IGNORED

Atlanta Spa Shooter Repudiated by his SBC Church

Howl

3 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

At the federal level a hate crime is a crime motivated by bias against the victim’s perceived or actual race, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, or disability.  Most states that have a hate crime statute limit it to bias against race, color, and religion; some include sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and/or disability. (source: https://www.justice.gov/hatecrimes/learn-about-hate-crimes)

Here's a handy chart showing what, if anything, constitutes a hate crime in each of the 50 states:https://www.naacp.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Hate-Crimes-laws-by-state.pdf

Law may say so, but I have never seen a crime against women finally labeled as hate crime. I'm not only talking about murders, but also about hate speech, assaults, abuses etc. I can be wrong, of course, but broadly speaking crime against women makes headlines but never causes a deep thinking in society. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 15

10 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

.., Todd tells of his grandma, who had no use for show business in part because her Nazarene Baptist church removed her from membership for having a daughter who was a performer ...

Just for accuracy: The Nazarene church is its own denomination. It is not part of any Baptist group. They ARE both considered evangelicals. 

nazarene.org

The Church of the Nazarene is the largest denomination in the classical Wesleyan-Holiness tradition. The doctrine that distinguishes the Church of the Nazarene and other Wesleyan denominations from most other Christian denominations is that of entire sanctification. Nazarenes believe that God calls Christians to a life of holy living that is marked by an act of God, cleansing the heart from original sin and filling the individual with love for God and humankind.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 12

Those f**king holiness people are some of the worst.  The ones I met were absolutely bonkers and self righteous to the extreme.  I hope I never see one again as long as I live.  That whole crazy holiness movement is a hate crime.

• Upvote 9

1 hour ago, apple1 said:

ust for accuracy: The Nazarene church is its own denomination. It is not part of any Baptist group. They ARE both considered evangelicals. 

nazarene.org

Accuracy is everything and I thank you for the note. I just quoted directly from Todd's book.  I did know somebody who knew a member of the Nazarenes ... wow, what a cosmopolite this insect has been!!! :D 

7 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Law may say so, but I have never seen a crime against women finally labeled as hate crime. I'm not only talking about murders, but also about hate speech, assaults, abuses etc. I can be wrong, of course, but broadly speaking crime against women makes headlines but never causes a deep thinking in society. 

The Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women's movement is tragic testimony to the degree of abuse heaped upon Native women in North America.  Yes -- why aren't crimes based on gender considered hate crimes?!

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 7

On 3/21/2021 at 11:23 AM, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

Those f**king holiness people are some of the worst.  The ones I met were absolutely bonkers and self righteous to the extreme.  I hope I never see one again as long as I live.  That whole crazy holiness movement is a hate crime.

Or at the least it's spiritual abuse , in my honest opinion .  They cause people whom are under their influence to always second guess whether or not they are good enough to continue to merit remaining in God's good graces , as they teach that security of salvation is conditional upon remaining faithful enough to maintain God's favor . Unless one is sanctimonious enough to feel self assured of having attained the so called second blessing of entire sanctification , as a second work of grace following the initial born again experience of justification , one will be ever fearful of winding up being subjected to eternal damnation .  And as God is said to even be able to read , and judge one's mind , an adherent will even be concerned of sinning in thought , such as by lusting after someone.  I was brought up in such churches , so I know first hand what they are like over all . Before I had seen the reply from @apple1 I was going to post to say that I found it  amusing that people mistake Nazarenes as being a type of Baptist , when as a hardcore hard line old school Methodist offshoot , I have heard some of them refer to Baptists , given their belief in eternal security , as being " lukewarm " , and not necessarily altogether living for the Lord , since supposedly they can just do as they please , without any repercussion , due to " once in grace always in grace " .  This was the straw man impression I had of Baptists growing up .  By the way , even though I have posted here before about the Holiness movement , and especially Nazarenes , to the point that some here might have grown tired of me by now :my_wink: , just for those whom might not know what we are referring to , to catch them up to speed , if they might be interested in finding out more about what it's like to be a Nazarene , here are a couple articles on the subject that I think are good .   http://jcnot4me.com/page92.html  ,  http://karissaknoxsorrell.com/2013/06/12/im-a-nazbeen-and-this-might-be-why-im-guilty/    

Edited by Marmion
  • Upvote 8
  • Thank You 4

13 hours ago, Marmion said:

Or at the least it's spiritual abuse , in my honest opinion .  They cause people whom are under their influence to always second guess whether or not they are good enough to continue to merit remaining in God's good graces , as they teach that security of salvation is conditional upon remaining faithful enough to maintain God's favor . Unless one is sanctimonious enough to feel self assured of having attained the so called second blessing of entire sanctification , as a second work of grace following the initial born again experience of justification , one will be ever fearful of winding up being subjected to eternal damnation .  And as God is said to even be able to read , and judge one's mind , an adherent will even be concerned of sinning in thought , such as by lusting after someone.  I was brought up in such churches , so I know first hand what they are like over all . Before I had seen the reply from @apple1 I was going to post to say that I found it  amusing that people mistake Nazarenes as being a type of Baptist , when as a hardcore hard line old school Methodist offshoot , I have heard some of them refer to Baptists , given their belief in eternal security , as being " lukewarm " , and not necessarily altogether living for the Lord , since supposedly they can just do as they please , without any repercussion , due to " once in grace always in grace " .  This was the straw man impression I had of Baptists growing up .  By the way , even though I have posted here before about the Holiness movement , and especially Nazarenes , to the point that some here might have grown tired of me by now :my_wink: , just for those whom might not know what we are referring to , to catch them up to speed , if they might be interested in finding out more about what it's like to be a Nazarene , here are a couple articles on the subject that I think are good .   http://jcnot4me.com/page92.html  ,  http://karissaknoxsorrell.com/2013/06/12/im-a-nazbeen-and-this-might-be-why-im-guilty/    

Sounds. Totally. Confusing.  But then again, a person who’s kept off-balance is a person who’s easily influenced. I have had no real idea of what the Nazarenes teach and will be enjoying [sic] your articles this rainy day. 

PS, again, when I mentioned Debbie Reynolds’ mom being thrown out of her church for being the mother of an actress, i was quoting Debbie’s son, Todd Fisher, in his book about his mom and sister Carrie Fisher, “My Girls.” 

i recommend the book HIGHLY, srsly. So readable, so full of details and with such great and loving heart. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 5

Article written by Feminist Giant, God save us from the 'Bad days' of white men.

The world is full of sexually frustrated women who are are taught, and obey, that they must wait until they are married (to a man) to have sex, and yet I’m unaware of any massacres committed by those women.

God save us from the “bad days” of cis white men and the even worse excuses given for the violence they commit by and for their dicks

• Upvote 16
  • Thank You 6
  • Love 7