IGNORED

Blast from the Past ... Chelsea Pomeroy

danvillebelle

16 minutes ago, anachronistic said:

I've never heard of accepting the Holy Ghost and I am very confused by it, but I guess it is the same as accepting the Holy Spirit, which is the same as accepting Jesus?  Or with many other evangelicals referred to as being saved. And I wonder what they mean by a fast, since Jae and Claire is like seven or eight and clearly cannot should not fast for that long. Actually, nobody can fast for that long…. I am so confused….. But I guess all of it makes sense to their fellow Pentecostals….

The Holy Ghost and Holy Spirit are the same thing. Catholics mostly switched from one to the other when I was a child because of the unfortunate connotations of “ghost” in English.  Around the same time the Lenten fast was eliminated, but it was no meat except on Sundays, no eating between meals, the two smaller meals should not be more together than the main meal. It never applied to children; it was restricted to adults in good health over 18 and under 60. If you liked fish, it was no big deal and never dangerous. It now applies to Ash Wednesday and Good Friday only. 

• I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

Update: fasting in Jane Claire’s case involved only drinking water— no juice, soda, tea. This makes me a relieved FundieWatcher. 

• Upvote 5

The Pomeroys are Pentecostal aren’t they? In that case, “receiving the Holy Ghost/Holy Spirit” will mean stuff like speaking in tongues, maybe falling down or healing or something like that. There’s a supernatural element to it, it doesn’t just mean choosing to accept Jesus like other evangelicals.

Fasting just means abstaining from something, it might be food, but often it’s a particular type of food (meat, chocolate, alcohol), or a favourite activity. Like the 40hr Famine, where kids or diabetics or elderly folks who wanted to join in could give up something creative - I knew people who went without furniture or the use of their dominant hand. 

• Thank You 3

The video of that little girl “receiving the Holy Spirit” popped up on my Instagram reels this morning. I don’t follow Chelsea but I do take a look every now and again. I found it quite disturbing personally. She’s so little and that looked quite traumatic to me. Hopefully she’s used to it all and she looked fine afterwards but it looked like a lot of emotion for a young child.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

Yes, they do the speaking in tongues stuff. I’ve never seen the Pomeroys do it but I think it’s common amongst Pentecostal denominations. 

• Thank You 1

Yes, speaking in tongues is a key doctrine among Pentecostals and Charismatics. She grew up seeing it so it was probably not weird to her. I grew up in a church that believed in that kind of stuff and it seemed normal when thing like this happened.

Pentecostal was inspired by this passage from Acts 2: 

When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place. 2 Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3 They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. 4 All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues[a] as the Spirit enabled them.

Edited by Ali
  • Upvote 2

Yes, that video is extremely disturbing. All those poor kids. They have a fancy house, fancy clothes, and fancy toys, but they're being spiritually abused just like the Roderigues kids.

• Upvote 8
  • Move Along 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/20/2023 at 8:51 AM, anachronistic said:

I found out recently to my utter dismay that even schools in my very liberal, progressive, lovely Massachusetts do the dressing up as old people thing for the hundredth day of school. But I can't say anything about it because I don't have any kids in the school system.

I work in a school district in a nearby New England state. I've never seen this weird phenomenon in our public schools, and I hope I never do.  

Holy crap, that video. Talk about mass hysteria. Especially with everyone gathered round her. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4

21 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

Holy crap, that video. Talk about mass hysteria. Especially with everyone gathered round her. 

I'm usually pretty non-judgmental about people's different religious beliefs and customs. But that video is chilling and seems emotionally manipulative. That is one weird display IMO. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 5

21 hours ago, fundiewatch said:

Update: fasting in Jane Claire’s case involved only drinking water— no juice, soda, tea. This makes me a relieved FundieWatcher. 

Wow then my children fast every day. Why aren't miracles happening at my home with the Holy Ghost 🤣 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

What I'm wondering is, was Charlotte actually shaking her hands, or were the people holding her hands doing it for her?? It is so hard to tell watching that video. I know if any of them were asked, they'd probably say they were just holding onto her for support, but...I dunno. I've seen so many faith healers be exposed for their scams that I just can't help but be skeptical when I see something like this, even if the receiver's feelings are all real.

Well, I just hope this was something she actually wanted. I'm happy that when I accepted Jesus, I had the opportunity of a quick prayer off somewhere private. I think I'd faint in the middle of all those people and it would be mistaken for me being "healed"...

EDIT: I'll say this, they have some awesome music at their church at least.

Edited by AliC
  • Upvote 1

Obviously “receiving the Holy Ghost” is a big thing in their church and so I get being excited when it happens - well, the family being excited at least. But filming it and posting it on Instagram just seems weird. I’m guessing most of Chelsea’s followers are familiar with Pentecostalism, because I can see some people going “omg! Is she ok?” if they weren’t familiar with the shaking and crying that happens. 
Charlotte is apparently being baptised today too. Six seems a young age. But I don’t know how Pentecostalism works in that regard. Probably they think that receiving the Holy Ghost is enough to be eligible for baptism.

12 hours ago, AliC said:

What I'm wondering is, was Charlotte actually shaking her hands, or were the people holding her hands doing it for her?? It is so hard to tell watching that video. I know if any of them were asked, they'd probably say they were just holding onto her for support, but...I dunno.

I watched the video. I'm almost positive the women were shaking Charlotte's hands. The one on the right is obvious.

• I Agree 1

44 minutes ago, waltraute said:

I watched the video. I'm almost positive the women were shaking Charlotte's hands. The one on the right is obvious.

The one in the blue outfit? Yeah. I believe that’s Chelsea herself.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

The one in the blue outfit? Yeah. I believe that’s Chelsea herself.

I agree I’m sure that’s Chelsea and she looks like she’s talking in tongues. She’s definitely shaking Charlotte’s arm as well. 

• I Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

Their school performed ‘Little Women’ and if it weren't for the fact that the characters names were super imposed on the photos, I would honestly have no idea that any of the kids were wearing costumes. Maybe the older boy.

Both sisters do Instagram stories frequently, but Instagram post much less frequently. I find myself checking their sites every day or every other day, because I still can't quite get enough of them. It's like the American girl doll catalog, I know I will never get a doll, I don't actually want a doll, I just want to look and look and look. Even though I know that anyone who takes kids strawberry picking and emerges with all of their outfits so perfect must be doing something really wrong to make that happen.

• Upvote 4

29 minutes ago, anachronistic said:

Their school performed ‘Little Women’ and if it weren't for the fact that the characters names were super imposed on the photos, I would honestly have no idea that any of the kids were wearing costumes. Maybe the older boy.

Both sisters do Instagram stories frequently, but Instagram post much less frequently. I find myself checking their sites every day or every other day, because I still can't quite get enough of them. It's like the American girl doll catalog, I know I will never get a doll, I don't actually want a doll, I just want to look and look and look. Even though I know that anyone who takes kids strawberry picking and emerges with all of their outfits so perfect must be doing something really wrong to make that happen.

I think some people do that on purpose. Instagram stories are gone after 24 hours and you can see who is looking at your stories. But you don’t know who is looking at your Instagram posts and they stay up forever or until they are deleted. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar

She posted videos  of the kids strawberry picking. In strawberry-themed outfits, of course. With white as the base color. Who the hell sends young kids into a strawberry patch wearing white clothes? Even her Edwardian cherubs couldn’t have kept those outfits immaculate. I wish she had posted an after picture. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 11
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, postscript said:

She posted videos  of the kids strawberry picking. In strawberry-themed outfits, of course. With white as the base color. Who the hell sends young kids into a strawberry patch wearing white clothes? Even her Edwardian cherubs couldn’t have kept those outfits immaculate. I wish she had posted an after picture. 

You know before having children I would have thought strawberry picking would be terrible for stains. But my kids have a knack for dropping cut up strawberries on their clothes so now I know that strawberry comes out of clothing no problem. Now carrots on the other hand, carrot stains like crazy. 😆

• I Agree 1

As fastidious as Chelsea is about how her children look, I bet she can get every kind of stain out of clothing. Even sharpies. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2023 at 10:00 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

As fastidious as Chelsea is about how her children look, I bet she can get every kind of stain out of clothing. Even sharpies. 

Honestly I bet those children are so restricted in their outfits! My son comes home from school with black knees from playing soccer and footy, tears in his shirts from tackling and pen everywhere. And holes in his socks. My daughter isn't much better and I love it! Let kids be kids and get dirty. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 4

7 minutes ago, Milly-Molly-Mandy said:

Honestly I bet those children are so restricted in their outfits! My son comes home from school with black knees from playing soccer and footy, tears in his shirts from tackling and pen everywhere. And holes in his socks. My daughter isn't much better and I love it! Let kids be kids and get dirty. 

My children are the same but I admit I don’t love it. I get tired of the holes in their knees and the stains. But they don’t get in trouble for it. 

• Upvote 3

During that period we searched and searched for the most rugged pants with reinforced knees. I wish I could remember the brand that kept its knees.  

• Upvote 3

My middle child is always getting holes in his knees. We make him change when he gets home from school, but sometimes we are too late.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic