IGNORED

Seriously Steve 3: Relaxing His Grip as He Prepares to Turn 70?

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, Lady Grass Lake said:

In the latest photo catchup on the blog, there is a tree down on their property and Steve is holding on to what looks like a downed power line.  In a picture with the kids, you can see the same power line in a diagonal line from the upper right corner of the photo to the driveway.

You're right, that doesn't look very safe.  Could it be a phone line rather than a power line?

And I'm very upset...they've managed to hypnotize sweet Ellie into adoring Steve like the rest of the family does. :mad:

Although they'll never get to Arnold like that! ?

Spoiler

IMG_5202-1-768x576.jpg

Spoiler

IMG_9575-768x576.jpg

Edited by kpmom
Adding spoiler
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, kpmom said:

And I'm very upset...they've managed to hypnotize sweet Ellie into adoring Steve like the rest of the family does. :mad:

No worries. She's just looking at the big slab of meat on his plate.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 10
  • I Agree 3

11 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

No worries. She's just looking at the big slab of meat on his plate.

Yes, that really looks like the "if I am intent enough, I can hypnotize you into dropping something" stare.

Dogs have their religious beliefs too, after all.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 13
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, thoughtful said:

Yes, that really looks like the "if I am intent enough, I can hypnotize you into dropping something" stare.

Dogs have their religious beliefs too, after all.

We used to have a dog who apparently believed she had psychokinetic powers. We had a minivan with a remote-operated sliding door and I would push that button as we were walking towards the van. The dog, of course, was watching this door open magically and when it did, she'd race ahead of us to get the best seat. When the van was totalled we had a rental that was the same color but did not have the remote opener feature and the poor dog would stare and stare at that door, willing it to open for her.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 11
  • Love 4

I firmly believe I have "sucker" written in dog language invisibly written on my forehead.  I can be in a room full of people all eating, or at a picnic where people on lawn chairs are eating from plates on their laps, and any dog in the vicinity is sitting in front of me with pleading eyes.   And I'm not even a dog person, but they know I can be drooled into giving them a bite.    I'm a softie.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 9

47 minutes ago, Lady Grass Lake said:

I firmly believe I have "sucker" written in dog language invisibly written on my forehead.  I can be in a room full of people all eating, or at a picnic where people on lawn chairs are eating from plates on their laps, and any dog in the vicinity is sitting in front of me with pleading eyes.   And I'm not even a dog person, but they know I can be drooled into giving them a bite.    I'm a softie.

That's not a bad thing to be. Dogs are excellent judges of character and they have deemed you to be a kind and generous soul.

Something about the scent that my dog leaves on my legs seems to tell other dogs, after a careful sniff, that I give excellent belly rubs and skritches. Just yesterday a dog who did not know me at all gave me the sniff test, then flopped over on his side at my feet waving one forepaw at me as a signal to put my phone away and give him some love. Which, of course, I did.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 12

The weather is a great conversation opener.  It's often important to people but not deeply personal so people are quite happy to share an opinion or a complaint.  People can exchange a lot my just talking about the weather, and it can lead into discussion of their job or weekend plans or...

• Upvote 10

16 hours ago, Lady Grass Lake said:

Dogs are smart. They can figure out quickly who's the one who will give them food even the first time they meet. My dad and I are that to dogs. They know the second they see us they'll get food from our plates and their right. I'm a pushover. I was surprised that my brother's dogs remember that when it had been over a year since they last saw me even the more skittish dog. My dad has it even worse (or better?) I've lost count of how many dogs have walked up him on the streets to be petted.

Edited by JordynDarby5
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, CyborgKin said:

The weather is a great conversation opener.  It's often important to people but not deeply personal so people are quite happy to share an opinion or a complaint.  People can exchange a lot my just talking about the weather, and it can lead into discussion of their job or weekend plans or...

Are you British?!! It's a cliché here, because it's true.

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, CyborgKin said:

I know what you mean.  During the summer heat, we can always ask "So, is it hot enough for you?"

In the winter we can comment on how cold it is or should be, and after a big snow there are conversations about how long it takes for all the roads to get plowed.  (I've had some minor success in the past by calling up the road department and promising fresh chocolate chip cookies if they'd just wander down our road with their plow.  One guy liked them so much that he took the trouble to clear the entrance to our driveway while I went back inside for the rest of the batch.)

The best conversation starter happened after an earthquake.  Simply asking someone where they were when it happened was enough to get everyone in the vicinity talking.

• Upvote 4

Weather is the best random topic. Standing in a long grocery line & don't want to stare at the floor? Mention the temp to the person behind you. It definitely starts conversations that, given time, will turn into more. 

Person 1: "That snow yesterday was insane! It took all morning for me to shovel out to get here to the store"

Person 2: "My grandsons came over to shovel our drive. They are staying for lunch and want chili but I didn't have any beans so that is why I am at the store this early".

Person 1: Oh, I love chili and would go to the store at all hours to make sure I have the ingredients.

Person 2: I like Goulash better, but this is for my grandsons and I will go to the store at all hours just for them. If it were my granddaughters, I would be here buying Italian sausage because they love spaghetti.

Person 1: How many grandchildren do you have?

Person 2: Face lights up as she talks about all her grandkids. 

All because of a random weather comment in a  long line. 

• Upvote 11
  • Love 4

My parents used to have English springer spaniels (I still have two). I think Springers could quite possibly have the best deserving face for begging. My parents were involved in a springer spaniel club and they had meetings occasionally at their house. The dogs could never figure out why the guests wouldn't give them stuff even though they were doing their best begging. Of course, all these people also had springers who did the exact same thing so they were somewhat immune to their charms. But the dogs didn't know that!

Now my mom is the one my dogs go to for extra treats. My mom has become a complete softie when it comes to the dogs.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 6

@Baxter, my folks used to have a Brittany spaniel.  Rambler just wandered up to our yard as if he knew that my parents were dog lovers and would take him in.  (yep, he was a stray.)  Rambler looked like a Brittany -at least what I could read about Brittany spaniels in the AKC book that had breed standards- except he was liver and white.  Brittany spaniels were supposed to orange and white.  Now,  I hear that liver-and-white is an acceptable color for Brittanys.  

Why in the hell did they ever change the name of the breed to just Brittany?  Aren't they still spaniels? and how do you pluralize it?

• Upvote 3

This week's Seriously Steve is called "Our Own Enemy" and it's from August 4, 2021. 

When things go wrong, people want to blame someone. As an example, just a few hours ago I heard a casual acquaintance blame God for something. 

I'm sure Steve said something biting to the person who wanted to blame God.

The reality is that usually we, ourselves, are to blame by making bad choices that lead to painful consequences. 

Not always and maybe not even usually. Plenty of things are either bad luck or the results of previous actions of others that cause problems (systemic injustice, climate change, etc.)

We can avoid much grief for our families if we will read and heed God’s Word. 

I also recommend listening to science, medical advice, thinking things through, etc.  Reading the bible doesn't solve all your problems and there are many other steps to avoiding grief. 

“Be ye therefore very courageous to keep and to do all that is written in the book of the law of Moses, that ye turn not aside therefrom to the right hand or to the left” (Joshua 23:6).

“Be ye therefore very courageous” – Brothers be resolute, unwavering in your commitment to follow Christ. This isn’t about a mere preference.

It's fine to be committed to Jesus. It doesn't necessarily determine people's actions. For example, some people see getting vaccinated, wearing masks, etc. as following Jesus and a lot of people seem to think following Jesus means spreading a deadly disease. 

“to keep” – Retain, treasure and mediate on His Word. 

“and to do all that is written in the book of the law of Moses,” – Praise God we have more than just the law of Moses. We have it all. Read, my Brothers. Love it, and live it. 

I'm not sure what exactly he means than just more than the law of Moses. I guess other parts of the bible. How about the Constitution? Or any number of self-help books? 

Again living and loving God looks different for different people. MamaJunebug always points out following a calling into the medical profession is a way of living for God by helping people.

“that ye turn not aside therefrom to the right hand or to the left” – Be narrow-minded when it comes to His Word. Inhale the Word, exhale in obedience. 

Again there is more than one interpretation of the Bible! It's hard to "exhale obedience"  when there's more than one interpretation! 

Also inhale and exhale just makes think of someone describing drug use like Marijuana. This is your brain, this is your brain on Steve's mindless obedience!

Brothers, know the Word, live it, and then there will be no reason to blame anyone. It doesn’t mean things will always be without difficulties, but there is peace in following the Savior.

This is not true. Another driver smashes their driver into your car, and you can blame that driver. The airport loses your luggage, you can blame the airport.  Just because there's peace from your religion doesn't mean you shouldn't expect some accountability from others. 

(Continued)

Argh! No, this column is not good enough that it needs a sequel. It also is quite vague in some ways and could have used revisions.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 4

So, he "counsels" men with four sentences and a wall of bible verses. 

Yep, sounds like Steve.

I don't know how on one hand he can say "don't blame god" but give his god credit for everything. I'm a little brain dead right now but if I weren't I am sure I could come up with ten ways they gave their god credit for the dumbest things. 

Teri getting a cell phone case - from Sarah bur really from their god. Teri needing new clothes but being hesitant to buy any, and what do you know, god provided at Xmas when her daughters bought her some. Steve remembering to bring home a pizza without Teri having to call him, praise the LORD. 

• Upvote 13
  • Haha 3

On 8/4/2021 at 6:37 PM, Essie said:

Are you British?!! It's a cliché here, because it's true.

No but I have some recent British ancestry, and some less recent.

• Upvote 1

On 8/5/2021 at 12:15 AM, fundiefan said:

Teri getting a cell phone case - from Sarah bur really from their god. Teri needing new clothes but being hesitant to buy any, and what do you know, god provided at Xmas when her daughters bought her some.

They look very well off with all the good brands and latest tech, I am guessing a lot of what they do is godly mutual aid to circumvent Steve's silly rules.. If they all buy for each other then they are not worldly, but God blessed them through each other. They can probably have nicer trendier clothes if God told a daughter to buy them than if Teri has to tell her husband herself and wait for his approval when she wants nice things

• Upvote 8

On 8/3/2021 at 1:52 PM, Black Aliss said:

That's not a bad thing to be. Dogs are excellent judges of character and they have deemed you to be a kind and generous soul.

Something about the scent that my dog leaves on my legs seems to tell other dogs, after a careful sniff, that I give excellent belly rubs and skritches. Just yesterday a dog who did not know me at all gave me the sniff test, then flopped over on his side at my feet waving one forepaw at me as a signal to put my phone away and give him some love. Which, of course, I did.

I have no idea what dogs think about me, it seems to be varied. The poodles at work, of course, like me just fine and are excited to see me, and will ask for lap sits and pets and belly rubs. Their "niece" who is three times their size (an aussiedoodle) hadn't seen me in well over a year but seemed to remember me and was sweet, asking for pets and doing that thing big dogs do where they sit beside you and lean on your leg. 

Then I met my friend's dog. He's 60 pounds, still very puppy-like, and is deaf. He would NOT leave me alone. He's generally crazy and hyper, and he was in everyone's faces, but he kept jumping on me and trying to climb me and just would not stop for anything! 

We couldn't figure out if I was his favorite or his least favorite. He's a sweetie but it was a bit much - I'm really much more of a cat person and am more comfortable with smaller dogs, and only that in the last few years, before that I was NOT a dog person in any way shape or form. Leftover trauma from my dad's German Shepherd who was bigger than me as a toddler, I guess.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 3

You would Steve would be in a good mood from his birthday, but he seems cranky this week. Maybe it's getting older. Since he's 70, he is not mellowing this. This week's Seriously, Steve?  is called "Empty-Handed". The date is August 11, 2021.

God forewarned Joshua that any remaining nations would affect the Israelites. Their influence would divert the Israelites’ love and worship of God to the other nation’s gods. 

Oh my, this already sounds nefarious. According to Steve, God warned Joshua that other religions exist. 

The same is true today as professing Christians fall in love with what the people of our world worship. Few will go to the extreme to deny Christ as they know that would clearly be sin. However, they don’t think about the tears of remorse they will shed when standing before Christ empty-handed. Each will give account for all the wasted hours that were devoted to completely worthless, but exciting, entertainment idols. 

Ugh! Okay, as bad as this is, I was actually expecting worse. 

Just because you watch television or listen to secular music doesn't mean you haven't accomplished anything in your life. You can to church for an hour or two, and come home and watch television. You can take care of others, and find time to listen to music. 

Also while I am a big fan of many entertainers, I don't think they're gods.

“That ye come not among these nations, these that remain among you; neither make mention of the name of their gods, nor cause to swear by them, neither serve them, nor bow yourselves unto them: But cleave unto the LORD your God, as ye have done unto this day” (Joshua 23:7-8).

So this is apparently a new style for Steve. He takes one long quote and breaks into pieces and analyzes it.

Chapter 23 in the book of Joshua is Joshua's final speech before he dies in the next chapter. He's warning people to be faithful to God.

“That ye come not among these nations, these that remain among you;” – We must live in the world, but what we embrace is a choice.

Another interpretation would be to stay true to your beliefs. 

neither make mention of the name of their gods,” – Seems like the number of idols today are endless. It all becomes the topic of our speech and the love of our hearts.

Love isn't a sin, Steve. And you can talk about things and enjoy things without making an idol of them. 

“nor cause to swear by them,” – They become a person’s identity.

They become a person's identity? Maybe a little, but most people have many identities. For example you Steve are a Christian, a husband, a brother, a son-in-law, a father, a grandfather, a biblical reader, the writer of the Seriously, Dad? column,  a fearmonger, an old man who probably yells at his computer, etc. All of these identities make-up who you are. Other people might have identities that read "Christian", "husband" "father" "grandfather" and "movie buff".  One identity doesn't cancel out the rest.

neither serve them,” – With your precious time

Spending time on something doesn't make it an idol. There is nothing wrong with spending time on hobbies if you have the time. Our time being precious means we should spend it on things and people that bring us joy. If that's the bible, good for you. For other people, it's music. 

nor bow yourselves unto them:” – They are devoted to them.

I know what he means, but "they are devoted to them" has too many pronouns. Since they and them are different entities, I would spell at least one out. For example "People are devoted to them" or "They are devoted to their hobbies". Or "People are too devoted to their hobbies".

Steve, the big problem with this article is you can't image anyone enjoying anything in moderation. Most people can enjoy a television or their favorite musician's music without basing their lives around it. 

“But cleave unto the LORD your God,” – Be joined with God, and pursue Him hard with all your might.

There is more than one to pursue God. Being a good Christian is one way. Pursuing your God-given talents is another way. Making people happy through art or entertainment is another way. Pursuing the truth via Science is another way. Helping people when they're in need of help through medicine, counseling, etc. 

It's the same thing week after week. At least this week didn't end to be continued.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 5

I used to lurk here a lot, haven't been buy in a while, but today I saw something that made me come running right here. I had to see if anyone else noticed.

One of the granddaughters is wearing pants. PANTS.

For no particular reason, I went and looked at the Maxwell website, and one of the little girls, age 9, is walking around OUTSIDE, where people can SEE HER, and she's wearing JEANS. On her LEGS. 

Honestly, I don't know whose kid she is. Maybe the oldest boy? Maybe the second oldest boy? But the caption says she's 9. By their standards, should should be training for traditional womanhood while still dressing in frills and fluffy skirts and giant head bows.

Did Steve's teaching not trickle down to the entire brood of grandchildren? Are some of these adults actually letting their children make their own choices? I am stunned.

• Upvote 7
  • Move Along 1

I think it's possible that slowly, over time, the Maxwell boys are discovering that their dad is a joyless legalistic stick-in-the-mud, and that it's possible to be Christian without being a judgmental anti-fun ass. The girls are still stuck at home under his rule, but the boys have experienced the outside world a bit here and there. Maybe one of them has actually stopped to think about the fact that skirts are actually less modest for most children!

I think Steve is a huge downer of a person and it'd be really easy for a few incidents of "wait, you guys don't let your kids do what now? Why?" by people who are otherwise likeminded for them to start actually thinking about WHY Steve required or banned certain things.

His reasons rarely make any sense whatsoever, to me, unless he's punishing himself by punishing and depriving the whole family. But the boys might decide they don't have the same out-of-control perv tendencies dad seems to have, and might not base their entire lives on avoiding temptation to look at boobs or whatever Steve's problem is.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 7
  • Thank You 1

I remember reading old posts from when Abigail was in the NICU and Nathan made those ridiculous comments about how the people who watched TV clearly didn’t have family devotions. Fundies are such either/or, black and white types. You can easily have both family devotions and watch TV!!

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

Some of the granddaughters have been seen in pants for awhile now.  Melanie wears pants at times, too, as well a couple or more of the other wives.  I think the sons have all or almost all abandoned some of Steve's precepts.  

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 7

Seriously, Steve is still obsessing about people he has no control over who live their lives in such a way that isn't Steve approved. He thinks everyone who enjoys entertainment will cry when standing before Jesus because they wasted all their time playing instead of worshipping. Because everything they do that isn't what Steve does is worthless & they're going to have to explain themselves to Steve Jesus at the gates one day. 

Then, of course, a series of bible verses that Steve apparently thinks back him up so you better do what he says!

• Upvote 7
  • Eyeroll 3

Finally took a look at Steve’s 70th pictures. I see Deb-deb still has the nose-scrunchy going on. Hope they don’t train that out of her like they did to poor Abby.  

The B and C daughters haven’t ever gotten as somber as Abby looked for a while, there, so hopefully Nate & Mel have started overlooking little things like that as they juggle six of ‘em. 

And a thought - did the Nate-Mel boys ever do the nose scrunch?  Do they still? I confess I get depressed at too much Maxinfo and haven’t been around much. 

Team Madeline, however!

ETA: @Bluebirdbluebell, WELL said!

And now I go read about real housewives or something, to get the remaining Stevil out of mind. 

Edited by MamaJunebug
  • Upvote 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic