IGNORED

Bontrager/Bowers 8: Cringeworthy

samurai_sarah

I also find it very strange for a Christian wedding not to have any congregational hymns. Is that normal in the US or is it just a fundie thing? Or is it odd even for a fundie Baptist wedding? I think I remember the Bontrager double wedding having one hymn, maybe, but even that doesn't seem like much.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

5 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

There is but when it's signed isn't a pre determined thing. It's civil, ceremonies like this are religious. They could sign after the ceremony, or before. In some states, they don't sign until after the license has been certified.

I see! So do you not sign if you have a religious ceremony? Is there a requirement to have witnesses?

Edited by seraaa
  • Upvote 3

Why do fundies always need to preach to other fundies about how good works won't get you into heaven?  It's not like they are friends with people like us.  

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 3

Just now, seraaa said:

I see! So do you not sign if you have a religious ceremony?

There may some religious thing you sign, but it is not a legal document. 

Legal marriage is the signing of the license. You can have all the ceremonies you want, but you are not legally married without the license being signed by an officiant, bride & groom, witnesses and then filed with the state. 

• Upvote 7

1 minute ago, MomJeans said:

Why do fundies always need to preach to other fundies about how good works won't get you into heaven?  It's not like they are friends with people like us.  

Maybe it's for the benefit of us, lol

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, seraaa said:

Maybe it's for the benefit of us, lol

That shit is going in one ear and out the other over here. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, MomJeans said:

So we just strangely stare at Denver's ass ?

Well at least it's a nice view ?

• Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Haha 8
  • I Agree 3

5 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

There may some religious thing you sign, but it is not a legal document. 

Legal marriage is the signing of the license. You can have all the ceremonies you want, but you are not legally married without the license being signed by an officiant, bride & groom, witnesses and then filed with the state. 

Ahh I see! I didn't know that. Here in the UK you sign the thing that makes you legally married after the ceremony (all the same people involved, tho - people getting married, the witnesses, and either the religious celebrant* or the registrar if it's a civil marriage)

* the ones who are approved to do it

Edited by seraaa
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

I got to see some of Marlin's ramblings, maybe its a good thing I got the time wrong I probably would have passed out by the end.

• Upvote 2

John and Abbie went there in the back right corner if you watch when Denver walks his mom down

Actually all the Duggars were there, jimbob and Michelle are on the left hand side

Edited by raayx01
  • Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Thank You 1

4 minutes ago, seraaa said:

I see! So do you not sign if you have a religious ceremony?

It depends on each state's requirements (a marriage license is issued by the State), but its not typically done during the ceremony itself regardless.  The big issue is that you need to remember to mail it in afterwards ; )

My sisters and their husbands signed theirs just before the religious ceremony because the Preacher mailed it in, and they wanted to move onto their photographs as soon as the ceremony was over.  

Mine was a courthouse ceremony, so we signed right after our kiss.  The clerk was handing us pens as we were kissing.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 2

Marlin and Becky chose to lead very different lives than how they were raised. Yet they expect their children to live exactly how they do. I wonder if they ever notice that hypocrisy. 

• Upvote 21
  • I Agree 2

5 minutes ago, MomJeans said:

There are some parts of fundamentalism that seems so easy. Profess the love for Jesus, carry around a Bible and highlighter and you’re good to go, express ticket through the pearly gates(are the gates pearly at fundie heaven?) Give me a good works DOER over a lazy, lip flapper any day of the week.

Just now, JermajestyDuggar said:

Marlin and Becky chose to lead very different lives than how they were raised. Yet they expect their children to live exactly how they do. I wonder if they ever notice that hypocrisy. 

Just like the Duggars, Bates and Maxwell parents. 

• Upvote 14

Just now, JermajestyDuggar said:

I was thinking a similar thing - that it would be very hard for any of the kids to have to have a conversation with them to say that they'd made even a slightly different life choice

• Upvote 8

4 minutes ago, MomJeans said:

It depends on each state's requirements (a marriage license is issued by the State), but its not typically done during the ceremony itself regardless.  The big issue is that you need to remember to mail it in afterwards ; )

My sisters and their husbands signed theirs just before the religious ceremony because the Preacher mailed it in, and they wanted to move onto their photographs as soon as the ceremony was over.  

Mine was a courthouse ceremony, so we signed right after our kiss.  The clerk was handing us pens as we were kissing.

That's what I did when I got married many years ago. Before the ceremony. In fact, we weren't even dressed (in wedding clothes) yet. My sister & I were getting ready, the ex's son knocked on the door and said the officiant needed us for a minute, we went out and signed. It was weeks before I saw the license again, as it was mailed back later. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

Abbie was sitting on her own at the end- nice of John to take Gracie out to change her nappy. A good excuse to escape.

Well, this has been good practice for me, building up to the Staddon/ Frazer wedding in May. I can't wait!

• Upvote 12

3 minutes ago, seraaa said:

I was thinking a similar thing - that it would be very hard for any of the kids to have to have a conversation with them to say that they'd made even a slightly different life choice

If the parent of said adult has difficulty accepting a slightly different life style choice, that reflects poorly on them. Maybe it’s time to pause and change course with your remaining minor children?

• Upvote 10

10 minutes ago, MomJeans said:

I see! I don't know why I never realised this before. I just assumed it was like here where you don't have a choice

Edited by seraaa
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, IsmeWeatherwax said:

Bugger I missed it

You can replay it. Click the livestream link and you can play it. 

• Thank You 2

The wedding isn't legal until the marriage license is signed either just before or just after the ceremony and before pictures are taken of the bridal party. Usually, the legal witnesses are the best man and the maid or matron of honor who sign. The officiant or best man is the one that mails the signed license for it to become fully legal.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

6 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

You can replay it. Click the livestream link and you can play it. 

I tried, but it has a different service announced now. Oh well. It's not like I missed much, I guess...

13 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

If the parent of said adult has difficulty accepting a slightly different life style choice, that reflects poorly on them. Maybe it’s time to pause and change course with your remaining minor children?

Exactly!  So many of the fundie families we talk about on here would have a fit if their children didn’t follow exactly what they say & do. Their not allow to question anything their parents say. 

• I Agree 5

Chelsy and John sang hymns at their wedding with the congregation. I can't imagine that these idiots let COVID decide anything, but choral singing with the congregation is a good way to spread the virus.  So it's probably just as well no group singing. 

On the other hand, none of that singing was good and none of those people should be working as musicians. 

1 minute ago, Nothing if not critical said:

I tried, but it has a different service announced now. Oh well. It's not like I missed much, I guess...

I can replay the wedding, so I'm trying to send you the link.

• Upvote 3

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic