters.

So not the Bible then?

Probably an Ayn Rand, those things are boring with interchangable cardboard cut outs for female characters.

• Upvote 5

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

Ronnie has just announced that Florida will start executing pedophiles.  I'd say he's jumped the shark but, as it seems they're racing to the bottom of the sewer, maybe he's crawled under the shark.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

52 minutes ago, Xan said:

Ronnie has just announced that Florida will start executing pedophiles.  I'd say he's jumped the shark but, as it seems they're racing to the bottom of the sewer, maybe he's crawled under the shark.

He is the shark.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

"How DeSantis accidentally handed Disney a potent weapon against him"

When the Walt Disney Co. went looking for evidence to feature in its new lawsuit against Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, its lawyers found much of what they needed in DeSantis’s own recently published memoir.

Buried in Disney’s complaint against DeSantis is something surprising. Numerous quotes taken from “The Courage to be Free” appear to support the company’s central allegation: that the Republican governor improperly wielded state power to punish Disney’s speech criticizing his policies, violating the First Amendment.

Memoirs by presidential aspirants often lay out a blueprint for their coming candidacies. DeSantis’s does, too. It boasts extensively about his war on Disney to advertise how he would marshal the powers of the presidency against so-called woke elites.

Disney’s lawsuit cites exactly these passages. DeSantis — who signed a law taking control of Disney’s special self-governing district, and moved to nullify the company’s efforts to work around it — repeatedly flaunts the truth: These were retaliation against Disney for opposing his “don’t say gay” law limiting classroom discussion of sex and gender.

• DeSantis’s book brags about his rapid mobilization of the state legislature to target Disney’s tax district. The same passage declares that this happened because of the company’s “support of indoctrinating young schoolchildren in woke gender identity politics.” That admits to retribution against speech opposing his legislation.
  • The book rips Disney for vowing to work to repeal the governor’s law, describing this as “a frontal assault” on it. That, too, is a description of political speech. Yet the book menacingly declares that, after this, “things got worse for Disney,” and that it would “soon find out” the truth about Florida’s war with Disney, i.e., the state would punish that speech.
  • The book describes DeSantis’s discussions with Republicans in the Florida legislature about whether they were prepared to tackle the “thorny issue involving the state’s most powerful company.” That confirms Disney was the unique target of legislative action.
  • In a companion to the book’s launch, DeSantis wrote a Wall Street Journal op-ed that explicitly discussed governmental actions against Disney as an effort to “fight back” against its “woke ideology,” which is to say, its political speech.

This is unusual, says Scott Wilkens, senior counsel at the Knight First Amendment Institute. In such lawsuits, Wilkens notes, you “often have to make inferences” about the motives driving government officials.

That makes DeSantis’s admissions remarkable. “You have pretty clear statements from Governor DeSantis that he is seeking to punish a corporation for its speech,” Wilkens told me. “That’s prohibited by the First Amendment.”

On that basis and others, Disney is asking the courts to halt DeSantis’s assault. To get around the obvious First Amendment problem, DeSantis insists his moves were legitimate because they targeted special Disney privileges originally created by government.

But that doesn’t justify the revocation of those privileges specifically as retaliation for speech, as David French argues in the New York Times. French notes that Disney’s case is strong and raises serious First Amendment questions in spite of government’s role in initially creating its unique arrangement. (Note: Most liberals don’t think Disney deserves these privileges, just that government shouldn’t nix them to chill its speech.)

Which points to another way DeSantis might have undermined himself. Because Disney’s case is real, it will likely end up in discovery, says Lee Kovarsky, a law professor at the University of Texas at Austin. That could yield damaging internal communications that undercut DeSantis’s excuse that this was just about revoking Disney’s special privileges in the name of good governance.

“Discovery will probably show that the real reason was viewpoint motivated,” Kovarsky told me, adding dryly: “I doubt it will show that this was a principled business response to Disney’s long-standing governance carveout.”

DeSantis and his advisers had good reason to calculate that boasting about his war on “woke Disney” would be a winner. Only a year ago this did look like formidable politics. But since then, a string of DeSantis’s staged uses of state power against assorted woke and liberal enemies have flopped.

The governor chartered planes to transport unsuspecting migrants from Texas to liberal Martha’s Vineyard. But investigative reporting revealed the scheme as almost a political version of an opera buffa, and he hasn’t chartered another one since.

Meanwhile, as The Post reports, the voter fraud police that DeSantis created to great fanfare have struggled to find anything real. Their targets have suffered serious life consequences, mainly demonstrating arbitrary cruelty.

All of this shows how hollow these right-wing theatrical exercises have become. When you start with the thrills you hope to inspire in the Fox News audience and build policy around that, the results tend to collapse once the lack of a real policy rationale becomes widely understood. If quotes from DeSantis’s own memoir lead to another such implosion, it would represent a spectacular and richly deserved form of political justice.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 5

• 2 weeks later...

More from DeSantisstan:

• Sad 1
  • WTF 2
  • Thank You 3

image.png.03b3df00ce2a3b07029a50fac3b1cbc4.png

• Upvote 6

• Upvote 8

Ronnie is spending Florida taxpayer money to own the libs.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

In his haste to spread hate for trans people, DerSantis bans circumcision. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 4

Disney just pulled the plug on a $1 billion project in Lake Nona.  It would have provided more than 2,000 jobs.

DeSantis is saying that it wasn't a confirmed deal but Disney is pushing back.  The Mouse is flexing its financial muscles.  Let's see what Ron does now.

Edited by Xan
  • Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1

8 minutes ago, Xan said:

Disney just pulled the plug on a $1 billion project in Lake Nona.  It would have provided more than 2,000 jobs.

DeSantis is saying that it wasn't a confirmed deal but Disney is pushing back.  The Mouse is flexing its financial muscles.  Let's see what Ron does now.

The ultimate Florida Man is going to fuck up his fascist shithole in so many ways. 

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, 47of74 said:

The ultimate Florida Man is going to fuck up his fascist shithole in so many ways. 

Which may not play well with a presidential run...which could piss off some major financial backers.

• Upvote 6

image.png.06676cb2bcef6efd154e2b3a4a239d20.png

• Eyeroll 6

13 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

image.png.06676cb2bcef6efd154e2b3a4a239d20.png

This whole bathroom thing is just so weird. I've never understood why it's imperative that men and women should have their own bathrooms, especially since men always have more options to pee with both stalls and urinals at their disposal and women only get stalls -- and often (here in my country anyway) fewer stalls than men have. I even went to the men's bathroom at the theatre when there was an incredibly long line at the women's. I simply refused to uncomfortably hold in my pee and wait for who knew how long before I could even enter the bathroom, let alone get to a stall. I knew there were stalls free at the men's (hubby told me), so I said fuck it and went there. And nobody should even have tried to argue with me about it. Either give women enough stalls, or deal with the fact that I might see someone's willie at the urinals. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

2 hours ago, fraurosena said:

This whole bathroom thing is just so weird. I've never understood why it's imperative that men and women should have their own bathrooms, especially since men always have more options to pee with both stalls and urinals at their disposal and women only get stalls -- and often (here in my country anyway) fewer stalls than men have. I even went to the men's bathroom at the theatre when there was an incredibly long line at the women's. I simply refused to uncomfortably hold in my pee and wait for who knew how long before I could even enter the bathroom, let alone get to a stall. I knew there were stalls free at the men's (hubby told me), so I said fuck it and went there. And nobody should even have tried to argue with me about it. Either give women enough stalls, or deal with the fact that I might see someone's willie at the urinals. 

Or just do what more and more places are doing and have several single toilet bathrooms along with signs that say whatever, just wash yer hands afterwards. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4