IGNORED

Article about Jerry Falwell Jr

turquoise

Politico has a long article about Jerry Falwell, Jr. It sounds like he has a lot in common with Trump, including corruption, management through intimidation, and bragging about his sex life. 

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/09/09/jerry-falwell-liberty-university-loans-227914?fbclid=IwAR0EeY9GgmM8CWQIEciS0U6QQrhkdp81YWzOisitj0_WvoqDCG-SLtMdgrA

I couldn't decide if this belonged in Politics or Snark. Moderators, please move if you feel that would be best.

Edited by turquoise
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 9
  • Love 1

I personally think it belongs in the Politics Forum because Falwell endorsed Trump

Falwell endorsed Trump when Ted Cruz thought he had a lock on Falwell's endorsement. 

Falwell is a sleaze bag, a Deplorable.  Michael Cohen somehow knew about sex pics of Falwell and his wife ("Just terrible.") 

Tangled web, etc.. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 6
  • Love 1

Holy crap!  I'm in the process of reading the article -- I hadn't started when I posted above.  

The text under the spoiler below is jaw dropping.  I have to say, this must have been  written with the full knowledge that it's accurate, because if it's not accurate, it's an absolute damn libel magnet.  However, Falwell will just deny this and claim it's a smear tactic.  I'll put it under a spoiler because, ya know, naughty content and all. 

Spoiler

Longtime Liberty officials close to Falwell told me the university president has shown or texted his male confidants—including at least one employee who worked for him at Liberty—photos of his wife in provocative and sexual poses.

At Liberty, Falwell is “very, very vocal” about his “sex life,” in the words of one Liberty official—a characterization multiple current and former university officials and employees interviewed for this story support. In a car ride about a decade ago with a senior university official who has since left Liberty, “all he wanted to talk about was how he would nail his wife, how she couldn’t handle [his penis size], and stuff of that sort,” this former official recalled. Falwell did not respond to questions about this incident.

• Upvote 4
  • Disgust 7
  • WTF 4

It's been widely reported, and not refuted, that Michael Cohen "fixed" the leak of racy photos of Falwell Jr's wife, so this Politico article is probably on firm grounds.

Can't say that I'd be sorry to see Liberty University tank & close due to Falwell's financial shenanigans, which appear to be far more numerous & serious than previously reported. It'd be one to the good, as far as I'm concerned.

• Upvote 18
  • Love 1

From the Politico article linked upthread: 

Liberty is thriving financially. Its enrollment has surged past 110,000 students—the vast majority of whom are enrolled online

I'm thinking their big money machine comes from the online/remote learning students  

And this from the Liberty Uni web site:  

87% of all Liberty students in an online program are awarded financial aid. 

For my evil purposes, I'm going to make a wild guesstimate that "vast majority" = 80,000 students.

Let's do some math! 

From the Liberty Uni web site:  Liberty University Online Cost and Financial Aid Options

Tuition, per hour, for a "full time" undergraduate enrolled online for 12 hours  = $390/hour or $4,680/semester. 

Tuition, per hour, is higher for part-time students and graduate hours.  Some graduate programs have block costs/per semester or for a program. 

I'm assuming 12 semester hours as full time, because IIRC  that's the Federal requirement to be considered a full-time student and what keeps the loan repayment sharks at bay.  

I kept counting zeroes and checking my WTAF meter, because it was pegged in the red zone. Folks,  *checks calculator* that's over $374 million a semester, and that's probably on the low side. 

Liberty rakes in the tuition bucks, probably heavily subsidized by Federal student loans, and takes NONE of the risk.  From a cursory look at their website (no standardized testing required for admission!), they take almost anyone for online learning. 

They do have options for the military, which is a population that most needs on-line learning access, because military personnel are often stationed in remote locations with no access to colleges or universities.  Plus, cynical me, the Army pays towards tuition for continuing education, so another BIG source of revenue. 

Also, I'd be VERY interested in knowing how many of the faculty teaching on line and in the actual classroom are "affiliate" or adjunct instructors with MAs and PhD but not considered full-time faculty and therefore paid incredibly low wages. 

Also, Liberty University does not have tenure, so anyone speaking out about anything could be shown the door, in the most "Christian" way possible, of course. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 12
  • Thank You 5
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Howl said:

Also, I'd be VERY interested in knowing how many of the faculty teaching on line and in the actual classroom are "affiliate" or adjunct instructors with MAs and PhD but not considered full-time faculty and therefore paid incredibly low wages. 

Probably a majority of the faculty are "affiliate" and "adjunct" because LU doesn't have to pay any benefits then.

TBH, though, I'd be surprised if even the fulltime faculty get decent salaries & benefits -- do you suppose they have to use Scamaritan or something similar for healthcare?

Speaking of money, the 2016-17 IRS 990 is interesting. A couple of things caught my eye, apart from the handsome compensation package for Falwell Jr.

First, the number of grifting relatives of board members & "key employees" is a bit startling:

360082454_GriftingRelatives.thumb.png.e7a11a2c056d263a606b4d153c71427b.png

Second, what the fuck are they investing over $47 MILLION dollars into in Central America & the Caribbean?

645742608_WTFLU.thumb.png.683e55d53560a26cd833f87d275cda98.png

• Thank You 9
  • Love 1

I don't know which Scripture passage is more appropriate to reference:

Jesus driving the moneychangers out of the temple with a whip,

or

"Jesus wept."

Maybe both fit.

• Upvote 13
  • Love 4

I've enjoyed Mrs Betty Bowers tweets about Jerry Jr. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 9
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 1

Spoiler

"In a car ride about a decade ago with a senior university official who has since left Liberty, “all he wanted to talk about was how he would nail his wife, how she couldn’t handle [his penis size], and stuff of that sort,” this former official recalled. "

My first thought on reading this--- She couldn't handle it and he brags? That he's dominating her and quite possibly hurting her? Maybe he's just trying to suggest that she really likes it, but somehow I doubt it. That's not how a loving husband treats his wife.

I'm cynical whenever I hear about a man who feels the need to brag about his endowment or his prowess. More than likely he's lying to himself and everyone else.

I decided to put this quote (about how Jerry talked about his sex life) under a spoiler because I figure not everyone wants to read about that. Also because it upset me. He's vile.

Edited by turquoise
I don't know if I did the spoiler tag correctly
  • Upvote 12
  • Love 2

I’m reminded of Jim Bakker, who

Spoiler

reportedly told Jessica Hahn that Tammy Faye’s vagina was so large that he could feel nothing when they had sex.

• Disgust 5
  • WTF 1
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, smittykins said:

I’m reminded of Jim Bakker, who

Hide contents

reportedly told Jessica Hahn that Tammy Faye’s vagina was so large that he could feel nothing when they had sex.

Of course it would never occur to him that he probably has a penis the size of a pinky finger and that’s the actual problem. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 19
  • Love 3

I read that article. I was amazed. But I doubt anything will ever happen to him, because... persecution.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3

3 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

But I doubt anything will ever happen to him, because... persecution.

If you look at that IRS 990, you'll see that there are a LOT of people getting money from LU, one way or another. These people include those with fiduciary responsibilities, as in Board of Trustee members, as well as their family members. 

My guess is that when, not if, the IRS and/or the VA attorney general move in to examine just what's going on in this alleged "non-profit" institution, with its byzantine relationships & shady double-dealing, shit will fly and then people will turn on Falwell Jr. If it comes to them & their families versus Falwell and his obviously fraudulent activities, there will be no choice. Also, as much as I despise LU and would love to see it go away, I will give many of those same folks some credit for believing in the institution that Falwell Sr founded. Will they want to see it destroyed? I think not. They certainly won't want to go down with it.

Finally, this story has legs. The photographer who took the night club photos has posted more photos with Falwell in them, which kind of blows Jerry Jr's denials & cries of "Photoshop" out of the water.

• Upvote 12
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

I was interested to see how many times Falwell's wife was mentioned, too, and not in a good way. She seems just as invested in milking the institution as her husband does, and she doesn't care who knows it! The way they pushed his brother out....

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

On 9/9/2019 at 7:45 PM, kittenesque said:

Jerry Falwell and penis size in the same sentence...well time for some brain bleach.

Reality:  Jerry is normal sized

Jerry's wife: Ooooooh, Jerry, it's SOOOOO BIG! 

Also, why is the FBI involved?  Liberty is a private nor for profit. 

Or is Junior just flexing his muscles and demonstrating clout?

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 4
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, Howl said:

Reality:  Jerry is normal sized

Jerry's wife: Ooooooh, Jerry, it's SOOOOO BIG! 

I think it’s more likely his wife just doesn’t want to have sex with him because he’s an ass. So she makes up a lie that will stroke his fragile ego. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Howl said:

Most likely the latter; I am doubting the FBI is involved at all.

I do wonder why (rhetorical question) the DOJ is not involved due to violating 501c3 regs and misappropriation of federal student loan and Pell grant money.

• Upvote 10

26 minutes ago, apple1 said:

Most likely the latter; I am doubting the FBI is involved at all.

I think Junior is most likely just bloviating about the FBI.

But it would be awfully fitting if this brought down actual charges on his corrupt head.  

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4