IGNORED

It's Corner time again!

allyisyourpally5

Wonder if they schedule sex. lol

I think they did/do! If you read the old Corners through the Wayback Machine, you can view samples of some of their old schedules. After her Bible time and whatnot, she listed "time with Steve" right before her nightly prayers. That time could have been for talking and stuff rather than for sexytime, but it did make me laugh when I read it!

I think they did/do! If you read the old Corners through the Wayback Machine, you can view samples of some of their old schedules. After her Bible time and whatnot, she listed "time with Steve" right before her nightly prayers. That time could have been for talking and stuff rather than for sexytime, but it did make me laugh when I read it!

if it was for 2 minutes or less it was for sex.

No news! They don't watch tv, read newspapers or listen to the radio .

Bible study then. Talkin' God gets them all hot and bothered!

Guest Anonymous

My lifestyle would make Terry cringe. I get up, have some coffee, read the news, I don't have eight kids messing up a one bedroom apt. so there isn't a whole hell of a lot of cleaning that needs to get done. I do what pleases me, if cleaning or laundry doesn't please me, I take a walk like I did today. That is what retired is for me. I busted my ass working since I was 14, if i want to sit on my dead ass smoke some weed and ponder about what life is at 60 I sure as hell will. I gave up people laying their own guilt trips on me a long time ago.

I'll bet she and Stevie do it on the table. Now THAT would be making good use of idle time!

I just wish she liked her grandkids enough to play with them and to give Melanie a break so SHE doesn't get depressed like she did. And now there's to be yet another grandchild that she won't play with, either.

By filling her every waking minute of her life with endless crap she successfully avoids having time to think about how her life sucks.

Stay busy, Terri, for it sucketh greatly.

Ah but some people have never thought about doing little chores while waiting. It's for folk like them that these tidbits are published.

I wonder if Steve and Teri have sex while waiting for something else. "Oh Steve, I put this casserole in the oven and now I have to wait 10 minutes for it to finish cooking. Let's have sex and then I'll still have time to read the Bible afterward."

Or maybe Teri does something else while waiting for Steve to finish having sex with her. I guess she can't read the Bible in the dark, but maybe she makes mental shopping lists or something.

I think the schedule is an idol.

In all seriousness, staring-out-the-window-time tends to be what makes me think of God. It would be sad to me to feel that way only during Scheduled Prayer Time.

(also, hi to anyone who didn't read the kitty thread, where I delurked)

If Teri took three minutes to be still and gaze out the window while her tea brewed or whatever, she'd probably be too tempted to jump out the window and run away, screaming. I know I would. Their lives sound absolutely miserable. Nothing like a dose of the Maxwell blog to make me feel better about my life! :mrgreen:

Or "Gosh I wish I'd worked my butt off in school to get a 4.0 GPA all the while never spending time developing quality relationships." /bitter college student.

Or, "Dammit, if I had only folded more towels instead of flipping through catalogs with my morning coffee, I might be alive today!"

I had to do a search to find this thread again...things move FAST here on FJ!

Anyways, it suddenly occurred to me this morning what bothered me so much about Teri's current Corner, where she describes to her needy and attentive audience how she spent her few spare minutes. Something about it really struck me as infuriating (more so than usual Maxwell drivel) at the time, but I couldn't pinpoint why. This morning it became clear. Within a 4 minute period of time, I was heating water in the microwave for coffee (french press) AND for jello for later today, shredding junk mail, clearing yesterday's detritus off the counters and putting away the dishes that air-dried overnight. Without a single thought or Biblical motivation.

MOST of us learned those same skills through college and/or work. I have 8 years of higher education...I darn well know how to multitask with the best of them. I worked a high-pressure accounting job for years (ever hear of year-end closings?). I didn't read the Bible or someone's blog to realize I needed to do it, and to learn HOW to do it. I didn't use a single spreadsheet (for scheduling...I've used plenty for accounting).

These are the sorts of skills people miss out on by homeschooling and and never working outside the house...that sense of responsibility, self-motivation and persistence.

But these people are so isolated that they think they've discovered something new and wonderful when they can do two other things while waiting for water to boil, or whatever. They are just that special, that this gem of wisdom of multi-tasking was given directly to them, BY GOD. And it's so exciting they must share it immediately with their avid followers. (I love snarking on the Maxwells; I think they're my favorite fundies).

I think they are the type to pray both before and after sex :lol:

Does yelling "Oh God" count as prayer during?

It's important to remember that the Maxwell's don't have a lot to do. She had to invent chores to keep the kids busy. A SAHM with several young children will have no problem filling her days, but Teri and her daughters really have to work at it.

My morning schedule: I get up at 6-ish, shower and get dressed and drink a little coffee (which my husband makes). I then pick up around the house, make the bed and start laundry. My 16 year old gets up at 6:30 and gets himself breakfast then takes a shower. Usually at this point, my baby and 7 yo wake up, about 6:45, so I make something for breakfast. My daughters straggle in when they smell food, about 7. I clean up from breakfast while the kids eat and usually feed the baby some baby food at the same time. My husband usually leaves at 7:30. I then get my 4 yo dressed and do her hair. At 7:45, her preschool bus picks her up and then I make sure the 7 and 9 year old are getting ready while I give the baby a quick scrubdown and get him dressed. They have their morning chores (brush teeth, make bed, make sure your backpack is packed, etc) posted on the fridge, so I usually just remind them to do stuff and help with hair. Oh, and the computer is on the whole time because my classes are online, so I actually 'attend class' in Sociology and Anthropology (I alternate days) while doing all this. I turn over laundry just before we leave at 8:10, when I walk the kids to school. The baby and I get back at 8:30, and that is when the day starts.

I am a heathen, non-homeschooling Jew and I can basically run an empire in the amount of time it takes Teri to warm up a heating pad.

I am a heathen, non-homeschooling Jew and I can basically run an empire in the amount of time it takes Teri to warm up a heating pad.

The weird thing is that some of the "tricks" Teri uses I'm right on board with myself - perhaps we think alike in some ways. I agree with her that when you have a bunch of tasks to do and feel overwhelmed, writing them down can take all the decision making out of it and so make things easier (once the "to do list" is written up before you jump in, that is). Constantly thinking "okay, what should I do next" can waste time. As a programmer, I'm used to writing out a design before jumping into the coding, and it's pretty much the same idea.

I absolutely love the use of a timer, also - you can start a task whenever, no need to wait for a "neat" time like the top of the hour, and not feel any need to hit some "milestone" at it. Set the timer, do your scales or read the paper for 30 minutes, done.

That said, though, (1) I did not need to buy a book to learn these things - as someone else posted, working a stressful detail-oriented job or going through higher education will develop those skills, (2) I do this just fine as a secular person with no scriptural basis WHATSOEVER, and (3) no way on EARTH am I going to require every moment of my day be scheduled or even every day to have the same schedule.

In fact, the entire genius of the timer suggestion (IMHO) is that it means you don't NEED to have an exact schedule for everything!!!

Terri is a slacker. While hanging upside down on the inversion table, she could be listening to Bible tapes or getting her prayer time in

EXACTLY! Time-waster!

I like a schedule too (although I do not throw a hissy fit if we are "off" schedule, cuz life happens and all) and I have been known to set a timer for things as well (FlyLady suggests this too). I guess while I agree with the philosophy of not just letting your life go by willy-nilly, I get pissed that Teri presents it like it's her own creation and original idea. Lots of us liberal Christian heathens also try to make the most of our day and not waste time. I'm sure lots of agnostics and atheists do too.

Archived