IGNORED

Governor Ron DeSantis: You Sick and Dying Floridians Better Not Derail My POTUS Dreams!!

Cartmann99

We're posting pretty frequently about him and his shenanigans, so here's a thread for him.

• Thank You 9

5 minutes ago, Becky said:

What in holy heckballs is a basque fry?

The event appears to already be sold out.  WTH?  We have a pandemic going on and a rally is sold out?

This is from one of the local papers:  The Basque-themed barbecue event includes live music, face painting and a petting zoo for the kids, and opportunities for voters to meet with both Nevada elected officials, as well as nationally-recognized conservative leaders.

Al I can figure is that it's a regular barbecue with a nod, I suppose, to Basque traditions from early settlers.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 4

I looked up the Morning in Nevada PAC that held this event. Found this on the FAQ page:

image.thumb.png.8aa91526edb8c29f19565f7b9b37d270.png

The venue also doesn't allow firearms. Seems an odd place to hold this thing for a PAC that has this on their issues page:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.fd00f3f4b9b7ca5504db033301490401.png

9 hours ago, Xan said:

The event appears to already be sold out.  WTH?  We have a pandemic going on and a rally is sold out?

Sadly, the pandemic is not mentioned in the FAQ for this event. The cynical side of me says they've already made arrangements to be in the wills of their most generous benefactors, so they won't take a financial hit when those people die. :pb_sad:

Edited by Cartmann99
  • Upvote 5

16 hours ago, smittykins said:

What is a basque and how do you fry it?

First you go to the Basque region in Spain (Europe), then you hunt down one of its inhabitants, shoot him (or if you prefer a challenge, work him to the ground and choke him until dead). Then skin him, take out his entrails, and cut him up into large manageable pieces. Gently rub on a spice mixture of dried marjoram, pepper flakes, anise seed,  orange peel and caraway seeds. Roast them on the bbq, until soft and tender.

(From ‘The Cannibal’s Cookbook’, second edition)

• Haha 15
  • I Agree 1

On 8/14/2021 at 10:02 AM, smittykins said:

What is a basque and how do you fry it?

On 8/14/2021 at 10:00 AM, Becky said:

What in holy heckballs is a basque fry?

Adam P. Laxalt is the holding the fundraiser. Mr. Laxalt is of Basque descent. The Basque people are inhabitants of both Spain and France. The Basque people also immigrated to the USA, Canada, Chile, etc. The Basque have their own traditions and customs, although I believe there are similarities to French and Spanish cultures.

According to this article, the western United States is home to largest Basque population in the country. 

Basques in the United States typically ended up in northern Nevada, Idaho, Wyoming and parts of California, where their primary business was sheepherding. In Nevada, Basques spent months roaming the wilderness of the Great Basin with their sheep before returning to the Basque boarding houses.

There are a lot of Basque cultural clubs in the region. 

The Basque Fry is an event where you fried lamb fried in the traditional Basque way to fry lamb.  It's a celebration of the Basque culture, the people whose ancestors came from that region, and it's contributions to western culture. 

(It's also a political fund raiser for GOP,  but you knew that. There are ways to enjoy Basque without politics as the second article mentions.)

Edited by Bluebirdbluebell
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 4

I tried Googling it and all I could find were references to this event.

• Upvote 1

Gee, I'm sure it's just a coincidence that he's now pushing the regeneron treatment, which is very expensive, instead of getting vaccinated, which costs almost nothing:

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 1

I read about a non-political Basque celebration in Nevada that featured a monster paella; the paella pan was huge -- maybe four or five feet across.   I think the person was on a long bike ride and stumbled across it in some small town's annual festival weekend. 

Lots of Basque food in Nevada: People Drive From All Over For The Chorizo At This Charming Nevada Cafe

Wait! Where was I?  I don't know if Ron DeSantis can survive this; Florida is burning up with COVID.   But yes, he'll probably survive.

Rick Scott was CEO of hospital company HCA/Columbia that committed so much outright MediCaid and MediCare billing fraud that they were assessed a 1.7 billion dollar fine.   Scott admitted that mistakes were made and he would have stopped those fraudulent practices if only someone had told him! And yup, he still got elected. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 5

On 8/18/2021 at 7:19 AM, Howl said:

Rick Scott was CEO of hospital company HCA/Columbia that committed so much outright MediCaid and MediCare billing fraud that they were assessed a 1.7 billion dollar fine.

So, I'm a medical provider working with Medicare all the time.  

I'm willing to cut a little slack on some level of alleged Medicare billing fraud, depending on context.  I'm in outpatient services, and it's easy for Medicare to claim "overuse of services" if someone's documentation was sloppy, even if the services were actually completely appropriate.  For most companies, it's easier to just pay up than it is to fight it.  Winning against an OIG audit is basically unheard of.   

Basically, it's easy to get dinged for some level of Medicare billing fraud without any actual fraud being committed.  Being fined 1.7 billion dollars, I'm sure it was more than just inadequate documentation to justify services billed.  But I'm never surprised if I hear that a company got fined for some level of Medicare fraud.  It's super easy to miss checking one of the dozens of small checkboxes that Medicare looks at, and get payment denied, and if they don't do an audit when you first ask for payment, but they find it in a later audit, then they call it fraud.  

• Thank You 6

Good dog FL is just a cesspool  for dirty politicians. IIRC, another Politician (was it Scott??) campaigned on mandatory drug testing for anyone receiving state aid, and his wife was an owner of a drug testing company.  Elect me so I can move your money from one of my pockets to the other. Also, IIRC, the state wasted money on this endeavor as very few people popped positive. 

• Upvote 7

Ronnie is trying to perpetuate covid, but whines about Biden.

• Upvote 4
  • Eyeroll 3
  • WTF 3

Simple and powerful video:

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 6

A judge said DeathSatan overstepped his authority. 

A Leon County judge ruled Friday that Gov. Ron DeSantis overstepped his authority when he signed an executive order to block school mask mandates, delivering a blow to the Republican leader as the debate over parental choice intensifies in Florida.

Leon County Circuit Court Judge John C. Cooper shredded the governor’s order leading up to his determination that it was unconstitutional. The conclusion came after a four-day trial in a case brought by parents from Hillsborough, Pinellas, Alachua and Palm Beach counties.

Cooper pointed out that DeSantis’ executive order drew its authority to ban mask mandates in schools from the state’s “parents’ bill of rights” law. 

“This orphan statute does not support a statewide order or any action interfering with the constitutionally provided authority of local school districts to provide for the safety and health of children, based on the unique facts on the ground,” Cooper said.

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 5

18 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

A judge said DeathSatan overstepped his authority. 

I hope he still doesn't withhold funding - not sure if that was mentioned by the court or not.

• Upvote 7

4 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

I hope he still doesn't withhold funding - not sure if that was mentioned by the court or not.

It would not surprise me if he or his GQP buddies in the legislature tried something stupid.  One thing these reich wingers can't abide is when people stand up to them.  

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 7

4 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

We could use an outrage emoji. Eyeroll seems too benign to convey what I feel. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 6

DeSantis has no reason to jump off the Trump train at this point.  No thinking person is ever going to vote for him.  He can't get the moderates.  There will be no crossover votes from any Democrats.  His only political future depends upon the rightwing.

He's still being courted by money men in the Republican party as a possible presidential candidate.  I guess they think he's Trump 2.0 -- crazy but smarter.  If he can be the face of freedumb for the right, it won't matter how many Floridians he kills.  He's sticking to his principles!  

I'm old and jaded but I never thought I'd see the day when our leaders thought it was fine and dandy to kill us off -- even to kill off our kids.  Well, that day is here and it is starring Ron DeSantis.

• Upvote 15
  • Sad 1

My husband had to spend multiple hours on his only day off driving around Central FL trying to find a place that hadn't run out of Covid testing. He works with kids and has had five positive confirmed Covid cases among them since Thursday (under 12s). It's really sad - they are all seemingly non-emergency cases, but with the effects of long covid still not largely known, who knows how bad it could be in the long run.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 15