IGNORED

Blast from the Past ... Chelsea Pomeroy

danvillebelle

2 hours ago, fundiewatch said:

I’m pretty sure they cover to their wrists once they reach a certain age. 

I think it depends on the apostolic Pentecostal group. I do think they are more lax about modesty with the younger ones. And then the teens have to have the same rules as the adult women. Most have to cover their arms at least a little bit. The most common coverage I’ve seen is covering elbows. So if they are swimming, their swim shirt has to go past the elbows, and of course the leggings and skirts have to go past the knees. The necklines normally show no collar bone. So they are quite high. Therefore the most common AP modesty standards I’ve seen are much more strict than even Jill. 

• Upvote 2

Yeah, Abigail is in all long sleeves now too. I’m sure they all feel used to it. In my old state we had a large Muslim population, and girls wore head coverings at various ages. It all seemed normal at our very public school. On the Rod thread we were talking about Laura Ingalls Wilder— she was one who openly admitted hating moving to the more adult fashion. Abigail actually seems a lot less resistant now that she’s not matching with the curls. They seem to really celebrate her, redecorated her (own) room in donut theme. She isn’t like MG who is kinda perfect and piano playing, and she appears to be especially close to George. They are even built differently. I will also say that the kids seem genuinely joyful and grateful and that’s inspiring to me TBH. They are wealthy AF but the kids lose their minds over their presents and getting ice cream and donuts is still everything. They seem grounded, somehow?! 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, fundiewatch said:

Yeah, Abigail is in all long sleeves now too. I’m sure they all feel used to it. In my old state we had a large Muslim population, and girls wore head coverings at various ages. It all seemed normal at our very public school. On the Rod thread we were talking about Laura Ingalls Wilder— she was one who openly admitted hating moving to the more adult fashion. Abigail actually seems a lot less resistant now that she’s not matching with the curls. They seem to really celebrate her, redecorated her (own) room in donut theme. She isn’t like MG who is kinda perfect and piano playing, and she appears to be especially close to George. They are even built differently. I will also say that the kids seem genuinely joyful and grateful and that’s inspiring to me TBH. They are wealthy AF but the kids lose their minds over their presents and getting ice cream and donuts is still everything. They seem grounded, somehow?! 

Maybe they are like some other fundies. Where they are brainwashed into thinking their parents are perfect and they must be grateful for every single thing their parents do for them. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

On 8/29/2022 at 12:47 PM, DJ1234 said:

I also have to wonder about sending a little girl to the first day of kindergarten in a pristine, white dress.  

The first day of kinder around here is usually just a couple of hours, so no lunch, recess, or messy activities. 

On 8/31/2022 at 5:13 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Maybe they are like some other fundies. Where they are brainwashed into thinking their parents are perfect and they must be grateful for every single thing their parents do for them. 

To be fair, this idea is not restricted to fundies or even religious people in general. I think it's fading to an extent, but it stems from the idea that parents have ownership over their children and is sadly persistent. 

You should be grateful for what we give you, you should not expect any privacy under my roof, I brought you into this world and I can take you out - these are all intertwined ideas that stem from a sense of ownership. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

Nicole’s family went to London and were there when Queen Elizabeth died. Kids looked impeccable as always despite the fact that you’d think with a half dozen tourist sites a day they’d be beyond exhausted. Lucky lucky girls to travel so much, and the youngest 2 won’t even have any memories of it! Also I guess dresses only doesn’t apply to babies - both Madeleine and Elizabeth are in outfits that are very short basically just bubbles and minus the hair bows, are something that their cousin George would wear. 

• Upvote 3

We only made guesses. I think it was around the time one of them was told they were finally having a boy, but ended up having a girl. Even after some stuff was already monogrammed. 

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

Chelsea took the girls to the American Girl store for Charlotte's birthday. Unlike other times, it seems that George didn't join them. I wonder, if being almost 3 years old, he's too manly to go there now🙄

I suppose it's possible that he has no interest in going there and so Chelsea is trying to care about their individual interests. But I think it is unlikely since Mary Grace went along and I doubt most 14 year olds really want to spend an afternoon there. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/2/2022 at 4:40 PM, Baxter said:

Edited by Hane

On 10/2/2022 at 11:40 PM, Baxter said:

Chelsea took the girls to the American Girl store for Charlotte's birthday. Unlike other times, it seems that George didn't join them. I wonder, if being almost 3 years old, he's too manly to go there now🙄

I suppose it's possible that he has no interest in going there and so Chelsea is trying to care about their individual interests. But I think it is unlikely since Mary Grace went along and I doubt most 14 year olds really want to spend an afternoon there. 

I went by myself to the NYC as an adult on holiday.  I didn't buy anything, but I had to go look.:embarrassed:

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2

I think most 14-year olds with three little sisters would still accompany youngest (last?) sister on a birthday trip. It’s a nice cafe and I’d enjoy it. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

I could see the 14-year-old going. The sisters seem to be pretty close and they’re immature for their age. 

Goerge is too young to care one way or the other. But heaven forbid they take their “all boy” 3-year-old and he decides he wants a doll! 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

42 minutes ago, imokit said:

I went by myself to the NYC as an adult on holiday.  I didn't buy anything, but I had to go look.:embarrassed:

Oh don't get me wrong as an adult, I would be interested to go to one of the big American Girl stores. My mom and sister went to the one in New York several years ago and had a lot of fun. But my sisters are four and six years older than me and once they got into their early teenage years, they didn't want to do a lot of the same outings as me. My mom solved this problem by having one of my friends come along instead. 

I agree it's possible that Mary Grace wanted to come. But frankly I would actually think it would be more likely that 3 year old George would not want to miss out on what everyone else was doing. I just find the whole thing a bit suspicious.

Eh, yeah, it’d be weird in a lot of families but not this one. And heck I’d like to go look around one but they closed the store in my state and I never had the self confidence to go as an adult.

What I’m surprised about is how Olivia Kate could take at least a week off in the beginning of her senior year to go gallivanting around London with her family. Maybe it helps if your uncle is the principal and you aren’t aiming for a really good college? But most high schoolers are running around trying to cram in all the extra curriculars, nail down recommendations, start writing essays, figure out exactly where they’re applying, etc. And high school is very hard and not easy to take a week off of! I guess it’s quite different for them though.

• I Agree 1

As a 14 year old, I would have gone in to look around. I was never that into dolls. Even if I was, I wouldn’t have had an American girl doll. My parents couldn’t afford one. I had a close friend that had Samantha and her sister had Molly. We would play with them at their house. That was enough for me. I liked the books though. My parents could afford those. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar

1 hour ago, anachronistic said:

What I’m surprised about is how Olivia Kate could take at least a week off in the beginning of her senior year to go gallivanting around London with her family. Maybe it helps if your uncle is the principal and you aren’t aiming for a really good college? But most high schoolers are running around trying to cram in all the extra curriculars, nail down recommendations, start writing essays, figure out exactly where they’re applying, etc. And high school is very hard and not easy to take a week off of! I guess it’s quite different for them though.

I have a feeling that she won't go to college and will marry soon out of high school, given her family (although a lot of girls in their church do go for higher education.)

18 minutes ago, indianabones said:

I have a feeling that she won't go to college and will marry soon out of high school, given her family (although a lot of girls in their church do go for higher education.)

It seems like the young women go to college if they don’t have a steady boyfriend. The guys definitely seem more likely to go to college in this group. So if Chelsea’s girls snag a fiancé before they head off to college, they won’t bother going. 

• Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 1

If they went to the play at the AG store, George might have been too young to attend. I went to the AG store in NYC with my sister’s family about 15 years ago, and my 4-year-old nephew melted down because kids under 6 weren’t allowed to attend the play. (An Asian tourist outside the store actually took a picture of him.) His father took him to Build-a-Bear and he was *not* assuaged.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Their hair in the latest insta post really shows how they have tamed down the styles. They are still done very nicely; however, they are not nearly as crazy as they used to be. I also do like how she posts pictures of her kids clearly not cooperating with the camera. I love that while they are all dressed in these immaculate outfits with their hair in curls- Abigail is still allowed to roll her eyes at the camera. 

When she started the crazy hair, she only had 1 or 2 kids. So it was doable. But now she has 5. That’s just too much time and effort that goes into doing their hair every single night. It was inevitable that she would do less and less. 

But it's not as if she would have to do the older two girls' hair. They can do their own. She could still be doing the crazy hair with the younger two girls. I think she is making a choice to dial it back. Her whole aesthetic has changed a bit over the years so it wouldn't surprise me if she just decided she liked the way the little girls hair is done now. I think she lets Mary Grace and Abigail pick their own hairstyles now thankfully. 

They also have to change the hairstyles because they aren’t allowed to cut their hair. The older girls will have much longer hair since it isn’t allowed to be cut. So it will look different compared to when they were little. 

• Upvote 1

I think George is allowed to be a lot more rambunctious than the girls are because he’s a boy. With the exception of the American girl doll store post, he usually has at least one solo picture. Chelsea literally changed the colors she wears to add blue into everything once he was born! She also frequently refers to him as being all boy and other boy stereotypes. Despite his Little Lord Fauntleroy looks he’s being raised differently, and I’m sure that affects the entire dynamics of their family. Mary Grace may be absolutely perfect, but George is a boy. That’s what really counts, and I’m sure all the kids know it. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 5

• Coconut Flan locked this topic